Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Do you confront drivers that gave you the right hook?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-16, 12:26 AM
HBxRider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

When I say confront, I don't mean insulting or threatening them. But giving them a piece of your mind.

If the right hook wasn't too close, I just shrug it off. And of course 90% of the time, they are gone after that turn and you can't do anything about it. But tonight someone came as close as you could to hitting me, as they made a right turn into a parking lot. Since I knew they were about to stop and get out, I followed them, told them they almost hit me, and to be more careful. They said they didn't see me, so I flip my bike around, with my strobe tailight flashing, and said, "You're telling me you didn't see this?" (I also had a large strap with reflective tape wrapped around my waist and my helmet with reflective paint) Then they say "Who cares, you didn't get injured did you?" :facepalm: I say, "Is that an excuse to endanger someones life? There are no minor accidents when it comes to cars hitting bikes." They apologized, and I went on my way.

Is this overreacting? I don't have a horn to communicate to them that they f*&ked up. So I communicated that verbally (and calmly) People roadrage and commit acts of violence and property destruction over less. That is overreacting. And again, there are no "fender benders" when you're talking about car accidents involving bikes.

Should I just accept that it's futile? Maybe it is, but it still feels better to tell an idiot who almost hit you what they did wrong, rather than watch them drive away totally oblivious.

I'm considering getting one of those powerful air horns for bikes.

Last edited by HBxRider; 02-16-16 at 12:35 AM.
Old 02-16-16, 12:41 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I don't think you overreacted. Drivers are not used to checking the rear-view mirror before making a right turn. Now hopefully that one will know better and will make a mental note of any cyclists they pass and check before turning.

I've actually been in a minor bike accident with a car. It was a hook. I put a nice dent in his door but wasn't injured and there was no damage to my bike. He apologized profusely and threw in the obligatory "I didn't see you". A more accurate statement would be that he didn't notice me.

What I learned from that is to keep an eagle eye on every car passing me or in front of me while I'm in a bike lane and near an intersection. I'm not absolving the drivers from responsibility but hooks are common enough that cyclists need to be on the lookout.

If there is not a bike lane I try to ride where they can see me rather than way off to the right.

Last edited by tjspiel; 02-16-16 at 12:45 AM.
Old 02-16-16, 01:20 AM
hatrack71
bentrider

Bikes: Trek R200, Bike Friday NWT, Radius Hornet 2, Cruzbike Sofrider, Vision R-40 BF/ R-42, Actionbent Litespeed/ Jetstream, Bacchetta Giro (20 and 26), Tern Verge P9, Ryan Vanguard, Burley Limbo, Rans Stratus/ Wave/ V-Rex, Dahon Helios, others...

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been hit before and the driver fled. Wrecked a vintage Nishiki I used to own. I get pretty wound up when stuff like this happens. Mostly because cars are really hard on bike frames and people when they run them over. :^) Each case is different and not always cause to react for me though. If you thought the situation warranted talking to the guy, who's to tell you any different honestly? Would you have done anything differently? Been more or less polite? It was your experience... no one else was there. I feel you were warranted. Like one poster said in another thread... it's a jungle out there!

Last edited by hatrack71; 02-16-16 at 01:29 AM.
Old 02-16-16, 06:00 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Originally Posted by HBxRider
When I say confront, I don't mean insulting or threatening them. But giving them a piece of your mind.

If the right hook wasn't too close, I just shrug it off. And of course 90% of the time, they are gone after that turn and you can't do anything about it. …Then they say "Who cares, you didn't get injured did you?" :facepalm: I say, "Is that an excuse to endanger someones life? There are no minor accidents when it comes to cars hitting bikes." They apologized, and I went on my way.

Is this overreacting? I don't have a horn to communicate to them that they f*&ked up. So I communicated that verbally (and calmly) …

Should I just accept that it's futile? [Yes, IMO] Maybe it is, but it still feels better to tell an idiot who almost hit you what they did wrong, rather than watch them drive away totally oblivious.

Originally Posted by tjspiel
I don't think you overreacted. Drivers are not used to checking the rear-view mirror before making a right turn. Now hopefully that one will know better and will make a mental note of any cyclists they pass and check before turning…

What I learned from that is to keep an eagle eye on every car passing me or in front of me while I'm in a bike lane and near an intersection. I'm not absolving the drivers from responsibility but hooks are common enough that cyclists need to be on the lookout.

If there is not a bike lane I try to ride where they can see me rather than way off to the right.

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I haven't, but I'm not opposed to it.

I've had very few right hooks, and the few I have had were fairly innocuous. Rear view mirror and lane position pretty much takes care of this threat for me.
Well put @tjspiel, my practice also. “Make yourself as visible as possible, and assume nobody sees you.” (PS: Added quote by @AlmostTrick...how could I forget rearview mirror!? )

Regarding air horns, I have to wonder if I can react (safely) and quickly enough to respond effectively as with a car horn when driving.

BTW, just before reading this thread, I read this thread on A&S, ”Road Rage and police lineups” discussing the futility and even danger of flipping the bird.

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
1. You are NOT the OP. I did NOT even hint that the responce was "correct".... just expected.

2. Your responce is the perfect!!!!! It was the perfect OVER-REACTION!!!!

3. Do something as stupid as filp off a perfect stranger.... and expect a serious OVER REACTION. If you are not prepared for a violent exchange... don't flip the bird.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-16-16 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Added PS: added Quote by AlmostTrick
Old 02-16-16, 06:38 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston

BTW, just before reading this thread, I read this thread on A&S, ”Road Rage and police lineups” discussing the futility and even danger of flipping the bird.
The bad thing about pulling a quote from another thread is the lack of context. Don't misunderstand my intentions. My post was in reply to someone who made a threatening gesture and did not expect a violent reaction. I'm not totally against violent behavior. And I believe a large portion of the population may also become violent. Humans are a violent species.

Always EXPECT an over-reaction!

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 02-16-16 at 06:42 AM.
Old 02-16-16, 07:04 AM
Jim from Boston

The bad thing about pulling a quote from another thread is the lack of context. Don't misunderstand my intentions. My post was in reply to someone who made a threatening gesture and did not expect a violent reaction. I'm not totally against violent behavior. And I believe a large portion of the population may also become violent. Humans are a violent species.

Always EXPECT an over-reaction!
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply. I used your quote as a touchstone to refer to the entire discussion of flipping the bird on that A&S thread, and I quoted it with the best of intentions. That is such a universal reaction, that I didn't think it needed a specific context, though it was a sidebar discussion on that thread from a cyclist who did so and got a very hostile response.

BTW, I have previously posted about quoting,

Originally Posted by turbo1889
... Part of the reason I like forums as apposed to other forms of written communal internet forms is because I consider it the "long deep conversation format" rather then the quick short snappy sound bite like format like twitter and such.

…So when I nest quotes, I feel I’m emulating a conversation…”He said," then “You said," then “I said, and now I’m saying…” I leave my quotes as links to identify the author, and if anyone is interested in reading further, or verifying those quotes, they can easily be followed right from the post.

Instead of just snipping, I use ellipses,"..." to eliminate as much as possible, and still leave the context of the quote comprehensible; and I bold key words and phrases to emphasize the core content of the discussion.

While even if nobody reads my posts, I do try to communicate clearly to the reader. At least I try to evenly space, and keep my paragraphs short for easier readability, FWIW.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-16-16 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Added quote by turbo1889
Old 02-16-16, 07:39 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,635 Times in 946 Posts
It depends on how much you scare me. It is very rare for me to chase somebody down but I have yelled bad language a few times.

A few months ago a driver pulled along side me, then decided to pass the cars in front of him using the bicycle lane. He veered straight at me.

I yelled M* F* while shifting right expecting to fall and roll onto the sidewalk. Luckily a driveway showed up at just that second. Neither I nor the driver stopped tho. My exclamation was just an outburst of fear and rage. And the moment was past.
Old 02-16-16, 08:18 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts

I've had very few right hooks, and the few I have had were fairly innocuous. Rear view mirror and lane position pretty much takes care of this threat for me.
Old 02-16-16, 09:22 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
OP, don't ride to the right of cars while going through an intersection. It may be easier for me out in the leafy suburbs than say a busy city street. TAKE the lane when needed. Got a side view mirror? I use mine all the time to avoid potential issues. Expect bad driver behavior. Adjust your riding to counter that and be proactive.
Old 02-16-16, 09:27 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick

That's about it.
If one is having a certain issue often enough for it to become a problem, it would be wise to consider what one is doing wrong.
Old 02-16-16, 10:28 AM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Depends on the situation. Most often it happens when there are a lot of other drivers around so I just raise my hands in a what-the-hell look. The offender may not see it but other drivers will and it hopefully gets the message across to not drive like an idiot and do it without sending a message that cyclists are a bunch of over-reactive jerks.

That said, I rarely hesitate to confront someone if the situation warrants.
Old 02-16-16, 11:05 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
BTW, I have previously posted about quoting,
No offence Jim, but I tend to skip over your posts for the very reason that they are filled with quote upon quote. I'm sure you have a lot to contribute, but it takes a bit too much effort to comprehend.
Old 02-16-16, 11:30 AM
Jim from Boston

…BTW, I have previously posted about quoting...

Originally Posted by alan s
No offence Jim, but I tend to skip over your posts for the very reason that they are filled with quote upon quote. I'm sure you have a lot to contribute, but it takes a bit too much effort to comprehend.
Thanks, @alan s for your reply, and I do read your posts as I encounter them. I have previously written,

Posting has become an avocation for me…besides the exchange of information and ideas, I enjoy the mechanics of writing, such as grammar, composition , style, etc. for that addtional mental stimulation.

So with my experiences in cycling, and my frequent posting over the years, if I have replied on a recurrent topic, written to my satisfaction, I’ll just quote it. A further challenge then becomes finding the post…

Nonetheless, some subscribers just don’t get it.
And as I wrote to this current thread,

…So when I nest quotes, I feel I’m emulating a conversation…”He said," then “You said," then “I said, and now I’m saying…

While even if nobody reads my posts, I do try to communicate clearly to the reader. At least I try to evenly space, and keep my paragraphs short for easier readability, FWIW.
I have learned what, "tl, dr" means.
Old 02-16-16, 11:42 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by HBxRider
https://youtu.be/46l7movSZrU?list=PL...5TfAHK4EOymjDg
:13 seconds in. Been using Airzounds for 20+ years...life savers. All three bikes have one with the button in a different spot, and it's not a problem.
Old 02-16-16, 01:15 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
It been a few weeks for since it happened. But I was riding along at a decent speed.... When a car accelerated past me as we approached an intersection. Surprisingly, at least to me..... the car did NOT turn in front of me.

But maybe that's just me. I am always expecting motorist, pedestrians, other cyclists (myself included) to do something stupid.

I enjoy the challenges! The challenges of climbing the steep hill. The challenges of keeping up with fast traffic. The challenges of dealing with others and the risk involved with cycling. When traffic gets so bad it scares me or I get angry with the motorist I share the roads with it'll be time to polish up the golf clubs. Cycling isn't for everyone.

I can't say I've never been scared or angered (same thing) while cycling. But it has been rare, and I enjoy every ride.
Old 02-16-16, 01:35 PM
Jim from Boston

...but maybe that's just me. I am always expecting motorist, pedestrians, other cyclists (myself included) to do something stupid.

I enjoy the challenges! The challenges of climbing the steep hill. The challenges of keeping up with fast traffic. The challenges of dealing with others and the risk involved with cycling. When traffic gets so bad it scares me or I get angry with the motorist I share the roads with it'll be time to polish up the golf clubs. Cycling isn't for everyone.

I can't say I've never been scared or angered (same thing) while cycling. But it has been rare, and I enjoy every ride.
From Morning Report at Hill Street Blues circa 1981-1987:

Originally Posted by Sergeant Phil Esterhaus
Hey, let's be careful out there.

Originally Posted by Sergeant Stan Jablonski
Let's do it to them before they do it to us.
Old 02-17-16, 12:28 PM
Joe Minton

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, I do!

Joe
Old 02-17-16, 12:39 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Fed Ex Truck Passed and right hooked Me on a down hill street (I was not going Slow), I Finked them out to their HQ.
Old 02-17-16, 01:30 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18370 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
I've had a few drivers yell "sorry" after cutting me off. I haven't hit a car (a few close calls).

If I just need to slow down a bit, but keep going, then the turn is rude, but nothing to worry about.
If I'm leaving rubber on the pavement, then the driver usually knows.

For the right hook, it is usually a combination of cycling and driving. Not seeing a turn signal, or the car not signalling. And, riding it hot down a bike path. So, I also try to learn from the "mistake" to be a better defensive rider.
Old 02-17-16, 06:57 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,433 Posts
You can't antagonize and influence at the same time. If you think an explanation of what someone did wrong, it won't get across if you deliver it with an angry voice. If you deliver it respectfully, it still probably won't get across, because people don't like to be told what to do or that they've done something wrong.

To get angry is to lose the game. Expect people to do what people do. They cut you off. They fail to see you.

Be as predictable as possible. You might get a little respect on the road if you do stuff to show that you're there and not looking to cause anyone inconvenience. Then again, you might not. Don't expect respect even if you've done everything you think it takes to earn it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-17-16, 10:11 PM
dragoonO1

Bikes: My bicycles have two wheels.

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I had a bus overtake me and right hook me directly after a "Right turn yield to bicyclists" sign. I contacted the person in charge with that organization, and that bus driver who cut me off is no longer driving buses for them.
Old 02-18-16, 12:05 AM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I confronted a woman who cut me off at a red light. No blinker and she made a right hand turn into an apartment complex. I would say that I was passing on the right as she was stopped and the light turned green. She parked near the entrance so I took the opportunity to go chat with her. She was very apologetic. Hopefully I convinced her that she should ALWAYS use her blinker and if she had, I would have seen it and hung back so she could turn. Even if you don't see anyone, USE YOU BLINKER so that someone can see you!
Old 02-18-16, 06:59 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
When on my bike, I usually shout "Hey!" or "Caution!" and that's it. OTOH, once while driving someone cut me off, I confronted him and things went bad. So now I try to avoid confrontations while driving/riding.
Old 02-18-16, 08:40 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I have never had a close call right hook, so no I haven't confronted anyone. It's difficult to nearly impossible to get right hooked when you're not riding near the gutter. And even on the few places with wide lanes were I'm riding more to the right, I keep a sharp eye on my mirror at places where I know many people turn right. Haven't had any problems.

As far as confronting people, you should check out the channel Fraser Supersport on YouTube, it's a guy who rides regular bikes and a velomobile around SoCal. He often confronts people who do stupid stuff, but he does it in the most calm, cool and collected way I've ever seen.

Last edited by PatrickGSR94; 02-18-16 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-18-16, 12:32 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I make every effort to avoid confrontations but some are inevitable. the key is having a plan to de-escalate the situation and part ways without violence. you have to consider, what will be gained by a confrontation? remember you can report anything to the police of that town. doesn't mean anything will happen but sometimes they do visit the car driver or give them a call. in any case their plate number is now in the system so if they repeat a similar offense, there's a record of it. and that's really better than "teaching him a lesson" by yourself

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.