Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Do cyclists use bike lights at night in your area?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-16, 08:07 AM
RadfahrDavid281

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, BikeForums. I'm really losing my mind over this issue! Here in Northern Virginia, SO MANY (in fact, most) cyclists do not use bike lights at night. A few of them do, but they're mostly "working professionals" who make biking their lifestyle. The majority who don't, I've noticed, are mostly immigrants and a few teenagers (without picking on those two groups of people, I'm sure some "regular" people don't either).

As part of my anger used to control/manipulate people, I love yelling at people who break rules, when I get a chance: "You're supposed to have lights on at night!! Everywhere else in the nation, everyone uses bike lights!!!!"

Granted, I haven't been everywhere in the nation, but at least in Albuquerque, NM and Seattle, WA, and during a short trip to Charleston, SC, most everyone uses bike lights at night. OR, at the very least, the cops pull them over and cite them (I saw that in an episode of Cops that took place in California; of course, just like in most episodes, the suspect/cyclist had drugs on him ). It's funny, I remember one time in Albuquerque, I almost got run off the sidewalk by a college kid riding recklessly and with no helmet. But at least he had the sense to wear a headlamp.

In Fairfax County, you're supposed to have at least a front light and a rear reflector. BUT Fairfax County police almost never enforce that law. Plus, it requires people to go out and buy a separate clip-on light. Hence, most people/immigrants/teenagers simply don't bother. I am ready to move out of Northern Virginia as soon as possible and to a place where people (hopefully) have the sense to ride with bike lights at night.

Please help me put an end to this insanity. In YOUR area, do people use bike lights at night or no?
Old 07-14-16, 08:11 AM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Given what you said, maybe it's a simple matter of economics. If they can't afford a light, they won't have one. It could also be an issue of not knowing better.

This is a common issue in many parts of my area too. Even with street lights, just because you can see where you are going, doesn't mean others can see you. Lights work both ways like that!
Old 07-14-16, 08:18 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by RadfahrDavid281
As part of my anger used to control/manipulate people, I love yelling at people who break rules, when I get a chance: "You're supposed to have lights on at night!! Everywhere else in the nation, everyone uses bike lights!!!!"

[SKIP]
Please help me put an end to this insanity. In YOUR area, do people use bike lights at night or no?
I recommend that you do not be so quick to claim that others are demonstrating insane behavior.
Old 07-14-16, 08:32 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I see lights on about a quarter of them in the day (excluding the sidewalk riders and kids) and about half at night.

Don't yell at them please. They already know about lights and would have one if they wanted.
Old 07-14-16, 08:40 AM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
I'd say in my neighborhood in Brooklyn a majority of riders--maybe 70% as a rough estimate--have some kind of lights at night. There are still plenty of ninjas, though. And not all the people with lights have effective lights. But I do feel this is getting better, not worse.
Old 07-14-16, 08:43 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Don't yell at them please. They already know about lights and would have one if they wanted.
Sure, let's not huwt thew widdwe feewings by pointing out to them that they're complete idiots creating a hazard for all road users.
Old 07-14-16, 08:48 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
Sure, let's not huwt thew widdwe feewings by pointing out to them that they're complete idiots creating a hazard for all road users.
I don't care about their feelings, but it's none of your business And you're not necessarily right about whether it's that critical, or a hazard.
Old 07-14-16, 10:28 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
While your goals are noble, your self-righteous anger is not. Just as unlit cyclists may not be aware of the rules, or more fundamentally of how they may be endangering themselves and possibly others, you, David, may not be aware of the rules of civility, and how your anger may be endangering yourself and possibly others.

Riding or biking in traffic with this kind of anger is a danger to yourself and others.

The sooner you seek help managing your anger, the sooner you begin a happier, healthier life.

The sooner you learn to address life's injustices in a calmer, more positive manner the better. If you can't handle unlit bicyclists, how are you going to deal with life's true injustices like cancer and other debilitating, painful illnesses, natural disasters including flood, fire and famine, the the unfixable suffering of loved ones and others. And what of social injustices like war, poverty, hatred and bias.

The news is filled with headlines about angry, sanctimonious individuals and groups who lash out at others who don't follow "the rules" whether through choice or ignorance. This angry self-righteousness drives them to hurt, kill and maim those who don't see things their way.

David, the best way to help others "see the light" is to lead by example, not just how you equip your bicycle and follow the rules; but by how you interact with others.

Consider being considerate, and learn about your anger.
Old 07-14-16, 10:45 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by NYMXer
Given what you said, maybe it's a simple matter of economics.
A cheap bike light and some batteries costs less than a 6-pack of beer. Now tell me they are too economically challenged to purchase beer...

More and more cyclists in New Orleans are getting lights, and many are using those decorative lights that string all over the bike and wheels because it is cool, not because it might help motorists see them after dark. Bottom line, I am noticing plenty of lit up cyclists as compared to just five years ago.
Old 07-14-16, 10:55 AM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 92 Posts
I don't know about the ratio, but it's definitely a blend of lights/no lights here in Worcester, Massachusetts.
Old 07-14-16, 11:10 AM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
A cheap bike light and some batteries costs less than a 6-pack of beer. Now tell me they are too economically challenged to purchase beer...
We have some migrant farm workers that ride bikes to the fields (local black dirt region) in the early morning hours with near dark conditions and no lights. I doubt they can afford beer or a light and the bike was probably something someone threw away.

Then of course, there is the definition of what some people are calling beer today. A friend offered me a beer when we bbq'd with his family over the 4th of July and that beer was literally "flavored water". One was too many and it was warm before I finished it.

I like that the trend in your area is going in a safer direction. I ride with lights and wish everyone would but they don't and I can't make them but often wonder their reasoning. Is it lack of money, ignorance, defiance or do they feel immortal?

I guy once joined us on a night Mtb ride with a cheap light that held 3 or 4 AAA batteries. It was worthless beyond 5 feet of vision. As a matter of fact, we could hardly even see him sometimes. He never rode with us again and we put him in the middle too.

BTW, I have many friends down in La that are senior motocross riders that used to go by the club name "SSR". Maybe you know some of them? That would be a small world!
Old 07-14-16, 11:19 AM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 92 Posts
When I was a letter carrier, I noticed the poorer neighborhoods had lots of beeping smoke alarms. If they can't afford a battery for their smoke alarm, they probably aren't going to allocate money for a bike light.
Old 07-14-16, 11:26 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
As part of my anger used to control/manipulate people, I love yelling at people...
Get therapy.
In YOUR area, do people use bike lights at night or no?
Only if they want to get caught.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-14-16, 11:37 AM
randomgear

Bikes: '89 Specialized Hardrock Fixed Gear Commuter; 1984? Dawes Atlantis

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
In Boston some do and some don't; but it has gotten far better over the last 10 years since I started riding again and LEDs have replaced traditional bulbs - costs have gone down and brightness and battery life have increased. As previous posters have mentioned, those who in poorer neighborhoods or working low wage jobs probably won't have lights.

Bikes, unlike cars, don't come with lights and aren't required to come with lights. Most bike lights require changing out or recharging batteries at least once a week during the fall and winter when days are shorter and at least one leg of most commutes takes place in twilight and darkness. These are all barriers to full adoption of bike lights by everyone who bikes at night.

In previous years, BostonBikes, the City of Boston's bike program has given away free lights to people. But the batteries don't last for more than a few hours even on blinking and the batteries are expensive to replace. Still, they are trying.
Old 07-14-16, 12:25 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by NYMXer
Is it lack of money, ignorance, defiance or do they feel immortal?
Some people can't think. So your ignorance theory comes closest to the truth.

I guy once joined us on a night Mtb ride with a cheap light that held 3 or 4 AAA batteries. It was worthless beyond 5 feet of vision. As a matter of fact, we could hardly even see him sometimes. He never rode with us again and we put him in the middle too.
Y'all kept blinding him with your ridiculously bright lights!

BTW, I have many friends down in La that are senior motocross riders that used to go by the club name "SSR". Maybe you know some of them? That would be a small world!
Nope, never had the pleasure. NOLA is a small world for sure but the state is pretty spread out population-wise.
Old 07-14-16, 12:36 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Just as unlit cyclists may not be aware of the rules, or more fundamentally of how they may be endangering themselves
They're not Clintons. They bear the responsibility for learning the laws regarding any activity they decide to participate in. Or would you be OK with random people just deciding they want to drive, picking up a car off Craigslist for cash, and not bothering with training or a license?

Yelling at them doesn't cost them anything, and might eventually get the point across.
Old 07-14-16, 12:43 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Hello, BikeForums. I'm really losing my mind over this issue! Here in Northern Virginia, SO MANY (in fact, most) cyclists do not use bike lights at night. A few of them do, but they're mostly "working professionals" who make biking their lifestyle. The majority who don't, I've noticed, are mostly immigrants and a few teenagers (without picking on those two groups of people, I'm sure some "regular" people don't either).

Granted, I haven't been everywhere in the nation, but at least in Albuquerque, NM and Seattle, WA, and during a short trip to Charleston, SC, most everyone uses bike lights at night. OR, at the very least, the cops pull them over and cite them (I saw that in an episode of Cops that took place in California; of course, just like in most episodes, the suspect/cyclist had drugs on him ). It's funny, I remember one time in Albuquerque, I almost got run off the sidewalk by a college kid riding recklessly and with no helmet. But at least he had the sense to wear a headlamp.

In Fairfax County, you're supposed to have at least a front light and a rear reflector. BUT Fairfax County police almost never enforce that law. Plus, it requires people to go out and buy a separate clip-on light. Hence, most people/immigrants/teenagers simply don't bother. I am ready to move out of Northern Virginia as soon as possible and to a place where people (hopefully) have the sense to ride with bike lights at night.

Become a nice rider.

Buy some extra Lights and give them away to those that You think need them.

Old 07-14-16, 01:23 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
In Michigan, it is state law.

That said, I'd say it is about a 50/50 mix. The people commuting on bikes because they have no other transit options generally don't, the people that would likely be on this site generally have nice light sets, and everyone else is a crapshoot from nothing to back only to single LEDs to actual sets.
Old 07-14-16, 01:30 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
"Do cyclists use bike lights at night in your area?"

Some do, some don't.
Old 07-14-16, 02:07 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Around here, maybe 90% of the riders on the road use lights at night.
Some bike paths, however, are treacherous.

I would assume lights are used more by long-distance riders than neighborhood riders.

Perhaps there would be a way to get a grant from the local city to buy and distribute lights.

With some luck, one might be able to do a bulk order of these lights, white front, red rear,
15¢ each.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...145786719.html

1000 should cost about $150.

Find a place to give them away for free, limit a couple per person.

You could also come up with a logo "Safety First" or something that you could get printed on your lights. Which could also track resale if that would be an issue.
Old 07-14-16, 03:02 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Homeless cyclist - NO
other cyclist - YES
Old 07-14-16, 03:19 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Perhaps there would be a way to get a grant from the local city to buy and distribute lights.
The City of Ann Arbor did that last summer for anyone who lived or worked in the city.

Not particularly a fan of handing out required safety equipment myself, we don't hand out free lights to motorists who can't afford to replace a burnt out taillight, we give them a fix-it ticket. In any case, with a light set running under $10 at most big box places, I don't really buy the argument that it is cost prohibitive.
Old 07-14-16, 03:32 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
Most riders in my city of Fort Wayne do not use lights of any kind! They hate living here so bad they would rather die since they can't leave.

Lately in the last 2 or 3 years I do see a tad more riders using lights but for the most part they don't.
Old 07-14-16, 04:32 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I know what you are talking about. I have participated in light give-aways in Fairfax and Arlington Counties when it has started to become dusk. Yet cyclists' with no lights would just ride by without stopping.
Old 07-14-16, 10:11 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes they do in my area , but I'm old enough to remember as a kid , many of us didn't . Back then it was a matter of short term poverty . No consideration for long term pain if you don't have the dough maybe .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.