Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is discoloration "normal" with carbon wheels?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-18-17, 05:39 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts

I've owned a number of carbon wheels (including other ENVE's) over the years and never had this problem. I called ENVE Customer Service -- always great -- and was told that this is normal. It's supposedly a chemical used in the manufacturing process working its way to the surface. My six week old ENVE 3.4 Disc wheels are showing light white lines / discoloration on the rims. On the front, they are on either side of where the spokes enter the rim. On the rear, they run along the line of the spokes.

It's not attractive, but it doesn't seem to be a structural issue. It won't wash off. It's in the rim material. Have any of you experienced this with carbon wheels?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0488.jpg (93.8 KB, 587 views)
IMG_0493.jpg (85.3 KB, 577 views)
Old 08-18-17, 07:13 AM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
It looks like to me a clear coat problem. But I'm not there to actually see it. Will ENVE let you send them in for inspection?
Cheers
Old 08-18-17, 07:41 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

ENVE already gave their diagnosis from the photos. (see, my original post). It's not a superficial finish issue. According to them, this is fairly common, especially with their MTB wheels. My question is whether it is common with carbon wheels, in general.
Old 08-18-17, 04:27 PM
MrCharlie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got it on two pairs of my enves...never gave it much thought.
Old 08-18-17, 04:35 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
No, it is not standard. I'd be p****d considering their prices.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 08-18-17, 05:20 PM
RShantz

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
I've got 10k miles on a set of Bontrager's in about 13 months use with no such issues. I use them as my everyday wheelset in all conditions. I'd be disappointed (not crazy upset) if they looked like yours even after a year or two.
Old 08-18-17, 05:24 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Would be interesting if Coach Boyd or November Dave could opine on this. "Normal"? Really?
Old 08-18-17, 08:38 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
I won't be buying ENVEs. How disappointing, considering the cost.
Old 08-19-17, 12:04 AM
Secret Squirrel

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Interesting response to your inquiry. I wouldn't be surprised for a manufacturer to give you the "it's within tolerance" patented answer. If it isn't a structural then it's surely a appearance defect that should be related to quality control. With the significant cost liability of accepting a warranty claim, it predictable that the company would state that it's normal. Either way, I haven't seen any type of prepreg carbon that cures,shows a cloudy residue in the resin and is still considered acceptable for a class A surface.
Old 08-19-17, 05:50 AM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Looks like clear coat gone wrong! It either wasn't mixed correctly, no addition of a flex agent, and/or they didn't use an adhesion promoter prior to applying the finish coat which is standard when working with flexible painting surfaces. I agree that for the money Enve gets for their wheels I'd be looking to have them address this issue asap. Otherwise, my next set of wheels would not be Enve's. Those wheels look like their years old, not months old.
Likes For dvdslw:
Old 08-19-17, 02:26 PM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Not normal. I've only had a little fade due to sun exposure on ten year old motorcycle parts...never anything like you have.

Edit at 10-13-2019...the Vision wheel set on my 2017 Domane do not have this issue. They were too new to comment on at the time of my original post.

Last edited by Stormsedge; 10-13-19 at 04:40 AM.
Old 08-20-17, 02:20 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I've done a fair amount of carbon fabrication for the military. I've never seen carbon laminates show that or any other discoloration. I'm going to poke around the web for a bit to see if anything turns up.
Old 08-20-17, 06:05 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I've had both Eastons and Zipp and nothing like that on either.
Old 08-20-17, 07:23 PM
enzo thecat

Bikes: 2017 Trek P1 Domane SLR 7, 2016 Boone SLR 7

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These are my Bontrager Aeolus 5 Carbon wheels. They are a year old. I wetted my finger and swiped the carbon so you can see the contrast in how much they have deteriorated cosmetically. (they used to be a uniform black like the wet spot). I'm extremely disappointed about it.
Attached Images
IMG_5034.jpg (90.7 KB, 384 views)

Last edited by enzo thecat; 08-20-17 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-20-17, 07:41 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
There are releasing agents applied to molds to make it easier to remove the rim after baking. There are water based and oil based agents. And, like most things, some are better than others.

Those agents can sometimes interact with the clear coat if the rim is not properly prep'd. That's what this looks like to me.

Clearly the cloarcoat is coming off.

It could also be that the clearcoat was too thin. There is a struggle to add enough clearcoat to protect the rim but not too much as it adds weight.

I'd go back to ENVE with your concerns. Even though it's cosmetic, they're new and very spendy.

Old 08-20-17, 10:01 PM
johnnytheboy

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
my reynolds assault (and most i've seen) look like this.
Old 08-21-17, 12:35 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

The carbon rims that I buy are so cheap that I wouldn't have the nerve to be offended if they had cosmetic issues. Fortunately they don't.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-22-17, 03:33 AM
ebow3d

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
Yes, my Chinese rims still look new after almost a year. Clearly they use a better clearcoat and releasing agent.
Old 08-22-17, 08:33 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by ebow3d
Yes, my Chinese rims still look new after almost a year. Clearly they use a better clearcoat and releasing agent.
Clearly.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Likes For rpenmanparker:
Old 10-13-19, 03:47 AM
jrbharrison

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Enve know they have a problem with this - Buyer beware

I have the same issue on my 5.6ses.. after 4 months of use road use they look terrible.. pushed to get a replacement set.. even these have white marks on.. Enve are telling me its a big issue for them and they are testing 00's of compounds to get this fixed but in the mean time I'm not to worry as they are covered under warranty. I'm awaiting clarification to make sure they pay for any rebuild cost.. Have no idea why a such a desirable brand puts product into the market where they know they have a problem.. Interesting to read about some of the history of Enve which nearly went under a decade ago and it was admitted that half of the product they produced did not meet standards.. have a new factory now.. but clearly still issues.. If I did it again I'd be having ZIPP..
Old 10-13-19, 04:37 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Originally Posted by jrbharrison
If I did it again I'd be having ZIPP..
Not me. ZIPP has had persistent hub issues for years. They've even come out with subsequent models of hub -- same issues. I would rather have a cosmetic issue than a functional one.

Having said that . . . since this thread has been raised from the crypt, I can give an update. My ENVE's still look exactly as they did in my photos. There's still no flaking. Nothing unstable. (Neither I nor ENVE ever thought it was a clearcoat issue -- and it's not.) And the wheels are working great.

But I'm a little troubled by ENVE's advocacy of hookless rims on new products. As with pressfit bottom brackets, this is another design change purely to save the manufacturer money. Sacrificing customer functionality for cost savings at the plant. No doubt it will work fine for a lot of people, but it obviously leaves some customers holding the bag.
Old 10-13-19, 09:13 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
Not me. ZIPP has had persistent hub issues for years. They've even come out with subsequent models of hub -- same issues.
23,000+ miles on my 303s. I did sent the front back for the hub recall 2 years ago. Not a single problem and they are dead true and never needed to be touched.

Woiks for me.
Old 10-13-19, 09:31 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I was not super happy with my Zipp wheelsets. The hub recall and the fact that the aluminum free hub bodies did not last for me, made me switch out the hubs.
Old 10-13-19, 12:19 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I'm in the marine industry and have used a lot of epoxies and coatings. The issue with epoxy resin out in the sunlight is that UV degrades its surface, usually turning it a milky gray. This is ugly, but isn't a structural issue unless the laminate is extremely thin, which rims are not. The solution is a UV resistant coating. Paint works best, especially polyurethane. Clear coat is next best. The polyurethane clear coatings I've used have been the most successful. Painting, including clear coating, is 90% perfect prep, meaning that that's also where the costs are.

So the simplest thing to do is to sand the surface lightly with 220, then 320, removing all the clear coat, clean with appropriate alcohol solvent, and shoot with black semi-gloss poly. Helps if you're a pro spray painter. A body shop could do it.

The paint peeled really badly on my carbon Trek, and their free frame repaint did the same, undoubtedly because of cheap, lousy prep. I just sanded all the paint off and now coat it with 3M 303 protectant. At least I can see the surface of the laminate and know what I'm looking at. I wouldn't use that stuff on a rim with a brake track though.

If you're worried about whether those lines are in the coating or the epoxy, just sand through the clear coat in a spot with 320 or 400 and wet that spot. Simple. But almost certainly those are cracks in the coating. I've never seen that on one of our boats, so I don't know what they did, but you can bet cost had something to do with it.

Along with this, one of the things bike manufacturers have do deal with is weight. Coatings add weight, Thicker, more durable coatings add more weight, duh. So they want to put on the thinnest stuff they can to cut the advertised weight.
Old 10-14-19, 01:34 AM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
It bemuses that a 'hi-techy' company such as Zipp has so many hub problems. I've had some Token C50 wheels for over 10 years, and the cheapo, re-badged American Classic hubs on them have never missed a beat. They still run very smoothly, especially the front (understandably), even though the front is the Micro model with the small cartridge bearings that some "expert" on a forum said only last 3,000km -- what a joke. Ha.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.