Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Swapping rims, trying to keep the rest

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-18, 12:25 PM
chaseme

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A while back I ordered custom wheels from Chain Reaction. I was really tight on the budget so I went cheap on my rims & spokes, with the intention to change them down the road. I'm now looking at changing them to Stan's Arch MK3, and the ERD is only a 2mm diff. I'm contemplating the idea of doing a straight swap, as I've read a 1mm difference for the spokes is acceptable.

Back story, the hubs are Hope Pro4s. Spokes are plain gauge DT Champions, nipples are brass. I'd be going from a WTB i23 to the Arch MK3. I've ridden these wheels about a dozen times, wheels have been true since delivery. Nipples untouched etc.

I'm going to get the wheels out and pull the rim strips to check the nipples/spokes etc in the bed. What should I be looking for to see if this will work or not?
Old 03-27-18, 12:43 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I recommend getting new hubs and spokes and keeping your original wheels as backups. Nothing quite so useful as a backup set of wheels, unless you have a complete backup bike.
Old 03-27-18, 12:55 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by chaseme
A while back I ordered custom wheels from Chain Reaction. I was really tight on the budget so I went cheap on my rims & spokes, with the intention to change them down the road. I'm now looking at changing them to Stan's Arch MK3, and the ERD is only a 2mm diff. I'm contemplating the idea of doing a straight swap, as I've read a 1mm difference for the spokes is acceptable.

Back story, the hubs are Hope Pro4s. Spokes are plain gauge DT Champions, nipples are brass. I'd be going from a WTB i23 to the Arch MK3. I've ridden these wheels about a dozen times, wheels have been true since delivery. Nipples untouched etc.

I'm going to get the wheels out and pull the rim strips to check the nipples/spokes etc in the bed. What should I be looking for to see if this will work or not?
Maybe first swap in butted spokes so they'll be right for the rims. Then swap the rims after another dozen rides. Then swap the hubs.

Hey, you'll have NEW-new wheels after only 36 rides! (Then plan for new nipples.)

Seems a good response to the problem of what to do with newish true wheels on a tight budget.

Last edited by AnkleWork; 03-27-18 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-27-18, 12:57 PM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If the ERD is 1-2mm smaller than the old rim, maybe... if it's bigger, replace the spokes. I had a set of factory wheels that were built with spokes a couple mm short and I kept breaking the heads off of the nipples. Rebuilt them with proper length spokes and they have been rock solid for about 2 years.

That being said, there is a fine line if the spokes are longer than you need. Long spokes and you run the risk of running out of thread and bottoming out the nipple before the spoke's fully tensioned. If you don't care about adding a little extra weight, you could possibly get away with adding nipple washers, but really the best solution is to replace the spokes with the rims (that's what I'm in the process of doing right now).

Or, like @TrojanHorse said, just get a second set of wheels. I currently have three more sets of wheels than I have bikes.
Old 03-27-18, 01:18 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
What's the difference in ERD? +2 or -2?
Look at the existing nipples and see where the spoke end is in relation to the screwdriver slot.

If below the slot, a larger ERD will make it shorter yet.

Assuming the published ERD "could" be problematic. More so if different manfs.
OTOH, if it doesn't work, you could always reassemble the old wheels or buy the correct parts.
Old 03-27-18, 01:25 PM
chaseme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
What's the difference in ERD? +2 or -2?
Look at the existing nipples and see where the spoke end is in relation to the screwdriver slot.

If below the slot, a larger ERD will make it shorter yet.

Assuming the published ERD "could" be problematic. More so if different manfs.
OTOH, if it doesn't work, you could always reassemble the old wheels or buy the correct parts.
Current rims are published ERD of 540mm, new rims are published ERD of 542mm. Perhaps it isn't worth it to go cheap on this and avoid the spoke cost etc...
Old 03-27-18, 01:30 PM
TallRider

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Rim swapping is less work than relacing a wheel, and if you get to keep good spokes that are already seated and stress-relieved, all the better. I tape the rims together (with paper towel or something between them so the braking surfaces don't scratch each other), but the double-rimmed wheel on the truing stand, and move the spokes over one by one before building up tension on the new rim.
That said, you're starting out with cheaper spokes (I'm guessing 2.0 straight-gauge aka 14-gauge), and the ERD difference may be problematic. If you're going to replace spokes and rim, I'd recommend you keep your current wheels (hubs aren't that expensive) and just build new wheels.

If you already have butted spokes (typically 2.0/1.8/2.0 in the cheaper versions), then you could swap the rim if either of the following conditions are met:
* If the new rim has slightly smaller ERD (-2), you could get away with it if the spokes seem a touch on the short side already.
* If the new rim has a slightly larger ERD (+2), you could get away with it if the spokes seem a touch on the long side already.
Note that spokes will only be 1mm shorter or longer than before, for a rim diameter that is 2mm shorter or longer. So you have some flexibility here.

Last edited by TallRider; 03-27-18 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-27-18, 01:31 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Assuming the ERD's are correct, you'd need a 1mm longer spoke.
IF your current wheel has the spoke end slightly long, you should be good. Slightly short and expect possible nipple breakage.
Old 03-27-18, 01:38 PM
chaseme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys, great info here! Glad I asked as there is a lot more going on than I thought.
Old 03-27-18, 02:34 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Thanks guys, great info here! Glad I asked as there is a lot more going on than I thought.
So, you need to look at where the spokes end on the curent build. The spoke end "target" is, typically, the bottom of the nipple screwdriver slot. The depth of the srewdriver slot is about 1mm below the end of the nipple. If the spoke ends reach the end of the nipple, or extend beyond it, on every spoke, you stand a good chance.

As already mentioned, ERD values that you find, even when published by the rim maker, may be different than what you may consider ideal. Also, with dished wheels, ideal spoke length will be different for each side so you may have different spoke end location for the drive and non-drive sides of a dished rear wheel, for example. So, check every spoke.
Old 03-27-18, 04:25 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
The only time I re-use straight gauge spokes on a wheel is if I'm trying to do it as cheap as possible, or to keep some originality. @chaseme, if you do rebuild your wheels, they deserve better spokes.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-27-18, 05:30 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Something else to consider is how old is the current wheel?
Depending on time/conditions, the nipples may have started to corrode to the spokes.
Even if light, it reduces your "feel" when tensioning. Depending on the severity, it can become a PITA.
It makes it way more difficult if you are an inexperienced wheel builder.
Old 03-28-18, 01:07 PM
chaseme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the end I'm going to go all new, re-using my Hope hubs. Thanks for the reality check all!
Old 03-28-18, 01:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,987 Times in 2,662 Posts
Generally it is bad practice to reuse spokes. Plus you spent the money to build the wheels so taking them apart would be a little silly. Just build a new set and have some back ups or if you really don't care about money re use the hubs and rims either for that build or another.
Old 03-28-18, 01:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
An Identical Rim, replacing a Pringled /taco bent one , when the spokes were not very old, has worked for me..
Old 03-28-18, 01:45 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Question (one I ask my self a lot) How much benefit/improvement will you get from the new rims? Will it really be that much? If not, use them as they are, put the $$ you would spend redoing them into the jar for saving for a new wheelset

Old 03-28-18, 03:29 PM
Ghrumpy

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Generally it is bad practice to reuse spokes.
I think your statement leaves too many variables unstated for it to be useful advice. One way I suggest you could improve it that if you are going to claim it is "generally" bad practice, there is the clear implication that there are some specific situations in which it would be an acceptable practice. It would be most helpful to share what you believe those specifics are.

But I frankly disagree anyway. It is my personal and professional experience that even mediocre-quality spokes in a reasonably well-built wheel will easily outlast many rims. One reason may be that the majority of riders will never put enough mileage and/or load on their wheels to cause their spokes to break from fatigue.

But it has even more to do with steel's properties. From a theoretical standpoint, steel has no fatigue limit. IOW, if steel spokes are kept under a certain threshold of stress, and there aren't stress risers that precipitate premature failure, they will have what's considered by engineers to be an infinite fatigue life. That's what's cool about steel in the first place. And this correlates very well to my experience, which is that the overwhelming majority of spoke failures I've seen have been due to physical damage like corrosion or notching, improper build processes and tensioning, or defective manufacturing.

So IMPO, if you aren't having problems with your current spokes, and they are the correct length, there are few if any compelling reasons or situations not to reuse them. If you remove them from the hub (which there is no reason to do for a simple rim swap) then it is best to separate them into head-in/head-out piles and retain that orientation when relacing. Having done that, you can build with them with good confidence.
Old 03-28-18, 05:28 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
It depends. Aiming for the nipple slots, spokes 1mm too short can break nipples. Aiming for the tops, 1.5mm too long will bottom nipples. Although the published ERD is only 2mm off, actual ERDs can vary by 1-2mm from published.

Buy your rims, measure ERD, then get spokes if what you have don't match.

If they do match, remove tension, tape the new rims to the old in three places, move spokes one at a time, remove the old rim, and tension + true normally.
Old 03-28-18, 05:29 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Generally it is bad practice to reuse spokes. Plus you spent the money to build the wheels so taking them apart would be a little silly. Just build a new set and have some back ups or if you really don't care about money re use the hubs and rims either for that build or another.
Throwing out spokes is silly when the wheels were properly built. They last hundreds of thousands of miles, and swapping rims is faster without re-lacing.
Old 03-28-18, 06:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Throwing out spokes is silly when the wheels were properly built. They last hundreds of thousands of miles, and swapping rims is faster without re-lacing.
All the mechanics (who also build wheels) I have worked with over the years have generally suggested not doing this. I never said anything about throwing out spokes...make skewers out of them and grill up some rum soaked pineapple for a tasty treat
Old 03-28-18, 06:45 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

All the mechanics (who also build wheels) I have worked with over the years have generally suggested not doing this. I never said anything about throwing out spokes...make skewers out of them and grill up some rum soaked pineapple for a tasty treat
All the professional mechanics you talked to were dealing with wheels of unknown provenance where customers would expect them to personally resolve any issues. I wouldn't reuse spokes in that situation either.

In a wheels I built I do. Jobst Brandt did and had 300,000 or 400,000 miles on his spokes having replaced rims and bearings numerous times.

If you trust the wheel builder and lengths match, there's no reason not to.

That one's harder. I'd trust myself to build or stress relieve wheels. I would only trust single person operations where the hands that earned the reputation built the wheels.
Old 03-28-18, 07:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
All the professional mechanics you talked to were dealing with wheels of unknown provenance where customers would expect them to personally resolve any issues. I wouldn't reuse spokes in that situation either.

In a wheels I built I do. Jobst Brandt did and had 300,000 or 400,000 miles on his spokes having replaced rims and bearings numerous times.

If you trust the wheel builder and lengths match, there's no reason not to.

That one's harder. I'd trust myself to build or stress relieve wheels. I would only trust single person operations where the hands that earned the reputation built the wheels.
Not necessarily in some cases they were known who built them. Yes of course a wheel of unknown provenance I would 110% not reuse spokes but I still generally wouldn't swap spokes on most any wheel unless the wheel had a really light life and even then I don't know. Jobst Brandt did a lot of things and was highly regarded and for many still is however I won't always agree with him.

I generally don't trust my wheel builds with anyone that I don't know well or know of their expertise and wheel mastery. My touring wheels were built up by Bill Mould for instance and he is pretty well known for his wheels...Hubba HubbaThe wheels have been perfect but I know I wouldn't swap spokes on that just because those wheels have seen and are going to continue seeing some serious use.
Old 03-28-18, 11:35 PM
Ghrumpy

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Not necessarily in some cases they were known who built them. Yes of course a wheel of unknown provenance I would 110% not reuse spokes but I still generally wouldn't swap spokes on most any wheel unless the wheel had a really light life and even then I don't know. Jobst Brandt did a lot of things and was highly regarded and for many still is however I won't always agree with him.
I agree that Jobst wasn't always 100% correct (who is?) but to imply that that 110% negates reusing spokes is really an ad hominem fallacy, and not a compelling argument. Make your point on its merits, not on Jobst's reputation.

Depending on the wheel design, of course, the chance of a single spoke fatigue failure in a reasonably well-built traditional wheel is extremely low. The more extreme the wheel design, the closer to the cutting edge it is, the less margin of error there is. Of course that has to be taken into account. Even so, the chances of multiple spoke failures is exponentially lower. The chance of complete wheel failure due to multiple spoke failures is exponentially lower still. And even when spokes fail, it's usually a simple matter to replace them.

I generally don't trust my wheel builds with anyone that I don't know well or know of their expertise and wheel mastery. My touring wheels were built up by Bill Mould for instance and he is pretty well known for his wheels...Hubba HubbaThe wheels have been perfect but I know I wouldn't swap spokes on that just because those wheels have seen and are going to continue seeing some serious use.
I highly recommend you read this post:
Spoke Breakage - Getting Real - Wheel Fanatyk
In fact, I recommend you spend a lot of time on that site. Great for busting superstitions about spokes and wheels.
Old 03-28-18, 11:57 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
The thing here for me is that OP is replacing wheels built by a wheelbuilder, with wheels built by himself.

What features do the Stans rims have that the WTB rims do not? Tubeless beads? You can buy a kit from Stan's that will accommodate that.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-29-18, 11:09 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
@chaseme, which WTB rims are you using, specifically? I would guess from your comments about starting out cheap that you're on the Frequency Team, but those have a published ERD of only 536, so I don't see reusing those spokes on a 542mm ERD rim even if you wanted to.

Which is just as well, because butted spokes are kinder to really lightweight rims.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.