Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Who rides the Maruishi MT18?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-16-18, 06:19 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 212 Posts

Does anyone here ride the Maruishi MT18? It's a Japanese made, steel, lugged frame. The tubing decal states cro-mo tubing but no other MFG / calibre identifiers.
Old 05-18-18, 10:29 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I haven't ridden one but have seen a few. The MT18,(aka Mountace), came out circa 1984. The frames were initially plain gauge CrMo. In 1985, it was upgraded to double butted CrMo and lighter rims, dropping almost 2 lbs. While the tubing decal was generic, the 1985 version stated "butted frame tubes". Since you don't mention this, I assume you have the 1984 model. The tubing, at least in 1985, was made by Ishiwata. If you remove the fork, there may be a manufacturer's logo and date code,on the steerer tube. The serial number should also tell us the manufacturer date and consequently, the model year. The seat post size,is a good indicator of tubing grade.

The components were mostly top notch for the day. The only thing really holding a 1984 MT18 back from being called high end, was the plain gauge tubing and Japanese heritage, though even that was arguable.
Old 05-19-18, 03:33 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Hi T-Mar, useful info as always. I bought this Mountace because of the size of frame and it's 3 water bottle mounting points. The metallic sea green/blue is nice but the rust is bad in parts. It's a candidate for a partial or full re-paint. I'll see about some photos for posterity beforehand. It uses a 180mm Takagi Tourney crankset, MC-70 cantilevers, Shimano MT-700 thumbshifters, Deerhead derailleurs, steel Tange BB and headset, Suntour XC-II pedals. The rear derailleur is history, snapped off casting where it mounts to the frame. The bike was rough housed at some point. Perhaps that straight guage tubing helped it survive a bit better. The wheels don't appear original (steel hubs). I wouldn't have bought it but for $20 the parts would be at least useful for another bike if need be. Everything is off the frame now, which required some effort due to seizing. I had a looksee at the seatpost under a magnifying glass but couldn't spot a diameter stamp.
Old 05-20-18, 10:34 AM
T-Mar

Yes, the wheels are definitely replacement, as even in 1984 the hubs were Deore XT. I'd appreciate the serial number for my database. If you don't want to post it, send it via PM. TIA.
Old 05-22-18, 10:32 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Originally Posted by T-Mar
Yes, the wheels are definitely replacement, as even in 1984 the hubs were Deore XT. I'd appreciate the serial number for my database. If you don't want to post it, send it via PM. TIA.
Hi, sure. I'll have a look and get back to you. Too bad about the wheels. The rims are Araya alloy but the Co-op gets the set as I've no use for them.
Old 05-25-18, 12:08 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Ok, here are some pictures of the 9.5 pound frame, in all its' quadracep burning glory.
Old 05-25-18, 01:29 PM
specialmonkey
Fillet-Brazed Member

Bikes:

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
That's a nice looking bike! Looks like the chain stays are long ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Maruishi-Mo...t/132589800365

Old 05-25-18, 01:33 PM
specialmonkey
Fillet-Brazed Member

Bikes:

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I like the kangaroo on the head badge
Old 05-25-18, 05:26 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

The Kangaroo must mean it's an Australian Stumpjumper of sorts. I know, I know.

It's funny, I've got two old frames that are very similar; the Maruishi and a similarly aged LeeWorld

I haven't done anything yet with the LeeWorld but just today dragged it out to compare the two frames. Identical geometry, near identical wheelbase proportions, fork rake and overall length. A few subtle differences and that's all. The LeeWorld received another application of Release-All (it has a stuck seatpost that is deeply inserted). I have to tap the seatpost, run a bolt down and go medieval on it with a slidehammer. Not fun. Tough to choose which of these frames to re-paint and bring back to life.
Old 11-15-18, 12:13 AM
2HIP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just thought I'd chime in...I recently acquired a Maruishi Mount Ace 18 in pristine condition. I was searching for a ('name-brand') 80's vintage (21" - I'm tall) mtb and found this bike on CL. Seller claimed it's a 1986 model. I'd never heard of Maruishi mtbs, which perpetuated my 'inter-web' search, which resulted in finding this forum and thread. It was (and still is) in such good, original condition, I just had to buy it. It's a metallic dark blue frame and fork with a bull-moose handlebar painted to match. The seat tube sticker just says "MTB", and the unicrown fork sticker says "Tange ATB". All the naming graphics on the frame are painted (not decals/stickers) in silver. As far as I can tell, all the components are original, except for the saddle, tires, and possibly the pedals and handlebar grips. It's all Shimano equipped (deer head derailleurs, friction thumb shifters, cantilever front brake, brake levers, Biopace crankset) except for the Suntour rear U-brake and Suzue high-flange hubs. It has alloy rims, but no identifying stickers. I'd like to learn more about Maruishi mtb's, but have not found anything of any substance. I'm only guessing, but after comparing this Maruishi Mount Ace 18 to same period Fisher Montares and Specialized Stumpjumpers, I'm wondering if they were all made in Japan by the same manufacturer??

Last edited by 2HIP; 11-15-18 at 07:13 AM. Reason: additional clarifying info
Old 11-15-18, 07:20 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by specialmonkey
I like the kangaroo on the head badge

Originally Posted by prariepedaler
The Kangaroo must mean it's an Australian Stumpjumper of sorts. I know, I know.

I just saw these posts because of the bump and thought you might be interested in the story behind the kangaroo mascot. Maruishi started importing British bicycles in 1884, when bicycles were the penny farthing style (aka hi-wheeler or ordinary) with a very large front wheel and very small rear wheel. The Japanese had seen a British gentleman riding one, dressed in a swallow tail coat, and thought he looked like a kangaroo running in the fields. The description spread and "kangaroo" became Japanese slang for "bicycle" in late 19th century, resulting in Maruishi adopting it as their logo.

Last edited by T-Mar; 11-15-18 at 07:25 AM.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 11-15-18, 08:39 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 932 Posts
That’s an awesome and interesting story!!!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 11-15-18, 08:57 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by 2HIP
Just thought I'd chime in...I recently acquired a Maruishi Mount Ace 18 in pristine condition. I was searching for a ('name-brand') 80's vintage (21" - I'm tall) mtb and found this bike on CL. Seller claimed it's a 1986 model. I'd never heard of Maruishi mtbs, which perpetuated my 'inter-web' search, which resulted in finding this forum and thread. It was (and still is) in such good, original condition, I just had to buy it. It's a metallic dark blue frame and fork with a bull-moose handlebar painted to match. The seat tube sticker just says "MTB", and the unicrown fork sticker says "Tange ATB". All the naming graphics on the frame are painted (not decals/stickers) in silver. As far as I can tell, all the components are original, except for the saddle, tires, and possibly the pedals and handlebar grips. It's all Shimano equipped (deer head derailleurs, friction thumb shifters, cantilever front brake, brake levers, Biopace crankset) except for the Suntour rear U-brake and Suzue high-flange hubs. It has alloy rims, but no identifying stickers. I'd like to learn more about Maruishi mtb's, but have not found anything of any substance. I'm only guessing, but after comparing this Maruishi Mount Ace 18 to same period Fisher Montares and Specialized Stumpjumpers, I'm wondering if they were all made in Japan by the same manufacturer??

Welcome to the forums. I'm not quite sure what to make of your bicycle. It doesn't fit any literature that I have for 1984-1986, which were the only years for the 1st generation Deore XT rear derailleur (aka deer's head). Shimano didn't introduce their U-brake until 1987, though SunTour had their XC Roller-Cam, which fit U-brake bosses, as early as 1985. Still, the 1985 and 1986 literature specs Shimano cantilevers and Ishiwata tubing. Maruishi was atypical in that they continued to spec large flange hubs on their ATBs into at least 1986, so the wheels may be OEM.

Regarding the lineage, the few serial numbers I've been able to collect for mid-1980s Maruishi ATBs have all had a Maruishi serial number format. I have yet to come across any Specialized or Fisher ATBs with a Maruishi serial number format. One brand that was contract manufactured by Maruishi during this period was Nashbar. FWIW, the 1986 Nashbar Terra XT, which was their Deore XT model, used Ishiwata tubing with Deore XT cantilever brakes (front and back) and large flange hubs.

It would be appreciate if you could post your serial number and some pictures of your bicycle.TIA.
Old 02-06-19, 06:18 PM
NitroExpress

Bikes: 1974 Mirella ~ Campy Record Group, 1985 Maruishi Mountain Ace 18, 1999 Waterford 2200, 2023 Poseidon X Ambition (with lots of upgrades)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts
I know these are very old post, but I wanted to chime in as well. I actually have two of these bikes, an 18" & 21". Mine are from 1985, they are Ishiwata butted tubes with Tange forks. Both bikes are in perfect condition. The 18" frame probably has no more than 200 miles on it. The 21" has no more than 400 miles on it. The bikes are 100% original. If I get any replies, I'll post some pics.
Old 02-06-19, 08:11 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,251 Posts
I tried hard to buy one of these a few yeaars back. It had a Takagi XT crank, Same blue/green. I thought it had a small steerer on the bullmoose bars but couldn't measure before it was gone.
Old 02-08-19, 09:47 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Ok Nitro, blast away with some photos! I still have my MT-18 frame (as pictured). If anything, I'd stylistically section off the rusty portion of the bottom bracket area and administer a repaint with a colour of similar hue to the original.
Old 02-08-19, 09:49 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Originally Posted by clubman
I tried hard to buy one of these a few yeaars back. It had a Takagi XT crank, Same blue/green. I thought it had a small steerer on the bullmoose bars but couldn't measure before it was gone.
Yep, that is the crank this one has - 180mm.
Old 02-08-19, 09:53 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Originally Posted by specialmonkey
That's a nice looking bike! Looks like the chain stays are long ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Maruishi-Mo...t/132589800365
Hard to believe someone wanted it enough to pay $500 for! One could do worse but I really don't see anything special about this frame. It certainly isn't super light by any stretch.
Old 02-11-19, 12:03 PM
NitroExpress

Bikes: 1974 Mirella ~ Campy Record Group, 1985 Maruishi Mountain Ace 18, 1999 Waterford 2200, 2023 Poseidon X Ambition (with lots of upgrades)

Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
Ok Nitro, blast away with some photos! I still have my MT-18 frame (as pictured). If anything, I'd stylistically section off the rusty portion of the bottom bracket area and administer a repaint with a colour of similar hue to the original.
I'm not allowed to post URL's until I have 10 posts. I'll work on it...
Old 02-12-19, 09:35 PM
NitroExpress

Pics of my Mountain Ace 18

So here are some pics. Working on the rear wheel. Will post more when done...

Old 03-05-19, 08:54 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Newer Version of the Mountace

Hello Nitro, your bike is looking in fine shape. It appears to be a newer version than the one I've got. Hopefully this means yours is lighter. Mine never came with the original wheels - are yours original? I like the 3 water bottle mount options on these frames.
Old 03-31-19, 09:23 AM
dirtworks

Bikes: Over 40 bikes..

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Maruishi MT18 build from frame up

Was hoping to show some pictures of my build, but I guess I need to post 10 times before I'm allowed to attach an image..
Old 04-01-19, 06:11 AM
NitroExpress

Mine is a 1985. Yes, other than the tires & tubes, both of my MT18's are 100% stock. Other than some scratches both of my bikes are in very good condition. Yes they came with Suntour XC 26" Araya RM-25 hubs/wheels. I'm in the process of updating my 1974 Mirella 10 Spd road bike (Columbus frame, Campy Record group). I have two sets of wheels for it; sew-ups & clinchers (I'll be using the clinchers). Once I'm done with the Mirella I will focus my attention on the other two. Not sure which direction I will go with them, but more than likely they will become townies / commuters.
Old 04-19-19, 01:03 PM
JackTheRipr

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maruishi MT15

Decided to rescue it after a few years of abandonment outside my apartment building. I am not new to biking but new to the history and mantenance of bikes.

The one I claimed is in pretty good shape. I believe it is a 1984 with all original parts. Some rust and chips on frame, components need cleaning. The cassette for sure needs a rust bath. The saddle is missing. Will replace with new chain and tires but have rims. Not sure about hubs yet but they spin nicely.

This is my first real restoration project. I am excited to fix it up and ride it. I will post some pics and get the serial number asap.
Old 04-19-19, 09:26 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Originally Posted by JackTheRipr
Decided to rescue it after a few years of abandonment outside my apartment building. I am not new to biking but new to the history and mantenance of bikes.

The one I claimed is in pretty good shape. I believe it is a 1984 with all original parts. Some rust and chips on frame, components need cleaning. The cassette for sure needs a rust bath. The saddle is missing. Will replace with new chain and tires but have rims. Not sure about hubs yet but they spin nicely.

This is my first real restoration project. I am excited to fix it up and ride it. I will post some pics and get the serial number asap.
Hello Jack, good on you for taking it under your wing. I haven't seen yours yet but I'd toss the cassette and install a new one. A decent modern replacement is so cheap you might as well. Good thing the saddle is gone; this means you can put one on there for your particular physiology. Hopefully the bottom bracket/stem/seatpost all are freely movable. The seat may have acted like a bit of an umbrella to prevent the elements from drizzling down the seat tube. These frames are of adequate quality to take the time to build something onto. Keep this thread posted!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.