Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

2019 Randonnees

Old 09-23-19, 06:59 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3329 Post(s)
Liked 3,556 Times in 1,227 Posts
Originally Posted by GadgetGirlIL
@abshipp - those photos are Frank’s! I never took any either due to the wet conditions.
Ah gotcha! He was taking a lot of them that day!
Old 09-23-19, 07:29 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by alois
It's still summer today according to the calender, so that may explain the warmth :-)
So it was! I always assume the seasons change on the 21st for some reason. The humidity was more of a problem than the heat... but that didn't seem to slow the fast folks down too much, fastest riders finished in 7:46 and everyone trickled in between that time and me riding with the last folks in 11:32. A couple new riders didn't submit cards so we had a few technical DNFs but everyone that started managed to pedal to the end.
Old 09-23-19, 11:54 AM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Two weeks ago I DNF'd a 300; after 93km, I had no energy and my legs were cramping up. We had done only 800m out of almost 3000m of climbing, and the thought of another 2200m of climbing and 210km of pedalling on dead, cramping legs depressed me, so I turned around and went back to the start via a shortcut, totalling 165km for the day.

This past Saturday, I completed a 200, the last ride of the season for our club. There were only two of us riding, and we agreed to stick together. My riding buddy has always been a stronger, faster rider than me, but he's been having some physical health issues this year, so we took it pretty slow, finishing in 10:55, my slowest time by far. It was a good experiment for me. I am normally very destination oriented, trying to keep my breaks short, keep my speed up, and finish in a decent time. I'm not fast; 9 hours is about the best I can do for 200k. But I found the slow pace and long breaks to be a little frustrating. It was no more enjoyable to take it slow than to just keep moving.

To be honest, I think I have come to realize that I maybe don't really like randonneuring after all. I like the idea of it, and there's that sense of accomplishment after finishing a long ride, but I tend to give up too easily when the going gets tough, and even on the easier routes, I spend a lot of time wondering what the h3ll I'm doing, riding circles in the middle of nowhere, usually by myself. Maybe with good scenery and good company, it would feel better. This last 200 in particular had 2 X 20km of nice riding on rolling hills through a national park with beautiful fall foliage bordering the roadway, and 172km of bald prairie. On average, pretty dull scenery-wise. I dunno. Maybe randonnesia will kick in before next spring.

Anyway, this dude is part of a herd of bison that is part of an effort to repopulate bison herds all over the world. I stopped to say hello.

Old 10-10-19, 01:09 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
When I feel negative about randonneuring, it's because I need to eat A lot of times during a ride I will see someone mowing their yard and wish I was home mowing my yard. I think that happens mostly on shorter rides. I have always done fine on 300k or longer.

I took a break from it a couple of years ago, it was good for me. I did a lot of mountain biking. I got really discouraged because I couldn't seem to finish a 600k, the weather was always too hot and I would suffer badly from cramping. Then that fall, I did a 600k, and it was fine again.

I rode 100k 2 weekends ago to finally earn a RUSA cup. Driving there and back in one day was brutal, I really didn't enjoy that part. Started in Washington DC, so that was novel.
Old 10-13-19, 11:43 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I rode the Eastern PA populaire yesterday. Got the hardest part of earning a RUSA cup out of the way early
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 10-20-19, 09:50 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Rode a 200k yesterday, the last BRM of the 2019 season for my country. It's pretty much the rainy season right now with heavy rains and thunderstorms practically everyday, so I was prepared for wet weather riding and even added a mudguard to my road bike (a Topeak Defender RC1), but surprisingly it didn't rain. It did rain the night before, so we had some very nice cool morning mist... which kept clouding up my glasses with moisture, lol.

Since this was a relatively short and unimportant ride (well, "unimportant" as in, it wouldn't contribute to any mileage awards to the season, I'm already Super Randonneur and also already nabbed the SR3500 award that my club hands out -- this 200 would not be enough to bag me SR4500), I took the opportunity to experiment with all-liquid nutrition. I had one water bottle with my usual sports drink, and another with Ensure Gold milk. Also carried a container in my bag for a second serving halfway. Didn't work out that well, still felt hungry and ended up with wind in my stomach post-ride (the milk is supposedly lactose-free and gluten-free, so I doubt my minor bit of lactose intolerance had any part in this). Didn't seem to help maintain my energy during the ride either -- packs of Haribo gummy sweets typically work better for me in this regard, but they're bad for my teeth on multi-day rides.

Another interesting thing is we had a short 4+ km of unpaved road riding along the route. Made it feel a little bit like a cyclocross segment. We were joking that next time we'll have to dismount and cross rivers and camp outdoors, lol.

One last interesting fact... that starting point for the ride is also a very popular mid-ride stop for food, but this is the first time I drove there. I have to say, the experience driving there was a lot more stressful than when we just usually ride there on our bikes, especially when navigating the winding, curvy roads, climbing and descending to the town in question. It's amazing how a short 2-hour drive can be more stressful and mentally draining compared to being on a bike all day.

Anyways... here's my video of the ride:
Spoiler

Likes For atwl77:
Old 01-05-20, 06:50 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

So the new SR medals are out and they got the year printed wrong. I hear the ACP is going to send stickers with the correct year to cover over the incorrect one
Old 01-05-20, 09:37 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

ha, I didn't notice that. I'm going to use a sharpie.
Old 08-23-20, 01:18 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
Weird, mine says 2019 on it.
Old 08-23-20, 09:39 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Yours probably came from a batch after they realized the error and fixed it.

Think I'll keep mine as is; I guess those of us with the 2018 medals are now owners of a rare "limited edition" run