Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Giant Conduct Braking System?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-19, 12:36 PM
cloud5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Im looking at buying a new bike, a Giant in order to support my LBS. Im look at the TCR Advanced disc 1 KOM but im a little leery of their hybrid brakes, especially the unsightly conversion faceplate that mounts to the front of the stem. Has anyone tried Giants conduct hybrid system? Is it a waste of money? Is the conversion system as ugly as it seems in pictures?

Conduct brakes: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/global/showcase/conduct
Old 01-31-19, 01:54 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
That's a new one to me, but kind of interesting.
Old 01-31-19, 03:12 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
Master cylinder area has a big impact on brake feel. I can see this would allow that aspect to be optimized without the limits of what can fit into the brifter assembly. But then again, it might just be there way to provide lower cost levers. If you're looking at Giant, I'd go ride a bike with them and see how they compare to other systems. If you like how they work, the looks may not matter so much.

There may also be an advantage to maintenance but I don't have any experience there. Just thinking that bleeding/changing fluid would be easier with the MC right there.
Old 01-31-19, 08:57 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
This is really kind of neat because you can retro fit a mechanical bike with hydro brakes with this design. The cable from the lever activates the hydo to activate the brake? Seems way over complex for a factory bike but for a retro fit it would seem easier?? Unless I am not getting the system here I guess. As @Ogsarg stated it would be super easy to work on this system with one reservoir as opposed to one on each side for each brake. I think its super ugly too lol.

I would be leary myself I guess....seems like an engineered solution to a problem that didn't exist yet, but a different approach so I think that is neat....but ugly!
Old 02-01-19, 05:08 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Yes it is pretty ugly looking in person. I too assume it's just for lower cost levers, because why else complicate things?
Old 02-01-19, 05:56 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I personally wouldn't opt for it, but Giant put a fair amount of effort into developing it for cross compatibility between mechanical shifters and hydraulic brakes.

OP...if ordering a new bike, why not simply get one with hydraulic shifters to match your hydraulic brakes?

Giant is a good selection in bikes btw...they are excellent. TCR is a great race bike. If you aren't quite that fit or can ride that aggressive, the Defy is very good....a strong riding buddy of mine just transitioned from TCR to Defy...and he still rides in a pretty aggressive position but not as slammed.
Old 02-01-19, 06:42 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18374 Post(s)
Liked 4,509 Times in 3,351 Posts
It looks to me like they should integrate a cell phone or bike computer mount into that stem.

Why not go internal to the stem, behind the bars?

I could see an effort to do retro support for cable brakes, but on a new bike, I'm not sure why they don't just use one of a plethora of new integrated hydraulic brake levers, and eliminate the cables.

For quite some time,there has been a TRP HY/RD brake system that was cable actuated hydraulic, but put the hydraulic system at the brake calipers. Using hydraulic to simply improve pad float/adjustment.

Of course, short-run straight cables could be a benefit in some situations.
Old 02-01-19, 06:48 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Is an out-front garmin mount compatible with this setup?
Old 02-01-19, 07:12 AM
nomadmax 

Aren't there cable operated hydraulic brakes already out there with the fluid in the calipers?
Old 02-01-19, 08:13 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18374 Post(s)
Liked 4,509 Times in 3,351 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
Aren't there cable operated hydraulic brakes already out there with the fluid in the calipers?
Yes, the TRP HY/RD.

But, in this case, the short cable run should be of some benefit, although I'm not sure about the added complexity of the system, as one has cables, cable housings, reservoirs, hoses, etc.

With the TRP HY/RD, everything is integrated. No hoses and fewer potential failure points.

Also, no expensive proprietary stems. What happens when one wishes to upgrade the stem, or simply "flip" the stem to change handlebar position?
Old 02-01-19, 08:38 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
I cannot comment as to their effectiveness. I have no personal experience using them and for that matter I've never actually seen them in person.

But... not only do I think the design is unnecessary, I personally think they detract from the overall beauty of the bike. For that alone, I would not buy one.
Old 02-01-19, 09:33 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by cloud5
Is the conversion system as ugly as it seems in pictures?t
I saw a number of Giant bikes equipped with those hybrid conversion brake systems when I stopped at an LBS out in the middle-of-nowhere Pennsylvania just before the UnPAved ride last year.

In short: Yes, they are as ugly as you surmise.
Old 02-01-19, 09:53 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Yes, the TRP HY/RD.

But, in this case, the short cable run should be of some benefit, although I'm not sure about the added complexity of the system, as one has cables, cable housings, reservoirs, hoses, etc.

With the TRP HY/RD, everything is integrated. No hoses and fewer potential failure points.

Also, no expensive proprietary stems. What happens when one wishes to upgrade the stem, or simply "flip" the stem to change handlebar position?
You are right about failure points, but hydraulic tubing design is pretty established science. Most cars have 5+ threaded connections between the master cylinder and each caliper so I think it'll be fine if they don't cut too many corners. Hydraulic hoses to have one benefit over cables though - routing and bends don't matter. So you could tuck the hoses very tight and not add friction like cables would.

The adapter here is only the faceplate, so as long as they made the bolt pattern symmetrical the stem could be flipped and reattached with the faceplate still upright.

That said, I still like the look of caliper brakes much better on my road bike...
Old 02-01-19, 10:08 AM
nomadmax 

Originally Posted by CliffordK
It looks to me like they should integrate a cell phone or bike computer mount into that stem.

Why not go internal to the stem, behind the bars?

I could see an effort to do retro support for cable brakes, but on a new bike, I'm not sure why they don't just use one of a plethora of new integrated hydraulic brake levers, and eliminate the cables.

For quite some time,there has been a TRP HY/RD brake system that was cable actuated hydraulic, but put the hydraulic system at the brake calipers. Using hydraulic to simply improve pad float/adjustment.

Of course, short-run straight cables could be a benefit in some situations.
Old 02-01-19, 10:21 AM
cloud5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Campag4life
I personally wouldn't opt for it, but Giant put a fair amount of effort into developing it for cross compatibility between mechanical shifters and hydraulic brakes.

OP...if ordering a new bike, why not simply get one with hydraulic shifters to match your hydraulic brakes?

Giant is a good selection in bikes btw...they are excellent. TCR is a great race bike. If you aren't quite that fit or can ride that aggressive, the Defy is very good....a strong riding buddy of mine just transitioned from TCR to Defy...and he still rides in a pretty aggressive position but not as slammed.
Im going to talk to my LBS to see if they are willing to swap out the conduct brakes for hydraulic levers. I don't want to go much above the $2500 price tag on the TCR Disc 1. Im also going to check out the Defy I've heard great things about it. I just do not understand why giant spent all the research and design money on such a terribly looking design especially that Shimano now makes 105 hydraulic shifters. The Conduct brakes just seems like a bad idea.
Old 02-01-19, 10:23 AM
cloud5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sy Reene

I dont know, this is one of my other questions with this setup, the mount would have to stick out pretty far to clear the brake adapte faceplate on the front of the stem.
Old 02-01-19, 10:27 AM
cloud5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In short: Yes, they are as ugly as you surmise.[/QUOTE]

Thats what I was afraid of.

The frame on the TCR advanced one disc does not look any different than the advanced two. So I think what I might try to do is get the TCR advanced two with ultegra components or see if the LBS can swap out the conduct brakes for full hydraulic shifters. I tried in my mind to justify the conduct brakes, but the cabling and the adapter look clunky and ugly and in my opinion becomes an eyesore on an otherwise really nice machine.
Old 02-01-19, 10:38 AM
jguit

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant told me that you couldn't just swap it out for new 105 brifters, you would have to change all the calipers too. They are really ugly and they don't feel as good as straight hydro. I ended up buying a 2017 in 2018 just to avoid them, and I didn't bite on a discounted boxing day tcr cuz I just can get past the looks.
Old 02-01-19, 10:47 AM
cloud5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jguit
Giant told me that you couldn't just swap it out for new 105 brifters, you would have to change all the calipers too. They are really ugly and they don't feel as good as straight hydro. I ended up buying a 2017 in 2018 just to avoid them, and I didn't bite on a discounted boxing day tcr cuz I just can get past the looks.

This is really unfortunate, I think this would be a deal breaker for me. I would love to buy loca,l but if this is the case I think a Canyon ultimate disc is my next go to, full hydro disc with 105 for $2300 to me seems better than the $2500 TCR with Ultegra components with the Conduct brakes that look like something I built in my garage out of spare parts.
Old 02-01-19, 12:03 PM
Beach Bob

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 0, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
My understanding from my LBS is that Giant didn't like the Shimano 105 hydro brifters which is why they developed this setup, and they were standard on 105 equipped bikes last year. I didn't realize that they were now selling it as a separate thing for upgrading to hydraulic brakes. By and large, the opinion around here was that it looked fugly, but actually provided decent performance.
Old 02-01-19, 03:37 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
i saw a number of them at cross races last year and had a few friends running them. Seemed to perform just fine. I'd probably rather have that system that than HY/RDs which i quite liked when I was running them. Could never get the front and rear feeling the same with the extra cable run even with compressionless housing
Old 02-01-19, 06:02 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
My question as well.

-Tim-
Old 02-01-19, 06:55 PM
goatalope
Biking Viking.

Bikes: '01 Lemond Buenos Aires, '11 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 70s Austro Daimler Inter 10, 80s Motobecane Mirage 10 Fixed Gear

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
My question as well.

-Tim-
The TCRs (and other Giant bikes with Conduct) come with a proprietary attachment that can accommodate a Garmin mount.
Old 02-01-19, 06:59 PM
goatalope
Biking Viking.

Bikes: '01 Lemond Buenos Aires, '11 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 70s Austro Daimler Inter 10, 80s Motobecane Mirage 10 Fixed Gear

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The Conduct system is pretty ugly. That said, I've ridden one and the feel was good. Felt almost as good as full hydro. Better than Spyres.

I assume they specced it because full hydro systems are much more expensive that standard levers. Giant can keep the complete bike price down. Now that hydro 105 (R7000) is readily available, I bet they'll fade it out. Can you wait a year to purchase?
Old 02-02-19, 05:33 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Master cylinder area has a big impact on brake feel. I can see this would allow that aspect to be optimized without the limits of what can fit into the brifter assembly. But then again, it might just be there way to provide lower cost levers. If you're looking at Giant, I'd go ride a bike with them and see how they compare to other systems. If you like how they work, the looks may not matter so much.

There may also be an advantage to maintenance but I don't have any experience there. Just thinking that bleeding/changing fluid would be easier with the MC right there.
In bold...insightful post. Reason is both I believe. Kind of a motorcycle practice...except no common master cylinder and motorcycles have no brake cables....master cylinder on motorcycles located separately at right front lever...push rod and in back at foot pedal.

This post made me think of relocating my foot controls on a '09 Triumph Bonneville I owned and relocating the rear master cylinder...a bike I modded (café racer) pretty extensively a few years ago.

I would never own Giant's set up on a roadbike but then again, I wouldn't choose disc brakes...or only as a last resort if riding only if environment demanded it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.