Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Handlebar Tape

Old 07-05-19, 06:14 PM
Irenicus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Handlebar Tape

So I just bought a new bike and kind of messed up on the handlebar tape. I got it into the shop for a tune and a lady convinced me to try this black stuff with stars on it. I thought it would look super cool but it actually looks really girly and I'm going to get it changed.

My bike is a full matte black, 2001 cannondale R600.

Are there really any major differences in cheap tape vs expensive tape? This stuff was kind of an expensive mistake but I'm contemplating getting cheaper stuff to replace it. I'm thinking either black or blue but leaning towards just a full black set up. Any opinions on tape style/functionality? I'm also wondering if it's really worth it to get a shop to do it or if it's plausible to just buy some online and throw it on myself.

Cheers <3
Old 07-05-19, 06:24 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Major difference is price. Do it yourself, if you can write this post, you can tape. If you pay to get it done and it gets messed up, you get angry, DIY and you learn from the results.
Do you have a kickstand?
gm
Likes For gringomojado:
Old 07-05-19, 06:32 PM
Irenicus

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gringomojado
Major difference is price. Do it yourself, if you can write this post, you can tape. If you pay to get it done and it gets messed up, you get angry, DIY and you learn from the results.
Do you have a kickstand?
gm
No kickstand, nope. I think most shops charge like $15 to put the tape on. Guess I could just buy it and look up tutorials.
Likes For Irenicus:
Old 07-05-19, 06:51 PM
Beach Bob

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 0, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Irenicus
So I just bought a new bike and kind of messed up on the handlebar tape. I got it into the shop for a tune and a lady convinced me to try this black stuff with stars on it. I thought it would look super cool but it actually looks really girly and I'm going to get it changed.

My bike is a full matte black, 2001 cannondale R600.

Are there really any major differences in cheap tape vs expensive tape? This stuff was kind of an expensive mistake but I'm contemplating getting cheaper stuff to replace it. I'm thinking either black or blue but leaning towards just a full black set up. Any opinions on tape style/functionality? I'm also wondering if it's really worth it to get a shop to do it or if it's plausible to just buy some online and throw it on myself.

Cheers <3
Black with stars sounds like it could be SupaKaz (https://supacaz.com/category/bar-tape/) tape. If it is, learn to love it and enjoy it. There is a very definite difference in cheap vs. good tape and if it's SupaKaz, its as good as it gets. I've wrapped my last couple of bikes with it (yes..stars included; its not "girly") and I think its the best stuff out there; sticky, cushy and easy to keep clean.

Edited to add: Check the full range of options for Supakaz... you can get solid colours if you want.
Old 07-05-19, 06:54 PM
wedgeSG

Bikes: '13 Trek Madone 5.2 '14 Giant Thrive - (wife's)

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
If you are referring to Supacaz, I doubt most cyclists would call it “girly”.... only thing I can think of with stars (6points) on it. Might be a little attention getting in some colors, but a quality product few would look down on. You may have something else, if so please disregard my post.
Old 07-05-19, 07:46 PM
gringomojado

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Better "cheap tape than cheap tires (tyres). Hard to judge tape quality in an objective manner.
gm
Old 07-06-19, 01:29 AM
Irenicus

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Beach Bob
Black with stars sounds like it could be SupaKaz (https://supacaz.com/category/bar-tape/) tape. If it is, learn to love it and enjoy it. There is a very definite difference in cheap vs. good tape and if it's SupaKaz, its as good as it gets. I've wrapped my last couple of bikes with it (yes..stars included; its not "girly") and I think its the best stuff out there; sticky, cushy and easy to keep clean.

Edited to add: Check the full range of options for Supakaz... you can get solid colours if you want.
Yes this is the stuff. I love the feel but I am not sure if the look will grow on me. I really wish I got the full black cause it cost $60 for the wrap. It does seem girly but maybe I should give it some time...
Old 07-06-19, 02:48 AM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Beach Bob

Now I want that oil slick tape.
Old 07-06-19, 04:42 AM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by wedgeSG
If you are referring to Supacaz, I doubt most cyclists would call it “girly”....
Sorry to say it, but it DOES look girly! It is indeed quality stuff though!
Old 07-06-19, 05:03 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 258 Posts
"Girly"??? No way, that tape is the business! Thanks for sharing it, I had no idea I could get "prizmatik" bar tape. WOW that stuff is HOT. That's the coolest bar tape I've ever seen... time for a rethink, as I was gonna go back with white for my yellow & blue Colnago... but now, that "Prizmatik Hologram" is awesome, or blue, or platinum, or oil slick... and I've got a Bianchi that the Prizmatik Pink would definitely suit (and it would match my fluro-pink helmet).
Old 07-06-19, 05:07 AM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
(and it would match my fluro-pink helmet).
Try the Prizmatik pink, with streamers. Probably a better match.
Likes For ChinookTx:
Old 07-06-19, 11:32 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Double wrap for comfort add another layer of tape, plain black, this time..
Old 07-06-19, 01:00 PM
Irenicus

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Double wrap for comfort add another layer of tape, plain black, this time..
Double wrap??

I'm getting plain black put on but I've never heard of a double wrap. The guy said I can probably salvage the Supacaz stuff to re-use on another bike so I'll probably try to sell that. I would imagine a double wrap would give you super thick handle bars haha.
Old 07-06-19, 01:09 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I did this on my bike with trekking bars and have done it for customers like the Race TransAmerica contestants.

Old on the bottom new on the top..

There are Under-tape Gel pouch/patches you can add too... Fizik is one,,
Old 07-06-19, 01:34 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by jade408
Now I want that oil slick tape.
That Oil Slick would look awesome on your new bike. I wonder if the slick shiny look would last.

-Kedosto
Old 07-06-19, 09:14 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
That Oil Slick would look awesome on your new bike. I wonder if the slick shiny look would last.

-Kedosto
Ugh. I know. But I already got leather tape. Maybe for next year’s revision.
Old 07-07-19, 01:40 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
There is a definite difference between cheap and expensive tape.
Check the is a definite difference between cheap and medium priced tape.

I spend under $25 for my tape, but various $20 rolls are seriously better than $3to9 rolls.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-07-19, 02:17 PM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
I’m partial to ESI’s silicone RST tape. No adhesive, as the silicone binds to itself, and I also double wrap the top bar with old tape as the base layer. Not cheap in cost or quality, but worth it to me. I think Park Tool’s video of how to wrap is the best and easy to follow along.
Old 07-07-19, 06:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Girly? What exactly qualifies something that has no gender as gendered? Also why does a gender binary matter in any case? Gender is a silly construct to make people different for no real reason. People are people and they should be who they want to be and not be forced into silly binaries for no reason.

As far as tape is concerned, I have heard great things about Supercaz, the tape you were using. My favorite tape is going to be the Lizard Skins 3.2 DSP. I like the cushioning it provides and the fantastic grip. I also use Fizik tape (though they have changed their line up so I don't remember which version I typically use) as it also has a good cushioning and comes out a bit cheaper but I don't like the feel quite as much as I do with LS. I don't like cheap tape as it wears out quickly or just doesn't feel good or look all that great. However some cheaper tape is better than others but if you already have Supercaz I would give that a try. Again remembering that bartape does not have a gender and also that gender really doesn't matter.
Old 07-07-19, 07:05 PM
wedgeSG

Just going to add an endorsement for a tape I doubt is getting the exposure it deserves...DOMAIN cycling. (www.DomainCycling.com). It’s a lot like Eclypse in texture and durability. Some color choices, but the length is what’s really neat. Flat top bars with gel pads? No problem. Lots of overlap for cushion and/or aesthetics? Here’s your tape ! Also available on EBay. I Love this stuff.
Old 07-07-19, 07:06 PM
wedgeSG

Old 07-07-19, 07:24 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
so what if it looks "girly" ? why does it matter ? and how would it feel if it didn't really matter ? wouldn't that be worth trying ? cycling is a nice place to stop worrying about things that don't matter
Likes For holytrousers:
Old 07-07-19, 07:33 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by wedgeSG
Just going to add an endorsement for a tape I doubt is getting the exposure it deserves...DOMAIN cycling. (www.DomainCycling.com). It’s a lot like Eclypse in texture and durability. Some color choices, but the length is what’s really neat. Flat top bars with gel pads? No problem. Lots of overlap for cushion and/or aesthetics? Here’s your tape ! Also available on EBay. I Love this stuff.
I went to that site just out of curiosity and the first thing I saw was "AS SEEN ON T.V." and then I saw those awful seat pads that move around and give you no support. It seems like they have plenty of exposure in fact too much because it doesn't look like their product is particularly that great probably just rebranded crap from Alibaba or somewhere in China. I have never had issue with running out of tape, I usually have some extra. Then again maybe on these new Crust Towel Racks I might need more tape but not enough to want to buy this stuff.
Old 07-07-19, 08:14 PM
wedgeSG

I totally agree with you. The majority of the stuff does look like, (probably is), some major, useless junky-pathetic, horrible crap. The tape packaging itself is not great. The tape, however, is great stuff. I’ve got it on my Madone, Merlin, and my best Bianchi.
Old 07-07-19, 08:18 PM
wedgeSG

Likes For wedgeSG:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.