Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Colder weather - glasses fog up issue.

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 10-08-19, 09:10 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts

How do you guys deal with this?
Its ok when moving, but when stopped things get foggy real fast. I can wear contacts to solve this issue, but then I like to have protection from the wind, dirt, dust etc.
Old 10-08-19, 09:16 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Least expensive solution:
1. Put a drop of dish soap on each lense.
2. Smear it around real good with your fingers.
3. Wipe clear. (use a dry rag)

Depending on how long your commute is, you might have to do this before every ride, or every few days.

There are other antifog solutions that last longer, made specifically for glasses, that cost more:

https://www.amazon.com/Eyeglass-Clea.../dp/B0143RD3OK

https://www.ebay.com/i/112963700666?...iABEgJiFvD_BwE

The one I use on my motorcycles (for both my glasses and my visor) that works well for both fog, and helps rain bead off the outside:

https://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/product...-1&fabricid=-1
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 10-08-19, 09:17 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Put a glasses "leash" (like Croakies sp?). on your glasses. Set the thing,that allows you to tighten them up just loose enough so you can pull your glasses down a little to vent them. When you stop pull them down a little and put them back up when you get moving.
Old 10-08-19, 09:28 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Put a glasses "leash" (like Croakies sp?). on your glasses. Set the thing,that allows you to tighten them up just loose enough so you can pull your glasses down a little to vent them. When you stop pull them down a little and put them back up when you get moving.
I used wire rim glasses (not goggle-like sport glasses) in my winter riding days. I'd pull them a little down my nose at lights. Also practiced breathing away from my glasses, directing my breath down (usually - wind could be a factor). With the glasses pulled down, I could see (sorta) when the light turned green even if they did fog.

These are old memories. I haven't winter commuted in snow country for 40 years but when I did, it was Ann Arbor and Boston and I didn't own or drive a car.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 10-08-19, 09:39 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyravr
Its ok when moving, but when stopped things get foggy real fast. I can wear contacts to solve this issue, but then I like to have protection from the wind, dirt, dust etc.
I've never found anything that is 100% effective. I've never even found something that is 10% effective. Look at the construction of the glasses. You don't want them too close to your face. I use Rudy Project Kerosenes and they clear pretty quickly after I start moving again. I have the nose pieces moved so that the air flows over them better and they have vents at the top of the lenses to get air to flow in behind the lens. I also pull them away from my nose when I come to a stop to avoid as much fogging as I can. You might also try blowing your breath out of your mouth and down away from your face.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 10-08-19, 09:52 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I used wire rim glasses (not goggle-like sport glasses) in my winter riding days. I'd pull them a little down my nose at lights. Also practiced breathing away from my glasses, directing my breath down (usually - wind could be a factor). With the glasses pulled down, I could see (sorta) when the light turned green even if they did fog.

These are old memories. I haven't winter commuted in snow country for 40 years but when I did, it was Ann Arbor and Boston and I didn't own or drive a car.

Ben
I forgot about breathing away from the glasses, good point. Also if I am wearing something over my face, I find if I breath normally when it's over my nose I get fogging. I use a fleece neck gaiter because I can pull it down below my mouth when I am stopped. Then aim you breathing down and away from your face. With the fleece over my mouth If I breath down and away I can sometimes prevent fogging that way.
Old 10-09-19, 07:39 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
Least expensive solution:
1. Put a drop of dish soap on each lense.
2. Smear it around real good with your fingers.
3. Wipe clear. (use a dry rag)

Depending on how long your commute is, you might have to do this before every ride, or every few days.

There are other antifog solutions that last longer, made specifically for glasses, that cost more:

https://www.amazon.com/Eyeglass-Clea.../dp/B0143RD3OK

https://www.ebay.com/i/112963700666?...iABEgJiFvD_BwE

The one I use on my motorcycles (for both my glasses and my visor) that works well for both fog, and helps rain bead off the outside:

https://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/product...-1&fabricid=-1
I use this right now. Its not that they fog up when I am moving. But breathing at the stop lights, especially with scarf over mouth, will cause foggy picture. Again, once moving it all goes away.
Seems like I will have to pull the mask down when stopped and put up once moving is the only good solution.
Old 10-09-19, 07:50 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Since the fog goes away almost instantly when I start moving again, I don't find this an issue. I don't wear anything over my mouth though, perhaps the fogging up is way worse that way.
Old 10-09-19, 06:29 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Swimmers spit in their goggles to keep them from fogging up. I wonder if this would work on bicycle goggles that are not underwater.
Old 10-10-19, 05:39 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
When it's cold I'll put on a cheap pair of ski goggles. This pretty much works 100% of the time. As far as glasses goes, I haven't found a solution that is effective yet. Besides, goggles give the ski area around your eyes protection as well. Even with a balaclava covering my nose it's not a problem.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 10-10-19, 10:41 AM
RonE

Bikes: 2010 Giant Rapid - Trek 820 - 1968 Schwinn Continental

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
It does not have to be cold for glasses to fog up when stopped. I live in Florida and it happens here too. If my glasses are not fogging up, then they are subject to dripping perspiration, which does not clear up without wiping the glasses dry. At least fogging clears up as soon as I start moving again. I wear a sweat band to capture the perspiration just above the brow and I bring a sweat rag to wipe my forehead when I stop, which works okay. Unfortunately, I have not found a great solution for either issue.
Old 10-10-19, 09:43 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I don't even bother this time of year. I just go commando and hope for the best.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 10-11-19, 09:22 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 127 Posts
I go a little slower so I'm not breathing hard. It's actually not an issue on my non-snow season route, I only have to stop 3-4 times. In snow/ice season, I'm usually going slow enough, and/or pull my balaclava down.
Old 10-12-19, 03:43 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyravr

Originally Posted by cyccommute
I've never found anything that is 100% effective. I've never even found something that is 10% effective.
I perenially post my approach to the problem, most recently on the Winter Cycling Forum.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I perennially post about my winter eyewear for my 14 mile year-round commute, from about 35° down to as low as 0°.

I must wear my prescription eyeglasses, and fogging is one of the worst dangers of winter riding. I am entirely satisfied with my system:
Follow the link for further information, and
IME, and from reading numerous posts on the subject, there are three basic methods for preventing fogging, caused by exhaled moist air onto the cold surface of the eyeglasses and goggles:
Considering how frequently this question arises I have also frequently posted:
(from a now-closed thread)…In the past I have offered IMO several useful suggestions about cycling, particularly for winter and urban cycling, to multiple repetitive threads.

They are usually lost in the morass of often scores of replies, both in agreement and dispute with mine.
including a dispute with the dishsoap / spit solution.

I favor:
Originally Posted by mcours2006
When it's cold I'll put on a cheap pair of ski goggles. This pretty much works 100% of the time. As far as glasses goes, I haven't found a solution that is effective yet.

Besides, goggles give the ski area around your eyes protection as well. Even with a balaclava covering my nose it's not a problem.
And I look forward to trying this newly-posted solution:
Originally Posted by scoatw
I use an old Iditarod trick I saw back in 09 of Jay Petervary,a veteran rider of the 1000 mi trip to Nome. In addition to wearing a balaclava, I cover my nose and cheeks with a fleece headband. This gives my breath an opening to escape without going up my goggles when covered with the balaclava.

This is my 11th winter of daily commuting. I always had fogging problems below 10'f. I used it at 0'f and it worked great.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-12-19 at 03:50 AM.
Old 10-30-19, 01:48 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
I’ve used “Scott Lens Cleaner & Anti-Fog” for years with good results with my motorcycle riding. You want to put three to four coatings on.

https://www.cyclegear.com/accessorie...eaner-anti-fog
Old 11-25-19, 08:53 PM
jfan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I've never found anything that is 100% effective. I've never even found something that is 10% effective. .
This has been my experience. Those sprays aren't worth the effort. I just slide the glasses down my nose at stops.
Old 01-04-20, 06:09 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
As a long time(39+ year) cross country skiier, I can tell you that your glasses will always fog up when you stop moving, so just don't stop. There is no magic solution for this, just keep moving, air will circulate and your lenses will stay clear. If you stop, remove your glasses. Replace them when you start moving again
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 01-05-20, 03:58 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
As a long time(39+ year) cross country skiier, I can tell you that your glasses will always fog up when you stop moving, so just don't stop. There is no magic solution for this, just keep moving, air will circulate and your lenses will stay clear. If you stop, remove your glasses. Replace them when you start moving again
i agree keep the glasses off your head if you stop. Sometimes it is awkward but when you start moving again they clear pretty quick. I find single lenses stay clearer than lenses with prescription inserts.
Old 01-16-20, 09:06 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
If there's a military surplus store near you or you find on online, then you might be able to buy some anti-dimming compound used on the lenses of gars mask to prevent fogging.

Cheers