Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Newb riding in rain...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-11, 04:49 AM
Cujo2811

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newb riding in rain...

Ok so I live in central Florida, it'll rain every day about 4-6. This is my time during the week to ride. So basicly if I go out at this time it's is a gamble. Yesterday I was at the 12 mile mark and was shooting for 20, the clouds looks so dark I said to hell with it and headed to the house. It never rained and I feel like I wasted what was feeling like a great ride. I've never been caught in the rain on a road bike. The tire obviously army made for water. Any advice on riding in the rain? FYI I'm basicly riding a 4 mile loop around a golf course and doing laps trying to reduce lap times right now so I'm never more than 2 miles away from my house.
Old 06-15-11, 05:03 AM
jethro56 
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As long as the it isn't too heavy or windly I ride in the rain. Never had traction problems. Fenders are very nice and a really good rear blinky. Cycling clothes are much more comfortable as are polyester socks. I really should get better pedals as my feet slip sometimes.Cleaning and reoiling the chain is critical afterwards.
Old 06-15-11, 05:05 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
The painted White Lines at intersections and Fog lines become slick as Ice when wet....Stay off of them

Old 06-15-11, 07:58 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
The painted White Lines at intersections and Fog lines become slick as Ice when wet....Stay off of them
Ditto railroad tracks, manhole covers, and metal grates or plates.

Old 06-15-11, 08:32 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Allow extra distance for braking. And like Neil and 10 Wheels said, avoid pavement paint and metal surfaces like the plague, or at least go over them straight and slow - no turning while they're under your tires. Railroad tracks in general also need to be crossed at 90 degrees, regardless of weather.

Last edited by CraigB; 06-15-11 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-15-11, 08:38 AM
JohnA42

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Never more than 2 miles from home? I say go for it. When it starts to rain head for home and make sure to follow all the good advice given above.
Old 06-15-11, 09:23 AM
jmeissner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnA42
Never more than 2 miles from home? I say go for it. When it starts to rain head for home and make sure to follow all the good advice given above.
+1
Old 06-15-11, 10:16 AM
Cujo2811

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnA42
Still havnt gotten my pack for the bike with the extra tubes/co2/tools etc. Planning on getting that this weekend. The 4 mile loop by my house actually is nice and curvy, good riding, lots of bikers on it. Trust me I wanna go out n about more now seeing I really had no trouble biking 20 miles, want to up that # and explore!!
Old 06-15-11, 10:18 AM
Cujo2811

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All that info is great, thank you. Never would have thought about the white lines! Down here mainly when it rains....it downpours for like 30/45 mins, then gets all sunny again. Guess if that happens find coer and wait it out.
Old 06-15-11, 10:28 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Remember that the first hour or two of a rain the roads are EXTRA slick because of all the oils and fluids coming to the surface.
Old 06-15-11, 11:21 AM
jr59

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Accept that you are going to get wet.

Remember that everything painted on the road gets slick, more so when it first starts.

Think about driving a car in the rain, you don't see as well, KEEP THIS IN MIND! The cars won't see you on the bike as well.

Other than that, go for it.

I enjoy riding in the summer rains, it's zen like. It cools me off.

Just be EXTRA careful, and make sure to wipe down your bike and drive train.

ALSO; Beware of the lighting that comes with those fl afternoon showers.
rain= ok... lighting= NO GOOD!
Old 06-15-11, 03:09 PM
Cujo2811

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very true JR, I was outside all day working off a 35' lift, way to hot. Right at the end of the day it started raining & I just stood in it for a while (seeing was already drenched), felt so damn good!
Old 06-15-11, 04:12 PM
Zanobi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I grew up in South Florida and now live in Central Florida as well so I know the roads and the weather patterns well. I try to ride the paved trails as much as possible, but have a route like you mention nearby that I will ride if I don't feel like heading over to Cross Seminole.

A few things:

1. As mentioned, the lines that are painted are slick, but they also use a decal type here in FL that I've found even slicker... be very careful with them.

2. Just staying away from the decals isn't enough sometimes. If it's been awhile since there's been some rain (not a problem lately) a light rain can cause a slick as it displaces oils/vehicle fluids that may be on the road. Also remember that all our roads are graded to the outside so debris may wash to where you're riding causing potential puncture hazards.

3. Scan ahead for drainage/puddle issues. We're pretty near the water table here. On my route there's more then one spot that if it's one of those quick but heavy downpours it doesn't drain fast enough initially.

4. Drivers are idiots in the rain. If it's one of our routine afternoon t-storms, you have to be careful of the drivers since visibility for both you and them goes to crap. Just think of all the dolts on I-95/Turnpike going 35 in the left lane with their hazards on (somehow they think it will protect them when they can't see themselves).

Whether driving or riding, my most prized possession for seeing are my polarized sunglasses. It has to really get dark for me not to feel like I see better with them.

I may be exaggerating things a bit, but having driven in FL for about 20 years and riding in central FL for a few, I've seen enough hydroplanes and hit enough deceiving puddles to be extra cautious.
Old 06-15-11, 04:13 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Cujo2811
Ok so I live in central Florida, it'll rain every day about 4-6. This is my time during the week to ride. So basicly if I go out at this time it's is a gamble. Yesterday I was at the 12 mile mark and was shooting for 20, the clouds looks so dark I said to hell with it and headed to the house. It never rained and I feel like I wasted what was feeling like a great ride. I've never been caught in the rain on a road bike. The tire obviously army made for water. Any advice on riding in the rain? FYI I'm basicly riding a 4 mile loop around a golf course and doing laps trying to reduce lap times right now so I'm never more than 2 miles away from my house.
Harden the **** up.

No offense. "HTFU" is a cycling term. It means "deal with it and get stronger."

Get a set of good road tires, which will provide better traction. "Wipe" your rims by gently braking before you do the real thing, and give yourself extra room to stop. Avoid metal and paint on the roadway like the plague. Run a head and tail light when it's rainy. Go more slowly than you would if the roadway was dry.

Get a pair of wool socks, and a merino wool base layer. Forget water-proof jackets, because you'll stew in your own sweat. Anyway, it's not like hypothermia is a big concern right now. Even in the dead of winter, you can ride a bike in the rain when it's 33 F, and as long as you don't wear cotton or stop for very long, you'll be fine.

Then stop doing laps, and find a nice, scenic route to enjoy.
Old 06-15-11, 04:17 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I really can't think of a bike tire that is made for water that isn't marketing fluff. Best bet is to accept you are going to get wet and ride slower.

Use 10 Wheels and The Historians suggestions, and mine would be to make turns slower than normal, and avoid puddles since you don't know what lies beneath the surface.

Another suggestion would be to watch what you have on your head or in your hair. Sweat, hair care products, sunblock, & residual laundry detergent (if you are wearing a cap or something) all sting when they run into your eyes during a downpour.
Old 06-15-11, 07:47 PM
JohnA42

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In addition to painted and metal surfaces, watch out for things like leaves or other debris that can stay wet even after the roads are dry. I broke an ankle like that at very low speed.
Old 06-16-11, 12:07 AM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, don't worry about getting wet as you will, no matter what you do or wear. Just enjoy it for what it is. As your in Florida, I don't think you'll have to worry about staying warm, but I always carry some rain gear to wear if I flat that'll help keep me comfortably while fixing it.
Old 06-16-11, 12:16 AM
zachsilvey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is no such thing as a rain tire for a bike especially a road bike. There simply isn't enough of a contact patch for water channels in the tires to do anything and you can't hydroplane with high pressure tires. There is a table here https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html that says to hydroplane with a tire at 100 PSI you would have to exceed 104 MPH.
Old 06-16-11, 12:49 AM
scfishr

Bikes: trek 1000 upgraded

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All good stuff, newbies getting some great info, things I would have never thought of, nothing like experience, unless you count learning from others mistakes, I count it and regard it highly. Thanks
Old 06-16-11, 09:43 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by exile
I really can't think of a bike tire that is made for water that isn't marketing fluff.
Originally Posted by zachsilvey
There is no such thing as a rain tire for a bike especially a road bike. There simply isn't enough of a contact patch for water channels in the tires to do anything and you can't hydroplane with high pressure tires. There is a table here https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html that says to hydroplane with a tire at 100 PSI you would have to exceed 104 MPH.
Sure. Even among slicks with no tread, though, some tires grip the road much, much better than others. Some have better traction in general, and some track well in the rain.
Old 06-18-11, 08:17 PM
Cujo2811

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To the guy that said to harden the f up, chill the f out. I just wanted info cause I havnt had to ride in the rain. I love working out in the rain, esp down here, cools you off. And bro, if you read the OP, I live in central florida...I am not getting wool socks.

Actually got my EMG pack all filled up today and headed out, and got caught up in a great thunderstorm. Very greatfull for all info, Definatly helped out.

I havnt yet been to the Seminole trail but it's not to far from my house. One of these days I want to get out there but time is hard to come by in this household.

Once again thanx for the help!
Old 06-18-11, 10:23 PM
sci_femme

Bikes: cyclotank

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Central FLA here.

For rain tire try Conti 4-seasons. This is my commuting tire. Stupendous wet grip.

Careful with vegetation debris, cars grind it into pulpy slime.

Road garbage, like glass shards, sticks to the tires better in the wet, proper inflation is crucial.

There are some high-grade merino wool products that nearly impossible to tell they are wool without looking at the tag.

I ride in the rain, lightning is non-negotiable, tho.

Good luck.

SF
Old 06-19-11, 06:14 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
sci_femme is right about debris. It will stick to a wet tire much more readily than it will to a dry one, giving every little thing more time to work its way through the tire to get to your tube.

A skill that's worth cultivating is cleaning your tires as you ride. I do it every time I've had to ride through a patch of glass. Gloves are mandatory for this, as is extreme caution, especially when doing the rear, as it can be surprisingly easy to get a hand caught between the tire and the seat tube.
Old 06-19-11, 06:33 PM
JohnA42

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got rained on the other day, 10 miles from home. 10 uphill miles from home. What are you gonna do? I took it easy and was thankful I had wool socks on.
Old 06-20-11, 07:22 PM
RonE

Bikes: 2010 Giant Rapid - Trek 820 - 1968 Schwinn Continental

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I too live in Central Florida and have to contend with the summer afternoon storms. The biggest problem with these storms is that more often than not they are very fast developing, fast moving and can quickly cause significant street flooding. Often, they are accompanied by heavy lightning and high winds, which can make bicycling through the storm a very unsafe activity.

I only trust weather forecasts for generalities. I try to watch the radar before departing and do my best to adjust my bike commute schedule to minimize my exposure to such storms. Also, I try to identify possible shelters along the route so that I know where I can wait out a storm if necessary.

Always carry lights, and most important, be extra diligent during rains and on wet roads.