Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Seatpost binder bolt/lug problem

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-12, 01:15 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts

This has got to be a common problem, but I've never encountered it before. Apparently the previous owner of the Univega I built up this winter torqued mightily on the wrong side of the seatpost binder bolt in trying to loosen it, and sheared off the slot in the seat lug that engages the tab in the binder bolt. Years of subsequent overtightening allowed the head of the bolt to burrow several mm into the "ear" on the lug. (Both ears themselves are intact--just sort of reamed.)
The obvious way to deal with this would be to slip a washer over the bolt on that side (maybe have to slot it to engage the tab on the bolt half), and use two allen wrenches to loosen and tighten the bolt from here on. I imagine that will work and it's probably what I'll do. But just wondering if someone else out there has a more elegant solution.
JV

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash

Last edited by jonwvara; 04-14-12 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Vain striving for perfection