Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

gloves

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-13, 07:49 PM
newridenewme

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gloves

What type of gloves do you find helpful for commuting and comfort
Old 03-21-13, 08:14 PM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Wool, layered if necessary

Bar mitts if it is cold enough to warrant them.
Old 03-21-13, 08:48 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
I've got fleece lined water resistant gloves for winter use, standard full fingered MTB gloves for spring/autumn use, and standard fingerless cycling gloves for summer use.
Old 03-21-13, 09:23 PM
GregTR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have way too many gloves.

I have Pearl Izumi Elite Gel Vent for the really hot days
I have Pearl Izumi Select Gel FF for anything above 60F to 80F
I have Pearl Izumi Select Softshell for 45F to 60F
I add a Pearl Izumi Thermal Lite under the Select Softshell sometimes if it gets below 45F
I use a Pearl Izumi Pro Softshell WXB 3x1 with the included liner for anything less than 40F

For running it's a lot easier. A thin cotton or wool glove if weather gets below 50F and if it dips below 35 I start wearing the PI Select Softshell.

I probably have more money in gloves than others have in their bike...
Old 03-22-13, 12:06 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The commute is not far , too old to give a rat's about 'performance' they just keep my hands warm..

I have 2 pair in my pockets, temperature in day and night differ.. significantly..

Have you considered fitting Pogies on your handlebars ,
so your gloves dont have to do all the hand warming..

Any 5 finger glove will be compromised as the insulation between the fingers has to be thin.
2 fingers per , lobster claw, and all together mittens will be warmer..

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-24-13 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-22-13, 07:39 AM
cogdriven 

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Karate Monkey, Ogre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a single speed, so no need to shift. When it gets below freezing I wear silk glove liners under wool mittens under leather mittens. I can pull my thumbs out of the thumb holes and tuck them into my fist unless I'm climbing or speeding down a hill. I tried Bar Mitts, but they weren't any warmer and had the big disadvantage of allowing me only one hand position. My LBS was kind enough to take them back.
Old 03-22-13, 07:45 AM
DocsDad

Bikes: 2020 Trek Roscoe 8, 2016 Trek 520 Disc, 2013 Trek 7.2 FX, 2010 Trek 4300 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Warm weather... Yes. I ride with gloves for comfort and absorbing sweat on very hot days.
Old 03-22-13, 08:03 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Rather than go into the details of brand and model, what I want to mention is more generic information.

During the summer and spring/fall, full- or half-finger cycling gloves are generally fine but once you start looking for more warmth, you move toward bulkier gloves and mitts. With light weight cycling gloves, you can easily uncurl your fingers from the handlebars and reach up and over your brake levers. I found that the bulkier the gloves/mitts, the more extended the fingers and the more difficult it is to get your fingers out and over the brake levers without swinging your hands/fingers around the end of the brake lever and then back over the lever, a little extra work and much slower so your braking time is affected. I tended to move my fingers onto my brake levers long before I anticipated needing them (you can't anticipate a surprise so those don't count).

With gloves or lobster-style mitts, you could leave a couple of fingers on the levers but when the temperature dipped, this winter, to -39C (-38F), gloves weren't enough, mitts were necessary.

This might not affect your glove choice but, in terms of how your biking motions might be affected, it is something to be aware of.
Old 03-22-13, 08:13 AM
kookaburra1701

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When it's really cold, you don't need gloves, you need to make yourself a pair of these!

Old 03-22-13, 08:27 AM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
this winter ive been using north face tnf apex gloves when its cold, fine until about 10 degrees with wind

otherwise i just use a pair of mechanix gloves for grip and to keep my hands clean
Old 03-22-13, 08:40 AM
furballi

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm more concerned about safety and durability. Quality all leather gloves will be comfortable after a few hundred miles. I buy a 3-pack from Costco for about $19. The leather is very soft when new, but it takes a little longer for them to disappear on your hands.
Old 03-22-13, 08:50 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by kookaburra1701
When it's really cold, you don't need gloves, you need to make yourself a pair of these!
Really?...IDK... those are real beauties, don't get me wrong, kudos to your mad knitting skillz, but... unless those things are made from some seriously high tech miracle fiber they can't be all that warm! I got through the last three winters by moving to a place that doesn't often go below 30* in the winter. Even wet and soggy, Thinsulate gloves will allow me to operate my brakes and shifters. Haven't found the glove yet that will do anything about my left hand pins and needles.

H
Old 03-22-13, 08:56 AM
hubcap
One Man Fast Brick

Bikes: Specialized Langster, Bianchi San Jose, early 90s GT Karakoram, Yuba Mundo, Mercier Nano (mini velo), Nashbar Steel Commuter, KHS Tandemania Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
significantly < 0F - synthetic insulated mittens that have a wp/b outer (think mountain expedition stuff)
0F to ~25F - insulated ski-type gloves (these are supposed to be wp/b too)
~25F to ~40F - lightly insulated gloves
~40F to ~55F - full finger non-insulated gloves
>~55F - fingerless cycling gloves
Old 03-23-13, 06:11 PM
rubic
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use fingerless gloves year round. When it is cold, I use thin glove liners.
Disclaimer: I live in Southern California.
Old 03-23-13, 06:30 PM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In the summer, half finger gel cycling gloves
In the spring and fall, mechanix gloves
In the winter, ski gloves and when its really cold, leather snowmobile mittens.
Old 03-23-13, 08:28 PM
RGNY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
over 45F: none
45F to 30F: waterproof, lightly insulated (Seirus Xtreme)
30F to -5F(seasons' low): PI PRO lobster mitts
Old 03-23-13, 09:46 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3138 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 1,031 Posts
+1 on the Mechanix gloves, which chase the chill pretty good down into the 50°Fs.

From there down to about mid 30°F, I like neoprene backed/synthetic palm gloves. I use very old Specialized Storm Controls; if it's really rainy and wet, I'd prefer full neoprene, but I don't have any, and either make do (it's a short ride), or break out the big dogs...

...which are Gill Extremes. Full Primaloft insulated neoprene, which take me from around freezing to as cold as it gets arond here, which in recent years seems no worse than the single digits Farenheit.

I don't bother with gloves for the summer commute, though I do keep one nitrile glove in the kit in case I gotta touch the chain (any time of year).
Old 03-23-13, 09:49 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Down to 60f, barehanded
50-60, mechanix gloves
35-50, xc ski gloves
35 and lower, downhill gloves
Old 03-23-13, 09:57 PM
newridenewme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what r the benifits of gloves?
Old 03-23-13, 10:15 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by newridenewme
what r the benifits of gloves?
They provide a barrier for your hands if you ever fall or crash. Padded gloves can also dampen vibration to your hands if you ride on rough roads.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 03-23-13, 10:53 PM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by scroca
Wool, layered if necessary

Bar mitts if it is cold enough to warrant them.
+1 to the wool and layering.

I use a system of layered gloves, skipping some if the weather is warmer/less windy/not raining

1) When it is cold out my base layer are thin silk motorcycle glove liners. I just went without these twice in the past week when it warmed up a bit. I've worn these every day since Fall.

2) My next layer is a pair of polyprolene gloves. These are technically "liners" as well, I get them from military surplus stores for a few bucks a pair and they last a long time. Wicking and insulation layer.

3) next is a pair of fingerless cycling gloves for the padding.

4) next is a pair of wool gloves over everything else. These really help with keeping the cold airflow away from my hands. I hate having cold hands and pogies would make me feel claustrophobic. These also make a huge difference in light rain, it takes a while for them to get soaked through, most of the time they just end up with a layer of moisture on the outside of them.

5) finally is a layer I very rarely use. This is an oversize pair of big rubber motorcycle gloves. Think something like Rubbermaid dish gloves or MOPP gear. These are for when it is really raining. Here in Seattle it rains a lot, but most of the time it is a very light rain and the above layers suffice for my nearly one hour commute. But on the rare cold day when it really rains, it sucks to have soaked hands, even with nice wicking layers and good wool on the outside, so I use the rubber overglove to keep all the rain out.

Probably seems like a lot, but the silk liners feel nice and are very thin, the polyprolene gloves are rather thin as well and provide a little cushion while wicking and insulating. I hardly notice the wool ones over the top as they are quite light, kind of fluffy almost.

Last edited by Medic Zero; 03-24-13 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-24-13, 12:24 AM
kookaburra1701

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Really?...IDK... those are real beauties, don't get me wrong, kudos to your mad knitting skillz, but... unless those things are made from some seriously high tech miracle fiber they can't be all that warm! I got through the last three winters by moving to a place that doesn't often go below 30* in the winter. Even wet and soggy, Thinsulate gloves will allow me to operate my brakes and shifters. Haven't found the glove yet that will do anything about my left hand pins and needles.

H
The high-tech miracle fiber comes from one of these:

The stranded knitting creates a double layer of thickness. My neoprene gloves turn my fingers to ice when they get wet. These keep me toasty no matter how drenched I get. They keep my hands warmer than my $$$ waterproof/thinsulate ski gloves.

Last edited by kookaburra1701; 03-24-13 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-24-13, 02:39 AM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I don't like gloves; tried them and they put too much pressure on the squishy parts of my hand, causes numbness. works better to have no gloves and thin bar tape; lets me support my weight with my bones.
Old 03-24-13, 03:49 AM
dbascent1986

Bikes: Thorn Raven Sport Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
defeet merino good down to a couple of degrees below freezing - do not cycle when colder than this
Old 03-24-13, 04:33 AM
tdister
Just a geek

Bikes: LHT, Pacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One area I cheap out on. I use cheap Walmart Bell Mesh fingerless Gloves (they used to be better quality and fit my hands better than anything at the LBS for any reasonable price) and a pair of basic Pearl Izumi fingerless when I'm feeling fancy. Today I wore one of each due to losing one of each in the wash.

The real cheapo part: I just use a pair of disposable rubber gloves underneath them when it's cold. Stumbled upon out of necessity but they work fine for anything I ride in which is very rarely below freezing. Will probably acquire a wool pair before next winter.

I often wonder what larger guys do. My hands really aren't that big but I find myself always wearing an XL glove.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.