Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Mirrors... There, I said it.

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 03-28-13, 06:10 PM
merkong
Cyclist, Runner & TRX'er

Bikes: Steel Bianchi, 29 inch Redline Monocog, a Carbon something someday

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a buddy who is an old roadie and still trains as though he was racing. That's cool and all. He likes the big rides and does them often. Years ago, I purchased a mirror, the one that attaches to the bow of your glasses. He was like, "those ain't cool man..." Needless to say I never wore it. Recently, I came across it and have done a few rides while wearing it. I like it. I ride on the road and can't believe how easy it is to glance back versus the constant headturn. I still am prone to firsthand looks (non-mirror image) when maneuvering right hand turn lanes and a few other crucial and potentially dangerous situations. I like the mirror. Am I not cool anymore? Anyone else (I've seen a few in the profile pictures) wear a mirror or maybe, gasp, have one mounted on their steed? Safety first, convenience second, coolness third.
Old 03-28-13, 06:28 PM
mikhalit

Bikes: Poison Chinin IGH

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two mirrors, one on the handlebars, one close to the helmet visor. Honestly, all of my colleagues think it's freaking cool, though they don't seem to believe i can really see anything in that small mirror.

My commute is mostly through the countryside, at first i started to use mirrors to notice the cars early so i can get from the road back to the cycling path before they get close. The cycling path quality isn't that great and 99% of the time I prefer road riding, but the shoulders are almost nonexistant and its mostly illegal to ride on the road when a cycling path is available, so if something happens I will be the bad guy. Now I enjoy using helmet mirror every time i ride in traffic.

Last edited by mikhalit; 03-28-13 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-28-13, 06:31 PM
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I would ride with no helmet, but never no mirror!
Aside from air in the tires, it is the only other thing I need for
my bikes. A glass one with mounting that can absorb bumps.
Old 03-28-13, 06:32 PM
megalowmatt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I ride my bikes without mirrors I miss them.
Old 03-28-13, 06:48 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I use helmet or eyeglass mounted mirrors every ride unless it is all off road. I often catch myself looking in the mirror when I'm walking somewhere only to realize I'm not wearing one.
Old 03-28-13, 06:51 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I found a handlebar-mounted mirror on the street one day last year and decided to give it a shot, as I had never used one. Now I am looking for a better quality model. As for riding without one ever again, I don't think I will.
Old 03-28-13, 07:02 PM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Take A Look mirror, mounted on my helmet, I also have winkku turn signal mirrors. The TAL is my primary, The Winkku ones are much more valuable as turn signals.
Old 03-28-13, 07:04 PM
Chesha Neko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eyeglass mirror every time. Yes it is geeky and uncool. Welcome to being a bike commuter.
Old 03-28-13, 07:20 PM
TomCat_Ford

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CACycling
I use helmet or eyeglass mounted mirrors every ride unless it is all off road. I often catch myself looking in the mirror when I'm walking somewhere only to realize I'm not wearing one.
I do the same thing (helmet mounted mirror for me). My wife keeps telling me that I'm crazy, but it's nice to know that someone else does it as well!
Old 03-28-13, 07:44 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by merkong
Am I not cool anymore?
Nope, but it may save your bacon someday. Mmm, bacon...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-28-13, 08:05 PM
AdrianFly
Twilight Requiem

Bikes: TrekFX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm old enough that it doesn't matter what I do.. I'm not gonna be "cool" at my age.

I could try and the younger guys will do one or all of the following:

1. Wonder who that old guy is "trying" to be cool.
2. Laugh at the "struggling to be cool" old guy while he races in full kit against his midlife crisis. (I'm really still 25 deep inside!.. I'll show them dumb kids!)
3. Pity the old man with the big bucks riding the young mans ride.

Therefore, I can do what I want which includes being as safe as I want. Besides, I can't friggin turn my head around like I used to.

I've got two Mirrycle MTB mirrors that I use for my own well being. One on my Ebike.. the other on my MTB commuter.

I don't care what people think.. but that's because I'm an old geezer. I've even got my old PX-10 hangin on the wall downstairs in the bikeshop dagnabbit!
Old 03-28-13, 08:05 PM
Vlaam4ever

Bikes: 2008 Giant TCR Advanced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dork,

well somebody had to say it...

I hate mirrors while riding. they distract me. I look at my feet, wheel, the center line, the bird, etc. I hate it ADD strikes again
Old 03-28-13, 10:20 PM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Actually, to a certain point, being uncool is actually really cool! I have a PeeWee Herman style mirror on my handlebars, and you can't get more uncool than that! I've been thinking of getting a helmet or glasses mounted mirror.
Old 03-28-13, 10:21 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
I need a mirror. I find that it always seems that when I look back a car is RIGHT THERE and I tend to swerve over a bit in the direction I'm looking. Not safe for the other people on the road and certainly not me so I find myself pulling way over to compensate. A mirror would really help.
Old 03-28-13, 10:53 PM
GeraldF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few weeks ago I installed a handlebar mirror on my bike. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance, but I found that it took a second or two to look directly into the mirror and fully register what was behind me. By contrast, when driving a car I'm instantaneously able to glance into my rear view and side view mirror and see what lies behind me. There was just something about the bicycle mirror that didn't work for me; I can't really explain it. The other thing I didn't like about the handlebar mirror is that it got in the way when carrying my bike up my stairs, and sometimes even when locking up at bike racks. The mirror doesn't look large, but it actually extends 5 to 6 inches beyond the end of the handlebar (I would have guessed 3 inches). I also found that I looked into the mirror more often than I really need to (I've always wondered if I have ADD *shrugs*). Spending more effort worrying about what was behind me ended up taking some of my focus off of what was ahead. Needless to say, I got rid of the mirror. I've never tried a glasses or helmet mounted mirror, so I can't comment on those. I plan to just stick with the old "head turn."
Old 03-28-13, 11:26 PM
Bluish Green
Bicycle Commuter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Glasses-mounted mirror for me. Take-A-Look rocks.
Old 03-28-13, 11:52 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Wear your mirror . . . and when your buddy/racer friend gets near you, keep an eye on him; when he gets within 6 feet, pick up the pace . . .
repeat as necessary!
Seriously, been wearing a mirror mounted on my glassess since the 70s when I used a dental mirror wired to glass frame.
Been using the Take-A-Look mirror for a couple decades.
Oh, am 80 years old and still ride 6 days a week.
Old 03-28-13, 11:55 PM
kardar2

Bikes: Giant trance II MTB, Centurion Accordo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=merkong;15443043]I have a buddy who is an old roadie and still trains as though he was racing. That's cool and all. He likes the big rides and does them often. Years ago, I purchased a mirror, the one that attaches to the bow of your glasses. He was like, "those ain't cool man..." Needless to say I never wore it. Recently, I came across it and have done a few rides while wearing it. I like it. I ride on the road and can't believe how easy it is to glance back versus the constant headturn. I still am prone to firsthand looks (non-mirror image) when maneuvering right hand turn lanes and a few other crucial and potentially dangerous situations. I like the mirror. Am I not cool anymore? Anyone else (I've seen a few in the profile pictures) wear a mirror or maybe, gasp, have one mounted on their steed? Safety first, convenience second, coolness third.[/
QUOTE]
Yep I got them on the end of my bars and love them. I like the bigger mirror pose to the little helmet ones
Old 03-29-13, 12:03 AM
kardar2

Bikes: Giant trance II MTB, Centurion Accordo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GeraldF
A few weeks ago I installed a handlebar mirror on my bike. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance, but I found that it took a second or two to look directly into the mirror and fully register what was behind me. By contrast, when driving a car I'm instantaneously able to glance into my rear view and side view mirror and see what lies behind me. There was just something about the bicycle mirror that didn't work for me; I can't really explain it. The other thing I didn't like about the handlebar mirror is that it got in the way when carrying my bike up my stairs, and sometimes even when locking up at bike racks. The mirror doesn't look large, but it actually extends 5 to 6 inches beyond the end of the handlebar (I would have guessed 3 inches). I also found that I looked into the mirror more often than I really need to (I've always wondered if I have ADD *shrugs*). Spending more effort worrying about what was behind me ended up taking some of my focus off of what was ahead. Needless to say, I got rid of the mirror. I've never tried a glasses or helmet mounted mirror, so I can't comment on those. I plan to just stick with the old "head turn."
It nice when you are on a narrow street and you have an obstacle ahead of you adjust your timing better. You get use to it. I kept want to look over my shoulder right after I mounted it .
Old 03-29-13, 12:41 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 127 Posts
I found mirrors too scary on a bicycle. Drivers always drive as if they'll run me over, then turn at the last few meters. Too much stress for little gain - took them off. On the motorcycle, they are very useful, but bicycle - nope.
Old 03-29-13, 04:14 AM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
Wear your mirror . . . and when your buddy/racer friend gets near you, keep an eye on him; when he gets within 6 feet, pick up the pace . . .
repeat as necessary!
Seriously, been wearing a mirror mounted on my glassess since the 70s when I used a dental mirror wired to glass frame.
Been using the Take-A-Look mirror for a couple decades.
Oh, am 80 years old and still ride 6 days a week.
Right on, good to hear. Ride on.
I like the mirrycle mtb mirrors. Have them on three rides.
Old 03-29-13, 05:42 AM
downwinded

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crossrip LTD, 2013 Raleigh Misceo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I could care less about cool. Couple of weeks ago I rode a bike for 2 days with no mirror. Felt like I was naked. Like 8 said, I would rather be without my helmet. I used to use a handle bar mounted rectangular mirror from sunlite. It was big and I could see very well. It did stick out beyond the handlebar. PIA when going through doorways. On the new ride I put one of the mirrycle mtb mirrors. Turned it over and mounted it under the handlebar so it does not stick out beyond the bar. Much better for navigating doorways and...it looks cool!!!
Old 03-29-13, 06:25 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
The main reason i wear a helmet is to have an attaching point for a mirror - since the mid '80s. Saved my @$$ plenty times. Dont think i would look very cool with a broken spine.
Old 03-29-13, 06:34 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I just started using mirrors very recently after riding without one for the last 6 years. I have both the eyeglass and handlebar mounted one.... So far I like them a lot on rural roads and other open roads in the suburbs where the traffic is faster and more sparse . But I don't like using them in downtown areas and urban/city areas with very heavy and slow moving traffic.
I find mirrors very useful in certain situations but not an absolute neccessity in all situations. JMHO based on my limited experience with them.
Old 03-29-13, 06:38 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
You're an adult on a bicycle. You've given up on cool, no matter what you tell yourself. Safety first, second and third. Cool is about #3255.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.