Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Wabi Cycles Sizing

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Wabi Cycles Sizing

Old 06-26-13, 07:16 AM
redpointSend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wabi Cycles Sizing

Hey all -

So I ordered a Wabi Lightning which is amazing but seems to be quite too big.

I am 5'9" with long arms and legs. Richard suggested the 55cm. I currently have a 120/130mm stem which I'm switching for a 90mm.

Will that make much of a difference?

Has anyone my height used a 52cm or 55cm Wabi and could you tell me how your bike fits?
Old 06-26-13, 11:16 AM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I haven't used a Wabi, but looking at it online, it's pretty standard geometry. Given your height and long limbs, 55 sounds right to me, too. A friend had a 54cm road bike years ago, fitted to him when he bought it in '97, and he's 5'9" with 'normal' limb length.

The 90mm stem WILL make a difference; you'll be more upright, you may even feel cramped. On the other hand, it may fit you well. Only you will know that.

Just remember this: if you're going to spend ANY significant time on this bike, you need to be HAPPY with the fit; if it's wrong, it won't get better as time goes by. It's not something that can easily be reduced to measurements; it's a "feel" thing, and it just has to feel "right". When all of your contact points (bar, saddle, pedals) seems to "disappear", and just feel like an extension of yourself, you're there.
Old 06-26-13, 11:55 AM
redpointSend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
I haven't used a Wabi, but looking at it online, it's pretty standard geometry. Given your height and long limbs, 55 sounds right to me, too. A friend had a 54cm road bike years ago, fitted to him when he bought it in '97, and he's 5'9" with 'normal' limb length.

The 90mm stem WILL make a difference; you'll be more upright, you may even feel cramped. On the other hand, it may fit you well. Only you will know that.

Just remember this: if you're going to spend ANY significant time on this bike, you need to be HAPPY with the fit; if it's wrong, it won't get better as time goes by. It's not something that can easily be reduced to measurements; it's a "feel" thing, and it just has to feel "right". When all of your contact points (bar, saddle, pedals) seems to "disappear", and just feel like an extension of yourself, you're there.
Ok, well that's good to hear, was feeling a bit neurotic. The change in head stem would have to be quite large it seems like because I also have to move the seat back in order to get my legs in the right position.

Wabi has great customer service, so if worse comes to worse I guess I could speak with him about sending back the 55 for a 52, although like I mentioned, I've never heard of anyone my size riding a 52cm frame. However perhaps there is something unique about his geometry: https://www.wabicycles.com/component_sizing_info.html.
Old 06-26-13, 04:55 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Getting saddle in the right position has little to do with reach or stem length; it IS all about being in the right place over the CRANK. Finding comfort from you to the bar comes after that.

I cannot IMAGINE why a 52 is even THOUGHT of. The chart you linked is 'old school' thinking, not something I'd even consider.

Naw, his geometry isn't unique; in fact, it's pretty close to what LeMond road bikes were using a decade ago (before Greg's troubles with Trek brought the brand to an untimely end).
Old 06-27-13, 12:29 PM
redpointSend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
Getting saddle in the right position has little to do with reach or stem length; it IS all about being in the right place over the CRANK. Finding comfort from you to the bar comes after that.

I cannot IMAGINE why a 52 is even THOUGHT of. The chart you linked is 'old school' thinking, not something I'd even consider.

Naw, his geometry isn't unique; in fact, it's pretty close to what LeMond road bikes were using a decade ago (before Greg's troubles with Trek brought the brand to an untimely end).
Thanks for all the feedback DX Man, here's a quote from another thread regarding these bikes, I wanted to get your thoughts on it: "They measure the seat tube c-c, so similar to the Kilo TT, you need to add 3cm for a c-t sizing. The 49cm is more like a 52cm, and so on.

https://www.wabicycles.com/lightning_frame_detail.html"

Does that mean the 55 is more like a 58cm size?
Old 06-27-13, 02:57 PM
bowzette

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I also have a Wabi Lightning. Focus on the top tube length and seat tube angle.
Old 06-27-13, 03:03 PM
redpointSend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bowzette
I also have a Wabi Lightning. Focus on the top tube length and seat tube angle.
How tall are you and what size did you get? (including head stem length etc). Does 55 seem right for me at 5'9"? (with long arms and legs)
Old 06-27-13, 03:52 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Inseam length is more useful than height when it comes to frame size. Has the OP fitted a bike before or is this the first time? If the OP has a bike that is set up right, then trying to get in the same riding position on the new bike is the way to go.

I doubt that the seller steered you wrong on frame size if you gave him your dimensions. They sell a lot of bikes and know something about fitting. Long legs at 5 ft 9 suggests that the 55 is probably the right size. This is useful: https://www.coloradocyclist.com/bikefit.
Old 06-27-13, 04:00 PM
bowzette

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My size will not help much-42 scandium frame no longer availabe in the Lightning but is available in the Classic. I could ride either the 42 or the 49. But look at the top tube length and seat tube angles. The 52 has a top tube length of 54 cm a seat tube angle of 74 degrees. The 55 has a top tube length of 55 cm and a set tube angle of 73 degrees. The "reach" for both bikes is the same. You may get a better fit on the 73 degree seat tube for road riding. I'm guessing your leg length will fit either seat tube length. Then the issue is whether you have too much or too little drop from the saddle to the bars. But you have head tube spacers and flipping the stem if needed to work with. I would start with the frame size and stem length Richard recommends. He will send you different size stems to work with as well as different degree of rise. Work out with Richard the cost if any of returning a bike for exchange. BTW in my opinion Wabi's are an outstanding value and Richard's custom service is excellent.