Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Lincoln CA to Pacific Grove CA in 5 Days - Ride Report with pics

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-10, 05:50 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I've been terribly tardy in posting this, in fact, haven't been around BF50+ too much lately. But here it is an I hope you enjoy it.

It was a perfect mid-September morning when 2 tandems and 5 singles gathered at the usual starting point to start a 5-day adventure that would take us 260 miles to Pacific Grove (near Monterey) CA.

The route was put together as a group effort, pooling ride experince, Google maps and local knowledge. We each carried at least two days' worth of clothing on racks with paniers or in small backpacks. This was the first time I had done that. We were fortunate to have some spouses meet us along the way with fresh clothes.

Following a very flat 56 miles to Davis CA (bicycle capital of the world) the first day ended after a lunch break in Old Sacramento. The weather was outstanding. The Day 2 start was delayed by a bit of rain we watched come in on some Smartphones. We never saw rain again. Here's what we saw at 6:00am in Davis.

Out through Winters (with a stop at Steady Eddy's), traveling on back-country roads that were smooth and virtually traffic-free. This is Putah Creek.

We skirted Fairfield and ended in Cordelia after a short 44 miles. That's me below, in red with the knee brace, near the back.

Day 3 took us to Vallejo via Lake Herman Rd to catch the ferry for San Francisco. We encountered some hills and a bit of headwind, but it didn't ruin our day. In the picture below, you might be able to see the U.S. Navy Reserve Fleet in the bay.

We pre-boarded our bikes on the ferry and settled in for the one hour trip to SF. Here's the skyline. I admit this photo is doctored.

We picked our way through the crowds around the wharf and had lunch in view of the Golden Gate Bridge.

The Bridge was crowded with what appeared to be Swedish fashion models on bikes, so we didn't ride across it. We made our way through The City, out to the coast at the zoo and eventually to Rockaway Beach after a 46 day, plus 28 miles on the ferry. Here's Rockaway:

Day 4 took us further down famous Highway 1, including Devil's slide. The climb was a piece of cake. The descent a bit hairy -- traffic, construction, wind and loaded bikes. But 64 miles later, we are in Santa Cruz.

Day 5 follows the "Coast Bike Route" through fields of whatever is in season. Another easy day, the highlight of which was the bike trail from Marina to Monterey.

As if 260 miles weren't enough, 4 of us rode the famous 17-mile drive the next day. Absolutley perfect. Here we are in front of the Lone Cypress. That's me in the ugly jersey.

We stayed in motels each night. Dinner out was preceded by a session of adult beverages. The relatively short ride days made the trip a breeze. We pretty much rode together for most of the time. We are already planning the next ride.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 10-14-10, 06:59 PM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Nice -- did you ride back too?

Last year we took the ferry from Vallejo to SF and rode the tandem to Santa Barbara, staying in B&Bs and hotels on the way down. It was epic, especially the Big Sur coast.

Between SF and Monterey we saw Brussels sprouts, pumpkins, artichokes, and heavenly heavenly strawberry fields. Those were a feast for the olfactory, that's for sure.

We'll probably do it again, too...so scenic and fun.
Old 10-14-10, 08:13 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Mojo,
Looks like a really great ride. How did you get back?

RR,
I'll have to revisit your post on the SB ride. My wife and I need to do this on our tandem before we get old(er). We'd probably get a one-way rental on an SUv to get the tandem home.
Old 10-14-10, 08:31 PM
gracehowler
Rod & Judy

Bikes: Specialized S-works E-5, Davinci joint venture , CoMotion Pangea

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Looks like a great ride.
Not to steal the thread, but how about more info about the knee brace? My stoker has some knee issues

R&J
Old 10-14-10, 08:37 PM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been meaning to make that ride for years. I live near Reno and have relatives in the Monterey area, and every spring I plan to have my wife drop me on the west side of the Sierra, maybe in Auburn, so I can ride to PG. Some damn thing always comes up... Maybe next year.
Old 10-14-10, 08:51 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
You guys look good. When I first looked at the pictures, I thought of the wild bunch. Nice pics.
Old 10-14-10, 10:04 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
The Bridge was crowded with what appeared to be Swedish fashion models on bikes, so we didn't ride across it.
I think this is the point in your trip when your instincts failed you.
Old 10-14-10, 10:27 PM
t4mv
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mojo, nice write up and pics! Time for some friends and I to ride down the coast again, thanks to your travelogue.

BTW, you guys are the 50+ version of Fear the Beard(tm)
Old 10-14-10, 11:11 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Old 10-15-10, 04:37 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
[QUOTE=Red Rider;11624264]Nice -- did you ride back too?

We didn't ride back. Our spouses met us in Pacific Grove for a couple of days. In my case, my wife and I ate with the group the first night (free BBQ at the motel), she went shopping with a local friend the next day and we had dinner with friends the second night. We brought one of the tandem couple home (they are our neighbors).
Old 10-15-10, 04:38 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gracehowler
Looks like a great ride.
Not to steal the thread, but how about more info about the knee brace? My stoker has some knee issues

R&J
My knee issue it not a bike injury. I tweaked it a couple of months ago cleaning a garage, or rolling around on the floor with my 2-year-old grandson ro something. I'm not sure the brace does any thing other than remind me to pedal straight and be careful when I stand up. My knee doesn't bother me when I ride.
Old 10-15-10, 04:39 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
Been meaning to make that ride for years. I live near Reno and have relatives in the Monterey area, and every spring I plan to have my wife drop me on the west side of the Sierra, maybe in Auburn, so I can ride to PG. Some damn thing always comes up... Maybe next year.
If I have done it right, here's a link to the route. I drew the map from memory after the ride, so it might not be perfect, but it will get you close.

https://ridewithgps.com/users/22559
Old 10-15-10, 04:48 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,046 Times in 4,477 Posts
Fun trip, Mojo. I'd love to do another multi-day ride sometime.
Old 10-15-10, 04:50 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Here are a couple more pictures of the ride. The first is on a bike path out of Davis toward Winters. We had just waited out a rain cell and were back on the road.

And here's what we were riding to:

And here we are checking a map, trying to figure out how to get from the base of the Golden Gate Bridge to the Coast route. We found it.

Old 10-17-10, 01:04 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
If I have done it right, here's a link to the route. I drew the map from memory after the ride, so it might not be perfect, but it will get you close.

https://ridewithgps.com/users/22559
That looks like a fun ride. Nice pictures.

Although it adds a few miles, I would use a different route to the coast. I prefer to follow Putah Creek to Lake Berryessa (north on Pleasants Valley instead of south, then west on hwy128). Once 128 drops me into the Napa Valley there are lots of ways to the Sonoma Valley, but I usually take silverado trail to Calistoga, then Petrified forest to Porter Creek (becomes Mark West Springs) to Santa Rosa. Mark West Springs Rd. changes names a few times as you go west, but puts you on Hwy 1 just south of Jenner. If one rides down the Russian River late in the day one is likely to face headwinds, so early is best for that portion.
Old 10-17-10, 07:54 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Good info to know there are bike paths in that area
Old 10-17-10, 08:01 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Didn't (doesn't) once erstwhile poster SKT (SaiKaiTai) live in Pacific Grove?

Anyway, looks like a great and fun ride.
Old 10-17-10, 07:19 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
That looks like a fun ride. Nice pictures.

Although it adds a few miles, I would use a different route to the coast. I prefer to follow Putah Creek to Lake Berryessa (north on Pleasants Valley instead of south, then west on hwy128). Once 128 drops me into the Napa Valley there are lots of ways to the Sonoma Valley, but I usually take silverado trail to Calistoga, then Petrified forest to Porter Creek (becomes Mark West Springs) to Santa Rosa. Mark West Springs Rd. changes names a few times as you go west, but puts you on Hwy 1 just south of Jenner. If one rides down the Russian River late in the day one is likely to face headwinds, so early is best for that portion.
Oooo. Traced this route on "Ride with GPS". Part of what was good (for me) about the route we took was that it was pretty easy. Your route has HILLS! Of course, we also planned our ride with handy motels in mind. But, I think our next multi-day ride might head over the Berryessa-Calistoga-Santa Rosa-Napa way. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-17-10, 08:07 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Looks like a lot of fun. Why no pics of the Swedish supermodels? Also, if the climb at Devil's Slide was a piece of cake, where was the pie?