Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Completed my first century last weekend!

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-14, 01:46 AM
magbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was travelling for work, and decided to spend the weekend in the area to get some riding in. I gambled and rented a 58cm Specialized Roubaix (I ride a 60cm Scattante) hoping it would feel fine.

Up till now the most I've ridden was 88 miles, and that was the weekend I purchased my road bicycle (OC to SD :-) ); I had no idea what possessed me but I remember the pain in my legs, the pain in my knee, and needing to walk up the Torrey Pines hill. Prior to the weekend where I purchased a road bike, I was riding my Mountain Bike around 20-35 miles each weekend. Since that painful first weekend with a roadbike I've slowly built up the distance over the course of 7 months: 40 miles, 45, 50, 55, 60,65,70. The only thing holding me back from longer distances is the time it takes me to do it. Right now I land between 50-65 miles on a weekend.

The work week was harsh: up at 5:30AM and back at 8:00PM on most nights. The fluorescent lights of the clean room can make your eyes bleed. Sleep was not great, but it was passable. Could have left on Friday, but my ticket was for Sunday, which allowed me to ride on Saturday. I didn't even think about riding once that whole week. As I came to the realization of who I was once more on Friday, I quickly ran to the LBS to pick up that bicycle.

I had only planned around 50 miles that weekend; well, by 'planned', I mean it was just an idea that went through my head before I took the departing flight. Once I got back to the hotel with the bike, I took it upstairs, outfitted with what I brought (90% of luggage weight was my cycling gear), and took a shower. It was late night Friday, I had the lights off, myself trucked into bed between the sheets, and I intently focused on my laptop screen while letting the History Channel play on in the background. I was focused looking for trails. My sea-level tuned lungs were concerned about too much elevation change, especially because I was at an absolute 4000ft higher. Most rides around 50 miles had 2-4K change in elevation. Then, without thinking about it, I found a 1000 ft elevation change ride....over 100 miles. Its flat Jimmy, its flat. That same feeling came back to me when I first got my bicycle....COMPLETE THE CENTURY. I paused and gave it the 'careful' consideration: I'd be doing it alone, I'd be doing it on a trail that I've never seen, I'd be doing it on a bicycle that wasn't even remotely fitted for me, I'd have no idea how often I could stop for water or food....I thought about all of this in 0.25 seconds before I grinned outwardly knowing my fate was sealed.

I slept in very late that day, up at 10:30AM only to be out by 11:30AM. It was the most amazing ride ever. I stayed hydrated, I carbed up every 10 miles with food....but I found that thirst got the best of me. I usually go through 2 bottles every 20 miles, but by 50 miles I was going 2 bottles every 10 miles, and I was stopping by the beautiful houses near the trail and asking for refills on water. Everyone was friendly and kind. At 54 miles, with only 10 minute stops every 10 miles to eat dates & cliff bars, I used my phone to take a video about how I felt. I was coughing and hacking and clearly wanting even more water than I had access to. I was okay though, my legs felt great, my butt sufficiently conditioned to a saddle, and my mind focused on the Subway that I would encounter just 2 miles behind me. I'm pretty sure I drank about 4 liters of water there - its amazing how much water I had even though I was consistently drinking the whole way. I then stopped at every single park the trail touched and ensured that I topped off all my bottles, as well as drank atleast 500ml at every stop. It was a ritual: notice the water fountain, quickly pull in, drink what I had, fill up, and leave without saying a word. Taking 2 bottles/7 miles made a huge difference in performance (along with the subway sandwhich) and I went just as hard, if not a little harder, on my return.

I finished at about 8:30PM, and the bicycle shop gave me hell for making them wait, but they quickly changed their tune when they found out I just completed a century on my own. The owner grinned and congratulated me, while I stumbled outside of the store and realized that I was stuck in my cycling shoes, and I REALLLY didn't want to walk. The 18 dollars taxi ride took me 1 mile...it was the best cab ride i've ever had, and it was the best present I could have asked for as my last day as a 28 year old.

:-) :-) :-)
Old 06-29-14, 03:22 AM
Wooden Tiger

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 2 (mountain bike), 2010 Schwinn Paramount Series 7 (road bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by magbike
I was travelling for work, and decided to spend the weekend in the area to get some riding in. I gambled and rented a 58cm Specialized Roubaix (I ride a 60cm Scattante) hoping it would feel fine.

Up till now the most I've ridden was 88 miles, and that was the weekend I purchased my road bicycle (OC to SD :-) ); I had no idea what possessed me but I remember the pain in my legs, the pain in my knee, and needing to walk up the Torrey Pines hill. Prior to the weekend where I purchased a road bike, I was riding my Mountain Bike around 20-35 miles each weekend. Since that painful first weekend with a roadbike I've slowly built up the distance over the course of 7 months: 40 miles, 45, 50, 55, 60,65,70. The only thing holding me back from longer distances is the time it takes me to do it. Right now I land between 50-65 miles on a weekend.

The work week was harsh: up at 5:30AM and back at 8:00PM on most nights. The fluorescent lights of the clean room can make your eyes bleed. Sleep was not great, but it was passable. Could have left on Friday, but my ticket was for Sunday, which allowed me to ride on Saturday. I didn't even think about riding once that whole week. As I came to the realization of who I was once more on Friday, I quickly ran to the LBS to pick up that bicycle.

I had only planned around 50 miles that weekend; well, by 'planned', I mean it was just an idea that went through my head before I took the departing flight. Once I got back to the hotel with the bike, I took it upstairs, outfitted with what I brought (90% of luggage weight was my cycling gear), and took a shower. It was late night Friday, I had the lights off, myself trucked into bed between the sheets, and I intently focused on my laptop screen while letting the History Channel play on in the background. I was focused looking for trails. My sea-level tuned lungs were concerned about too much elevation change, especially because I was at an absolute 4000ft higher. Most rides around 50 miles had 2-4K change in elevation. Then, without thinking about it, I found a 1000 ft elevation change ride....over 100 miles. Its flat Jimmy, its flat. That same feeling came back to me when I first got my bicycle....COMPLETE THE CENTURY. I paused and gave it the 'careful' consideration: I'd be doing it alone, I'd be doing it on a trail that I've never seen, I'd be doing it on a bicycle that wasn't even remotely fitted for me, I'd have no idea how often I could stop for water or food....I thought about all of this in 0.25 seconds before I grinned outwardly knowing my fate was sealed.

I slept in very late that day, up at 10:30AM only to be out by 11:30AM. It was the most amazing ride ever. I stayed hydrated, I carbed up every 10 miles with food....but I found that thirst got the best of me. I usually go through 2 bottles every 20 miles, but by 50 miles I was going 2 bottles every 10 miles, and I was stopping by the beautiful houses near the trail and asking for refills on water. Everyone was friendly and kind. At 54 miles, with only 10 minute stops every 10 miles to eat dates & cliff bars, I used my phone to take a video about how I felt. I was coughing and hacking and clearly wanting even more water than I had access to. I was okay though, my legs felt great, my butt sufficiently conditioned to a saddle, and my mind focused on the Subway that I would encounter just 2 miles behind me. I'm pretty sure I drank about 4 liters of water there - its amazing how much water I had even though I was consistently drinking the whole way. I then stopped at every single park the trail touched and ensured that I topped off all my bottles, as well as drank atleast 500ml at every stop. It was a ritual: notice the water fountain, quickly pull in, drink what I had, fill up, and leave without saying a word. Taking 2 bottles/7 miles made a huge difference in performance (along with the subway sandwhich) and I went just as hard, if not a little harder, on my return.

I finished at about 8:30PM, and the bicycle shop gave me hell for making them wait, but they quickly changed their tune when they found out I just completed a century on my own. The owner grinned and congratulated me, while I stumbled outside of the store and realized that I was stuck in my cycling shoes, and I REALLLY didn't want to walk. The 18 dollars taxi ride took me 1 mile...it was the best cab ride i've ever had, and it was the best present I could have asked for as my last day as a 28 year old.

:-) :-) :-)
Good stuff! Congrats!
Old 06-29-14, 04:58 AM
Ursa Minor

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grats! I plan to do a century this Saturday.

Charlie
Old 06-29-14, 07:58 AM
bransom

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome ride report! As I travel a fairly stupid amount for work, renting a bike and going is something I think about a lot but have only done a couple times. I think I'll file your message away as a reminder to just go for it. (I usually talk myself out of it.)

So congratulations on the century and especially for doing it somewhere other than home or a regular route!
Old 06-29-14, 05:27 PM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like a good first :-). Should be lots easier with rest stops and SAG:-).
Old 06-29-14, 08:37 PM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Congratulations!
Old 06-29-14, 10:20 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Good job. Are you a So-Cal kind of guy? Where did you find a 1000 foot ride?
Old 06-29-14, 10:30 PM
TinkerinWstuff

Bikes: Giant Anyroad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Loved the story, thanks for sharing!
Old 06-29-14, 10:36 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Great Story....

Old 06-30-14, 12:40 AM
mcmoose

Bikes: Trek Silque S, Bianchi Aria e-Road

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Dude... you rock!
Old 06-30-14, 07:01 AM
linnefaulk

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Congratulations!
Old 06-30-14, 10:47 AM
Shadow722

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bring my bike along on trips frequently, usually March - October. I haven't been much of a winter rider, although I do plan to get some cold weather gear soon and change that. I suffer every spring getting reaquainted with my bike. I am just under being a Clyde but in the early spring I am almost always just a few lbs into being a Clyde.

I did a ride in Whidbey Island that was 31.25 with 2116 feet of climb. At one point a runner past me uphill and I was mad and tried to catch him and he was gone, I was riding at 7 mph on a 3.3% grade hill that was 1.25 mile long, and I couldn't catch up to him, not so sure he was human.
Old 06-30-14, 12:17 PM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Congrats!
Old 06-30-14, 02:37 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
congrats
Old 06-30-14, 05:02 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Way to go! Very resourceful too. Doubt I would have tried such a ride with that late of a start. Good for you!
Old 06-30-14, 05:04 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Congrats, job well done.
Old 06-30-14, 05:05 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
Way to go! Very resourceful too. Doubt I would have tried such a ride with that late of a start. Good for you!

Agree on the late start. I usually like to start moving earlier in the morning, before temps go up.
Old 06-30-14, 05:08 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Agree on the late start. I usually like to start moving earlier in the morning, before temps go up.
I don't care for riding after dark and depending on where this ride was...it may have been dark at finish. Or if far enough north...was still somewhat light out. Being a woman I also doubt I would do such a ride solo in an unfamiliar area.
Old 06-30-14, 05:39 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
I don't care for riding after dark and depending on where this ride was...it may have been dark at finish. Or if far enough north...was still somewhat light out. Being a woman I also doubt I would do such a ride solo in an unfamiliar area.
I am a guy and I don't like doing long solo rides, in unfamiliar places, after dark. It stresses me.
Old 06-30-14, 05:59 PM
SammyJ 

Bikes: 2012 Caad 8 105; 1994 Trek 5500

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
Awesome story!
Old 06-30-14, 06:07 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadow722
I did a ride in Whidbey Island that was 31.25 with 2116 feet of climb. At one point a runner past me uphill and I was mad and tried to catch him and he was gone, I was riding at 7 mph on a 3.3% grade hill that was 1.25 mile long, and I couldn't catch up to him, not so sure he was human.
I did a ride in march with two other clydes from this board - we rode up the tramway in Palm Springs (15% grade... it was featured in the Tour of California last year) and some lady WALKING passed me. OK, she was kind of power walking but still.
Old 07-08-14, 11:57 AM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Congrats! The best ride is the unplanned one. I tend to over plan everything only to have something go wrong, so lately my rides have been just out and backs... distances depending on how I feel on the road/trail.
Old 07-08-14, 01:41 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
you are the man.. great story, congrats!
Old 07-09-14, 12:31 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
love the taxi part and the shop guy smiling part
Old 07-09-14, 05:12 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)