Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How do you commute without getting super sweaty?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How do you commute without getting super sweaty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-14, 04:39 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by PaperBag
I've ridden with a front basket before, and it was super annoying, but maybe it's because there was always a dog in it... I also don't think my bike could even have a tail-end basket. The thing in your video could probaly work, but I'm poor, sooo, lol.
No lockers at my school :/ (college) it's not a big campus.
LOL

Unless you're riding a super high end full carbon bike, it's almost certainly your bike *could* have a tail-end basket. You put a rack on the bike, and a basket on the rack - it's not free, though.

Here's a pic from google image search:

It's actually from another bikeforums thread titled "How to carry backpack on rack w/o being too kludgy?":

I think it's a topeak rack and a topeak basket.

Here's a completely different one:

Here's a side-mounted folding basket -

Apparently it's the "Wald #582 Folding Rear Mounted Bike Basket"
Amazon.com : Wald 582 Rear Folding Bicycle Basket (12.75 x 7.25 x 8.5, Black) : Bike Baskets : Sports & Outdoors

P.S. I ran across the Banjo Brothers backpack/pannier and it's much less expensive at $90. Problem is, while they make good stuff, I think aesthetically (looks-wise) the Arkel Bug looks better.

Site:
Convertible Waterproof Pannier Backpack | Banjo Brothers

Youtube Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93oq...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-14-14, 05:08 PM
MNTC

Bikes: 1991 Eddie Merckx Corsa, 1991 Cannondale 3.0 Road Race, 2008 Bianchi Pista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even if there aren't showers officially available for your use there may be options for you. If your college has a med school they will have shower facilities for overnight staff/students. At least at the UofM(N) many bathrooms in the medical sciences buildings have showers, and while they're technically not for public use they are accessible during public hours. Additionally, sports facilities will definitely have showers but I would guess it's harder to look like you belong there

Minneapolis homeless love the U's health center complex for this reason.
Old 08-14-14, 05:15 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Count me as one of those guys who sweats by just looking at my bike.

I commute by bike every day, but I'm fortunate to have a private office where I can leave street clothes & a towel and other assorted things which makes it possible for me to be presentable. I wear dedicated riding gear, towel off and change into street clothes once I've cooled down. And I change everything, shoes, socks you name it.
Old 08-14-14, 10:10 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
I bring my clothes in on the weekend ( we have lockers) I'm drenched when I get to work but we also have showers so I'm good to go ( lucky)
Old 08-14-14, 10:56 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Remember, sweat itself is harmless, and you will dry off. Sweat mixed with bacteria will cause stench. Take a good, long shower before your ride, and you'll be fine.
Old 08-14-14, 11:58 PM
nashvillwill

Bikes: Globe Vienna 3 Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a naturally sweaty guy, in the southern heat/humidity (that means "sticky" for you colorado folk) and the way i deal with it is proper clothing. Wicking clothing is key. I wear a lose wicking shirt and tight wicking pants and briefs. The loose shirt allows you to sweat, while the tight pants allow you to stay dry with airflow and dispersion. The best part of wicking material is you can wad it up small into a bag or whatever. Just beware and wash them daily. When you wash, use a little white vinegar. It's like bleach, but safe with colors. I keep the briefs on the whole day though. They don't seem to really get too bad.
Old 08-15-14, 12:57 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
We have been experiencing our usual summer heat and much higher than normal humidity... I am breaking a sweat just typing here.
Old 08-15-14, 06:06 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
We have been experiencing our usual summer heat and much higher than normal humidity... I am breaking a sweat just typing here.
Here in Atlanta I can't recall a cooler summer. Yesterday it was 64 degrees when I left the house! Amazing. People complain about the heat and I think they're crazy. I think people complain like that almost regardless of the actual temperature.
Old 08-15-14, 07:26 AM
DrPangloss

Bikes: RANS Alterra, Jamis Coda, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes. Actually, any decent wicking gym shirt will work. I picked Champion because it is easily available and is inexpensive. You can go to REI too or LL Bean, and pick whatever looks good, so long as the cloth is quick-dry.

Last edited by DrPangloss; 08-15-14 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Bad formatting
Old 08-15-14, 07:34 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,644 Times in 950 Posts
I just sweat. Change clothes at work.
Old 08-15-14, 08:14 AM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Riding without sweating....... Is there such a thing?

- Andy
Old 08-15-14, 08:31 AM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
Here in Atlanta I can't recall a cooler summer. Yesterday it was 64 degrees when I left the house! Amazing. People complain about the heat and I think they're crazy. I think people complain like that almost regardless of the actual temperature.
Our summer here in Chicago has been similarly mild. It's 57 F here at the moment. People are complaining about the heat when it gets above 80, My response is, that's 10 degrees cooler than expected, stop complaining!
Old 08-15-14, 09:22 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
not everyone perspires the same. I have hyperhidrosis but my wife doesn't. my daughter sweats a normal amount with strenuous activity or in heat but my son doesn't. we have to keep an eye on him and be sure to dump water on his head during extreme heat activities
Old 08-15-14, 09:40 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by TransitBiker
Riding without sweating....... Is there such a thing?
Not really, even when it's below freezing my clothes are damp when I get to work.
Old 08-15-14, 12:01 PM
PaperBag

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uhh. I just typed up this big thing and it didn't post, so I'll simplify things.

1. I go to a small art school, so there are no types of showers, only sinks.
2. The hills are pretty bad, on the way home there are quite a few areas where I can just coast because it's downhill, which would be the exact opposite on the way to school
3. The sunlight is extremely strong here since Colorado is so high in altitude and the air is so thin.
4. I don't think my bike can handle a rear-end bike rack because I already attached some "ghetto-ish" fenders that are weirdly bulky. This isn't that big of an issue though because I don't mind wearing my backpack that much.
5. I already did a "test-run" this morning (12 miles round trip), but it was right after I had been working out for an hour already, so I was already sweaty. But it seemed like I didn't sweat all that much during the ride, even though I was wearing multiple layers of clothes. The test was flawed though, because it wasn't the same path I will have to take. Also I rode before the sun had risen, and I know the sunlight will be a big issue. I'll have to try again and take the actual path to my school during the day time, which is gonna suck, because once I get there I'll have to turn back around...
6. I know sweating is inevitable, but I don't want to be drenched. Also, if I have to slow down a whole bunch so I don't sweat, and then end up taking longer than if I just took the bus, it would sort of defeat the purpose...

Last edited by PaperBag; 08-15-14 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-15-14, 02:19 PM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Not really, even when it's below freezing my clothes are damp when I get to work.
Yea. In cold & wintery riding situations i try to dress for where i'm going under mainly wind-proof layers. If you do too much insulation you can really end up soaked in sweat including on exposed skin, which is very bad for you depending on location (neck comes to mind). You can also end up overheating just like on a hot day. That isnt good either when your lungs are breathing in cold air let alone the heat exhaustion danger.

- Andy
Old 08-15-14, 02:23 PM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Uhh. I just typed up this big thing and it didn't post, so I'll simplify things.

1. I go to a small art school, so there are no types of showers, only sinks.
2. The hills are pretty bad, on the way home there are quite a few areas where I can just coast because it's downhill, which would be the exact opposite on the way to school
3. The sunlight is extremely strong here since Colorado is so high in altitude and the air is so thin.
4. I don't think my bike can handle a rear-end bike rack because I already attached some "ghetto-ish" fenders that are weirdly bulky. This isn't that big of an issue though because I don't mind wearing my backpack that much.
5. I already did a "test-run" this morning (12 miles round trip), but it was right after I had been working out for an hour already, so I was already sweaty. But it seemed like I didn't sweat all that much during the ride, even though I was wearing multiple layers of clothes. The test was flawed though, because it wasn't the same path I will have to take. Also I rode before the sun had risen, and I know the sunlight will be a big issue. I'll have to try again and take the actual path to my school during the day time, which is gonna suck, because once I get there I'll have to turn back around...
6. I know sweating is inevitable, but I don't want to be drenched. Also, if I have to slow down a whole bunch so I don't sweat, and then end up taking longer than if I just took the bus, it would sort of defeat the purpose...
I have to say, that the sweat usually comes after you stop, due to the cooling effect of you moving through the air going away. On really humid days the moisture in the air can actually make it worse, first it can make sweating not work if its too hot, and it can deposit moisture that doesn't evaporate on your skin, bike, and helmet.

- Andy
Old 08-16-14, 03:35 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
...is being sweaty just inevitable?...
^^This. Sorry.

I went for a casual ride this a.m. in New Orleans. It was 82*F and 90% humidity BEFORE the sun cracked the horizon. By 9a.m. when most people leave for work it is about a million degrees in the sun. It will literally take a normal person in good shape 20 minutes to STOP sweating after entering an air conditioned building after 10 miles on a bike.

Join a fitness club near your destination. Pretty-up there before work. Then take it real easy from the club to work/school. Or buy some stock in a "baby-wipe" company and go that route. Wait until you stop sweating before sponging off. Pick baby wipes from Whole Foods or such that do not have chlorine.

There is an awful lot of clothing out there designed for NOT looking like you are sweating and dry really quickly in air conditioned spaces. Many of the shirts are knits and shorts are Supplex(R) nylon. Linen works pretty well too. They look like normal clothes but have techie capabilities. You won't find them in thrift stores generally. But if that saves you bus fare or the cost of owning a dependable automobile and parking (*GASP*) perhaps the cost is justifiable. Expect to spend about $40 on one shirt unless you catch a sale. I really like the Columbia Silver Ridge long sleeve shirts. The sleeves roll up and button in place. You could get out of a shower soaking wet and look dry. You will be dry in minutes (after you stop sweating).

There are hundreds of choices these days for casual clothing with techie properties.

Good on-ya for wanting to bike exclusively!

One more thing. Cut your hair really short or shave your head. Long hair and fancy styles don't hold up well for bike travel in extreme heat.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 08-16-14 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-16-14, 04:10 PM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Shower before riding, sweat as needed, strip out of bike clothes, towel off, change into work clothes...works great.
Old 08-16-14, 10:23 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Here's a side-mounted folding basket -

Apparently it's the "Wald #582 Folding Rear Mounted Bike Basket"
Amazon.com : Wald 582 Rear Folding Bicycle Basket (12.75 x 7.25 x 8.5, Black) : Bike Baskets : Sports & Outdoors
Yeah, that's what it looks like.

Here's mine:

Doesn't have a lot to do with commuting and not getting sweaty.

Temp doesn't matter. If you're not sweatin'----you ain't ridin'.

It's hard to believe that this thread is two pages long. I guess idiots like me need to STFU.
Old 08-16-14, 11:05 PM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gregjones
Yeah, that's what it looks like.

Here's mine:

Doesn't have a lot to do with commuting and not getting sweaty.

Temp doesn't matter. If you're not sweatin'----you ain't ridin'.

It's hard to believe that this thread is two pages long. I guess idiots like me need to STFU.
How much weight are those rated to, do they attach & detach without a complicated procedure, and how much noise do they make?

On my grocery runs, especially the return trip, i tend to sweat less, because i'm focused on navigating and not speed. If the store is about to close & i need something i cant wait for like milk, thats a different story & i can hit 22-25 mph in a few spots, and i arrive outa breath and soaked in sweat. However, on that last point i should say that some nights this summer its been cool & dry enough that i arrive without much sweat & heart & breathing get back to normal very quickly.

- Andy
Old 08-16-14, 11:28 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know what the Wald baskets are rated to carry. I'd politely refer you to waldsports(or something like that).com.

I can tell you that I installed a front basket to add enough counterweight to make me feel safe riding it.

Bike--34 lbs. Home from store--82 lbs. Step on/off bathroom scales.....YMMV.

It's all I care to push up my hills and probably more than I should carry on my low (24) spoke count wheels.

They were very easy to install. I used zip ties to locate them far enough back to prevent heel strike. Then, I used the hardware that Wald included. They fold to only a few inches wide and I've seen no need to remove them. Commuter=34 lbs. Road bike=18 lbs. Two four pound baskets isn't going to make a lot of difference.

Noise? I don't use the factory do-lollies to close them. I use two bungee cords in an "X" pattern across the rack to clamp them tight. No rattles and I have somewhere to carry the bungees.

I am completely satisfied with the performance of the Wald products that I have used.

Last edited by gregjones; 08-16-14 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-17-14, 07:10 AM
TinkerinWstuff

Bikes: Giant Anyroad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We are pretty dry here in Colorado compared with the climate from many of the responders. I do 20 miles each way and moisture accumulation in my clothes is minimal if I wear the right clothes, slow down, and don't have a backpack (racks).

oh, and you're gonna have to get a job some day so just go ahead and cut your dam hair.

Last edited by TinkerinWstuff; 08-17-14 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-17-14, 09:20 AM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gregjones
I don't know what the Wald baskets are rated to carry. I'd politely refer you to waldsports(or something like that).com.

I can tell you that I installed a front basket to add enough counterweight to make me feel safe riding it.

Bike--34 lbs. Home from store--82 lbs. Step on/off bathroom scales.....YMMV.

It's all I care to push up my hills and probably more than I should carry on my low (24) spoke count wheels.

They were very easy to install. I used zip ties to locate them far enough back to prevent heel strike. Then, I used the hardware that Wald included. They fold to only a few inches wide and I've seen no need to remove them. Commuter=34 lbs. Road bike=18 lbs. Two four pound baskets isn't going to make a lot of difference.

Noise? I don't use the factory do-lollies to close them. I use two bungee cords in an "X" pattern across the rack to clamp them tight. No rattles and I have somewhere to carry the bungees.

I am completely satisfied with the performance of the Wald products that I have used.
Thanks for the info. I'd probably end up taking them off when i'm not doing a big grocery run. Been thinking about getting a front rack as well as a small digital hanging scale to ensure weight was not over limit. Front wheel is 3 cross laced, so no worries bout weight there.

As far as sweating........ Muscles working create heat, body needs to sweat to keep core temperature down. Unless you wear a circulating coolant garment or a cooling vest you're gonna sweat.

- Andy
Old 08-17-14, 12:22 PM
rara avis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is nothing I can do to stop sweating, in my case. I am lucky to live in the mountains and have cooler mornings, even in the middle of the summer. I still sweat...
I believe the sweat is not the real problem, but BO.
I solved the BO by using alum block/spray. Alum spray is more convenient, but the block is very compact and it lasts much longer.
I do sweat while I bike and when arrive at work. Go in the washroom and change top and pants. Before I put the dry top on, I give 3-4 puffs under arms and I am BO free for the rest of the day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.