Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Full Coverage Fat Bike Fenders

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Old 05-04-18, 10:59 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts

Well, the search goes on. It would appear that Big O manufacturing - the only company to make this product - no longer exists. With a set of full coverage fenders for winter muck, my Pugs could be so much more useful than it is though.

Apparently, however, I must be the only one who thinks so, otherwise an outfit like Planet Bike or SKS would be making these already.

Any ideas, or something I'm missing?
Old 05-05-18, 09:53 AM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
I know Rad Power fat bikes have very nice steel fenders.
I do not know if they fit on all fat bikes.
Send them an e-mail and ask.
Old 05-06-18, 09:14 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

I'll look at those. Pity they're steel, because something lightweight and weather resistant in poly/plastic would be nice.

C'mon, Planet Bike!
Old 05-06-18, 02:25 PM
PdalPowr

I agree on the weight factor.
On a sixty pound bike a few ounces doesn't matter as much.
I do think the finish on them is pretty nice.

My L.B.S. has aftermarket plastic fenders but I don't know
if they have them wide enough for a fatty.
They also have a matte black finish.
Old 05-08-18, 01:30 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

The weight is just a part of the drawbacks. Steel fenders rust, and they dent in ways the poly do not. On top of that, they’re almost always more expensive than their poly equivalent.
Old 05-08-18, 08:19 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Also, the Rad Power ones appear to be all sold out.

Womp, womp.
Old 05-09-18, 04:00 AM
PdalPowr

I think the sold out part of the Rad's unsuitability is due to the change in Seasons.
I am pretty sure they will be back soon. You are right I have seen them on bikes.
No doubt they are heavier than other fenders. I can say the ones I saw
were well painted with a nice finish.

The plastic ones I saw looked more utilitarian with a dull matte finish.
However they didn't need struts. The steel one had struts which
to me takes away from their look.
I hope you get nice fenders.
Old 05-09-18, 11:53 AM
5teve

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
Someone posted on MTBR a while ago-they took a set of regular, 60mm or so fenders, split them lengthwise and then reattached with a strip of similar material in the middle to make them wider. Failing all else, maybe a good project?
Old 05-11-18, 02:01 PM
PdalPowr

I was at the L.B.S. today and saw some nice Axiom Fat bike fenders.
They are polypropolene I think and very light.No struts either which contributes to a clean look.
I do not know if they are long enough for what you want but they are certainly wide enough.
They are called the Axiom fat bike front runner and rear runner.
Old 05-14-18, 03:11 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

I’ll look into those Axiom fenders...
Old 08-07-18, 10:38 AM
RBChi

Bikes: Surly Troll, Redline Metro 9, K2 Disco Monkey (for sale!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I realize this is a few months old, but in my search I came across Mudhuggers. The US distributer is shop.cyclepathpdx.com/mudhugger-usa/ (I'm new so I can't post links)
I like the design but it was going to take a bit more work to get them to fit my Surly Troll. They were moderately helpful as far as service goes, but I wasn't willing to try a heat gun to get the most custom fit.
Old 08-07-18, 10:09 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 340 Posts
I found some videos on making my own. Saved a lot of money and you can use any material you want
Old 08-08-18, 10:13 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
I'm actually in the process of removing full coverage fenders from my hybrid because there is the real risk of sticks or stones making the fender collapse into the wheel and lock it.
If you think about snow and mud, the full fenders are too close to the tire and will just lock the wheel when they are full of snow and mud.

The only time the fenders ever were useful is when after a rain. during rain I doubt they make a difference. for my commute I shower and change at work anyway. for fatbiking I don't care if i get dirty, no full fender keeps me clean anyway.

Just something to consider. i started out with wanting full fenders on both my bikes, just to realize they are not wort the effort and have an inherent risk. Added cost and weight as well.

If you go with fenders, the clearance to tire should be at least 20 mm and they should have breakaways. It also is recommended to have them closer to tire at the end (where the tire rotates into under the fender) and opening up to the front to reduce risk of things getting stuck. With knobby tires the risk of the tire bringing debris into the fender is bigger than let's say road tires. I researched all last night on that and saw horrific pictures of locked front wheels inc. broken off forks. I know that may only be a tiny risk overall, but it is there.

I know fenders are a polarizing topic and there are pros and cons. I'm not saying to do or don't, just something to consider. IMHO fenders have a place for commuters on paved roads. I just assume your case of a fatbike is not a paved road necessarily?

Just look at any MTB videos or dirty Kanza etc and see how many (or few) actually have fenders.

just my 2ct

Last edited by HerrKaLeun; 08-08-18 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-13-18, 02:46 AM
pcf

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Old 08-15-18, 11:05 AM
xcallibre10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
those are nice
Old 08-20-18, 03:44 PM
Alexxx1

Bikes: I'm looking for the right one

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With knobby tires the risk of the tire bringing debris into the fender is bigger than let's say road tires. I researched all last night on that and saw horrific pictures of locked front wheels inc. broken off forks. I know that may only be a tiny risk overall, but it is there.
Old 08-20-18, 05:46 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Alexxx1
With knobby tires the risk of the tire bringing debris into the fender is bigger than let's say road tires. I researched all last night on that and saw horrific pictures of locked front wheels inc. broken off forks. I know that may only be a tiny risk overall, but it is there.
True.
the clip-on fenders linked above won't have that problem. i had a similar rear fender (mud shovel) but over time the material go weak and the dender sometimes swang down into the tire and the tire rolled it up. I had to put that rear fender into a very high angle (like 30+° from horizontal). i ended up selling it... When it gets dirty, you get dirty anyway. you need to clean the bike and yourself anyway.
Old 08-21-18, 02:48 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
A buddy, took what he could find , split it down the center, added a section of plastic sheet,
pop riveted together, and had what he needed..
Old 10-31-18, 08:53 AM
StepTwin Bike
Banned

Bikes: StepTwin® Bike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's for sure
Old 11-24-18, 10:07 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
I'm actually in the process of removing full coverage fenders from my hybrid because there is the real risk of sticks or stones making the fender collapse into the wheel and lock it.
If you think about snow and mud, the full fenders are too close to the tire and will just lock the wheel when they are full of snow and mud.

The only time the fenders ever were useful is when after a rain. during rain I doubt they make a difference. for my commute I shower and change at work anyway. for fatbiking I don't care if i get dirty, no full fender keeps me clean anyway.

Just something to consider. i started out with wanting full fenders on both my bikes, just to realize they are not wort the effort and have an inherent risk. Added cost and weight as well.

If you go with fenders, the clearance to tire should be at least 20 mm and they should have breakaways. It also is recommended to have them closer to tire at the end (where the tire rotates into under the fender) and opening up to the front to reduce risk of things getting stuck. With knobby tires the risk of the tire bringing debris into the fender is bigger than let's say road tires. I researched all last night on that and saw horrific pictures of locked front wheels inc. broken off forks. I know that may only be a tiny risk overall, but it is there.

I know fenders are a polarizing topic and there are pros and cons. I'm not saying to do or don't, just something to consider. IMHO fenders have a place for commuters on paved roads. I just assume your case of a fatbike is not a paved road necessarily?

Just look at any MTB videos or dirty Kanza etc and see how many (or few) actually have fenders.

just my 2ct
If I was doing actual MTBing, or racing the dirty Kanza, I wouldn't run fenders either. But, I run them all the time on my commuter/utility bike, in a variety of conditions, including some light off-road and trails, and have never had an issue. What they do, however, is keep me and my drivetrain clean.

On the fatbike, where fenders are a must is when the snow is getting slushy everywhere. I use that bike to get around places in the winter most of all, and eating face-fulls of salty slush, while also getting it glopped up my back really sucks.

However, while RadPower has the fenders back in stock, I've reached the point where I'm thinking about parting ways with my Pugs. It was a fun experiment, but just sees too little usage through the year. Even in winter, there are days that I ride it just because it's there and I feel I ought to, not because I need to.
Old 01-07-19, 06:42 AM
Big Blu
Pop,Pop

Bikes: Firestone sting ray, Free Spirit 10 speed, Raleigh SC-30

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice
Old 01-07-19, 09:32 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
PDW Fenders

Originally Posted by Banzai
Well, the search goes on. It would appear that Big O manufacturing - the only company to make this product - no longer exists. With a set of full coverage fenders for winter muck, my Pugs could be so much more useful than it is though.

Apparently, however, I must be the only one who thinks so, otherwise an outfit like Planet Bike or SKS would be making these already.

Any ideas, or something I'm missing?
Not full coverage, but would at least keep a person from eating a lot of trail spray, and they're inexpensive. PDW
Old 10-28-19, 08:50 PM
Rangerbob1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pdw fender

I second the pdw. The downtube mount works great, and you can move it up or down as needed. Great for keeping the wet slop off your feet as well. You can pop the fender off for nice days in seconds.
Old 10-31-19, 11:41 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I use coroplast or plastic house siding. Put some under the rear rack and the back of the seat tube. For the front put some on the underside of the down tube, zip tie as needed. Dirt shovels? might be a brand. The other fork option is to put a star nut in the bottom of the steerer tube. You then get a point which to put a front fender.
Old 11-14-19, 12:18 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 225 Posts
I am on version 2.0 of fenders for my Felt DD70. The first was made from rolled sledding plastic which is easily cut and formed. The rear was attached by a narrower SKS I had kicking around. Last year I installed the Axiom front runner fat and rear runner fat and just left them on for all seasons. The front derailleur often gets packed with mud and ice with no protection in that area. I do prefer the looks of the Axiom.