Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tiny Bit of Play in Rear Wheel

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-01-19, 04:25 PM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts

I recently experienced a broken skewer which left me unable to ride back home. Fortunately, I was relatively nearby.
Anyhow, it broke in the threaded area at the hinged end. It is on my errand/grocery-shopper bike and often lugs 20-40lbs.
I am 160lb.

While the wheel was off, I repacked the relatively new ball bearings & cones, made the appropriate adjustments, and re-installed the wheel.
Now, there is a tiny bit of play when I grab and try to move the wheel from side to side.

The new skewer is pretty tight, but I don't want to overtighten and stress the metal, threads, etc...

Should I place a thin washer in the mix?

Please help! Thanks in advance!
Old 05-01-19, 04:47 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Sounds more like you need to tighten the cones
Likes For redlude97:
Old 05-01-19, 06:49 PM
BobFishell

Bikes: 1990 Klein Quantum, 1995 Klein Quantum Pro, 1997 Klein Pulse Comp, Cannondale 3.0 (junk box build - year unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
You need to adjust the cones again. You should feel a tiny bit of play in the axle when the wheel is off the bike, but it will go away once you tighten the QR. If it does not, you need to move them in a little bit. My method is to adjust them finger tight then back off a few degrees before I tighten the lock nut. It can be trial and error. Most of my bikes have sealed bearing hubs now for that reason.
Old 05-01-19, 07:19 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
Use this method to adjust: https://www.google.com/search?q=adju...TF-8#kpvalbx=1

If you've assembled the hub correctly, you can use two 17 mm open-end wrenches to tighten the last few degrees.
Old 05-02-19, 12:46 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Use this method to adjust: https://www.google.com/search?q=adju...TF-8#kpvalbx=1

If you've assembled the hub correctly, you can use two 17 mm open-end wrenches to tighten the last few degrees.
I have always disliked doing this job because I never get the cones set correctly the first time. But I recently watched that video from Art's Cyclery, and used the method of backing out both cones slightly and got a perfect adjustment.
Old 05-02-19, 01:08 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I use a 7/16" nut over the right side lock nut and install the skewer as tight as it would be on the bike. I adjust the bearings with a slight amount of preload. When the QR is open there is a slight amount of play in the axle that goes away when installed on the bike.
Over sized axles don't much or any play out of the bike and should be adjusted accordingly.
Old 05-02-19, 01:08 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
How did you manage to break a skewer while out on a ride?

I managed to twist my skewer with my trailer hitch once, and broke it. Now, I frequently have the skewer handle facing to the drive side.

The nearest Dick's Sporting Goods either didn't have spare skewers, or wouldn't sell me one (come back in a week doesn't work when one is stuck beside the road).

So, across the street was a building supply store, and I bought a piece of "allthread", some nuts, and a pile of washers, and managed to ride home.

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...back-home.html
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 05-02-19, 01:55 PM
Random Tandem
Old Bike Craphound

Bikes: 1974 Teledyne Titan, 1970's Sekine, 1980's Kuwahara Tandem, plus a few dozen

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelm101
Should I place a thin washer in the mix?
I have heard that you should not have washers with QR because the system depends on the friction between the dropouts and the QR ends to keep the wheel from pulling forward when you are really cranking up a hill.

As others have said, play in the wheel is a bearing adjustment issue, not something to address with the QR.

-Will
Old 05-02-19, 02:49 PM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Originally Posted by BCDrums
I have always disliked doing this job because I never get the cones set correctly the first time. But I recently watched that video from Art's Cyclery, and used the method of backing out both cones slightly and got a perfect adjustment.
Agreed, but I now have much more patience (most particularly in equalizing the threaded axle / dropout spacing). My father demonstrated the job when I was a child back in the early 70s.
I tried it, disliked it and avoided it at all costs. I always thought that there's got to be a better mousetrap. Here I am, almost half century later and I'm still dealing with the same ordeal!

Thanks all! It's all done and ready to roll!

Last edited by michaelm101; 05-02-19 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-02-19, 03:57 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 869 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelm101
Agreed, but I now have much more patience (most particularly in equalizing the threaded axle / dropout spacing). My father demonstrated the job when I was a child back in the early 70s.
I tried it, disliked it and avoided it at all costs. I always thought that there's got to be a better mousetrap. Here I am, almost half century later and I'm still dealing with the same ordeal!

Thanks all! It's all done and ready to roll!
It's so much faster when you do it on a regular basis. Once a year like many of us and you lose "the touch".

I tighten the heck out of the DS cone/lock nut and leave that affixed to the axle when servicing No respacing the axle in the drop outs.
Old 05-02-19, 04:09 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
BITD Pro team mechanics had a spare set of dropouts , handy by the truing stands, so as to have all the spare wheels

optimally adjusted & ready to go on the team support car..
Old 05-04-19, 02:44 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Besides the above, check the replacement skewer to be sure it fits your frame properly. Some skewers, QR and non-QR, have nuts that won't quite fit the droput lawyer lips and slow-release wheel removal thwarters. Those "safety" doodads can actually contribute to an unsafe condition if we swap quick releases. If the retaining nut opposite the QR doesn't fit completely inside the lawyer lips, it'll clamp unsecurely on the wrong part of the dropout. That could lead to a bent or broken skewer and worse.

I discovered this recently when I put the wrong QR from my road bike onto my errand bike. The road bike skewer has a fancy designed retaining nut that wouldn't fit inside the errand bike's lawyer lips. I noticed the mismatch when the front brake suddenly jammed against the rim. I knew the brake was adjusted properly so the wheel had to be off somewhere. Sure enough, the mismatched skewer nut kept the wheel from seating correctly. I have some spares so I dug around until I found a nut that correctly fit that bike.

Yeah, maintenance of bearing components can be a chore, but with a little practice it's not too tedious. The hardest part is usually tweaking the cone/cup tension jusssst-right. Usually takes me two or three tries to get it right after tightening the lock ring.

Lock nut must fit inside that recess.
Old 05-04-19, 03:07 PM
michaelm101

Recess

Thanks for that info. I just checked two of my bikes and the recess is non-existent...just flat with grippy edges.