Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tire Search Leads to New Helmet...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-19, 06:53 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts

I commute and was happy with the 700x35 Forte Metros from Performance Cycling. They're supple, inexpensive and durable. But they still wear out over time. Since Performance closed their physical stores I spent the afternoon visit a few local bike shops (LBS) to see what they had. Nobody had 700x35 anything in stock. 700x36s won't fit with my fenders, and 700x32, the next size I could find in stock anywhere is a little small for my taste. Everybody could order, but I wanted to be able to feel the tires. After all, Continental Touring IIs are much firmer and stiffer than their Ultra Sport IIs, but you have ti feel them to appreciate that.

As a last resort I went to Big 5 Sports, which I consider the Big Lots of sporting goods. There's some cheap, low quality stuff; but then there's also some great deals on better quality items.

While at Big 5 I found the Bell Adrenaline helmet, and not just one. I'm on my second. It's three years old and it's almost worn out. I see them occasionally at Target and Walmart, but less and less so. While most new helmets have an adjustment dial in the back, the Adrenaline has an elastic strap (and reflectors). I like the strap, because I clip a 180-degree blinkie back there at night, or when it is dark and overcast, or raining, or foggy.

I also have a way to mount a flashlight pointing forward using a velcro strap, and also my helmet cam.

The rear blinkie has side-firing LEDS , and I've been fitting the barrel of an orange plastic prescription bottle on the flashlight for greater side visibility.

I once saw a Bell Adrenaline helmet in white and thought my next one would be white. But I never saw another, and to order online would incure shipping.

But Big 5 had three right there in the store.

So I bought one on sale for 19.99, marked down from 24.99, which helped offset the added cost of shipping, as I ordered my new set of Forte Metros online from Performance, which were still only $14 apiece, but now had a shipping charge.

Here are photos, of the two helmet and light setups. The black helmet is from December 2014, right before I replaced it with another black one. The white helmet is the new one. I notice I'm also a little whiter on my chin, too. I added a reflective swoosh to the black helmet, although on the next one I put a thin band of white reflective tape around the perimeter. On the new helmet I used black and yellow reflective caution tape since that is what I use on my main commuter.

I know this may not be of interest to most (or anyone), but it's this kind of method sharing on Bikeforums that I find so helpful, so I just wanted to show my helmet setup in case it helps someone else visualize what they want to do.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 06-03-19, 05:19 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,413 Times in 2,751 Posts
Nice report, though that big camera makes my neck hurt just looking at it!
Old 04-16-20, 07:52 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Nice report, though that big camera makes my neck hurt just looking at it!
The camera's pretty light...and anyway what ever it does weigh is offset by my lack of an actual brain...YMMV.
Old 04-16-20, 08:30 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
The camera's pretty light...and anyway what ever it does weigh is offset by my lack of an actual brain...YMMV.
Do you run the camera on a loop or last long enough for commute? I use the Cycliq headlight and taillight camera because my head is a bowling ball.

Old 04-16-20, 10:50 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
This is a good thread, reminding us that not every piece of kit needs to be high end, the lightest weight, or the most aerodynamic. And sticking with a model that you like can give you a long time being satisfied with the price-feature point you prefer. Kudos for making it functional for your needs.
Old 04-16-20, 01:45 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
So, what do I have to shop for that will end up with me getting a new bike?
Likes For bruce19: