Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

War wounds!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

War wounds!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-03, 09:32 AM
bikeCOLORADO
#GoatRidesBikes.com

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, the pain!

That beats any of my trail rash by far!
Old 04-21-03, 11:15 AM
ngateguy
Center of the Universe

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo, Norvara Intrepid MTB , Softride Solo 700

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No pics but about 2 months ago did an end over handle bars an the way to work here is the list of damages

Me:
Broken nose
hairline fracture in the wrist
twisted ankle
road rash on left shoulder and left knee
chipped tooth
fractured fingernail, which finally fell off waiting for it to grow back.
and scrambled brains (even more so than usual )

Bike helmet: Toast

Bike:

zero damage the front rim was even still true after the impact
Old 04-21-03, 01:03 PM
bikeman
Lovin' my Fixie

Bikes: Litespeed Classic, C-Dale MT1000, 80's Trek 770, 2005 Raleigh Rush Hour Pro, Fixed

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ouch that looks painful. Make sure you keep those clean and get medical attention before they start to get infected. In fact that hip injury could use a look-see by the doc in case that deep gouge has some road junk in there.

I did a similar knee injury a couple of years ago after getting run off the road by a dog. Washed it out with peroxide within 5 minutes, scrubbed it good after I got home an hour later and it still needed a doctor's advice and another cleaning 3 days later after it started to look bad.

Good luck with your recovery.
Old 04-21-03, 08:56 PM
Raedeke

Bikes: '89-Trek 2120 '04-Cannondale Hybrid '05-Specialized Roubaix Comp '89 Burley Tandem

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was run over by a motorcycle in 83'. And although those are great booboos to share with the grandkids, try this on for size...

Broken femur, torn ACL,MCL,PCL & LCL, dislocated about everything in my right hand, broke both bones in my arm - one of which was a compound fracture, shattered my #4 metacarpal, broke the 5th, broke my middle finger and nearly ripped the tip off it... and to top it all of, a collapsed lung....

Stupid thing was, I forgot my helmet that day. Can't believe I'm alive! 3 weeks in the hospital, 6 major surgeries and about 1million dollars later. Boy and I glad for my State Farm insurance... Won't use anyone else!

Just now getting back on a road bike - have got some major mental obstacles to overcome with the whole toe clips thing... trashed my knee!

Funny thing is every time I see my Orthopedic surgen on the street - he stops me, grabs my are and does a quick examination of his work and to this day still says " boy do I do good work" and I agree totally.

I never ride without the lid these days...