Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Froome Out of TdF?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-18, 10:07 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Froome Out of TdF?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/chris-f...2642--sow.html

Paris (AFP) - Tour de France organisers have formally blocked four-time champion Chris Froome from competing in this year's race, Le Monde reported Sunday, but his team promptly vowed he would be at the start line.

Cyclingnews.com quoted Team Sky as responding to Sunday's report that they are "confident that Chris will be riding the Tour as we know he has done nothing wrong.

The Team Sky star has been under a cloud since he was found to have twice the permissible amount of asthma drug Salbutamol in his system during September's Vuelta a Espana, which he won.

Five-time Tour winner Bernard Hinault, who worked for the Tour organisation for many years, last month called for the peloton to strike if the British rider lines up at the start of this year's event next Saturday.

Froome responded on Wednesday that he will compete in this year's race despite the shadow cast by the case hanging over him and his team confirmed as much on Sunday with their statement.

- Last-ditch bid -

The decision on the organisers' attempt to prevent the Kenyan-born Briton from taking part is expected to be made by the French National Olympic and Sports Committee, which is to make a ruling Tuesday, Le Monde said after the last-ditch bid to exclude him.

Technically, while Froome awaits the result of an ongoing investigation into his Salbutamol case, he can still ride on the Tour.

Amaury Sports Organisation (ASO), the organisers of the iconic Tour, refused to comment on the report although AFP has had confirmation of information they say backs their view that the defending champion should not be allowed to race.

According to the letter of the rules, Froome is authorised to ride until a final decision from the anti-doping tribunal of the International Cycling Union regarding his ongoing case.

Le Monde says Froome will not necessarily attend Tuesday's meeting by the French committee with their ruling due Wednesday.

He is to be defended by British sports lawyer Mike Morgan, a French speaker, before the UCI tribunal.

Sky, ASO and the French Olympic Committee will each choose an arbiter to decide whether Froome should be allowed to start the Tour.

- Reputation damage -

According to Tour statutes, organisers may ban a rider or a team if their presence is seen as liable to damage the image or reputation of the organisers or the event.

UCI president David Lappartient reacted to the story on the sidelines of the French national championships.

"For the moment we have here a leak in Le Monde. I have always said we would make known the general position of the UCI before the Tour and that will be the case. It begins next Saturday so we shall explain our position during the coming week," Lappartient said.
Tour de France race director Christian Prudhomme said Friday that in the absence of a ruling against the rider the organisers "evidently expects to see Chris Froome at the start line on July 7," adding that, "legally, he can."

Team Sky have yet to unveil their eight-strong team.

Froome, who denies wrongdoing in the wake of his "adverse analytical finding" on September 20 last year, is out to emulate five-time winners Hinault, Jacques Anquetil, Eddy Merckx and Miguel Indurain.

A win this year would make Froome the second racer after Merckx to win four straight Tours.

American Lance Armstrong finished first seven straight times, but those results were retrospectively scrubbed out because of drug use.

Hinault, whose 1985 win gave the host nation its last title, sees Froome as a "cheat", a stance Team Sky decried.

Froome's Giro win in May made him the first man to hold all three Grand Tours at once since Hinault himself in 1983.

But Le Monde commented that "the Tour de France wants to avoid at all costs finding itself in the same situation as at the recent Tour of Italy where Froome's final win is now marked with an asterisk."

Spanish rider Alberto Contador, stripped of his 2010 Tour de France and the 2011 Giro after testing positive for clenbuterol at the former to earn a 2012 ban -- he blamed the result on contaminated steak -- has lamented the slowness of the case.

"It would have been better for everyone if the Froome affair had been resolved much more quickly," he told French sports daily l'Equipe on Friday.
Old 07-01-18, 10:13 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
Froome deserves a BAN.
Loss of Vuelta and Giro titles.
Pro cycling has zero credibility with this matter unaddressed since Sept 2017.
Old 07-01-18, 10:29 AM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Yea
Rules are rules ....except....

Old 07-01-18, 12:25 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by bogydave
Yea
Rules are rules ....except....

Agree, people love him and hate him so that is good for any sport. They will tip toe through this....the UCI I am speaking of.
Old 07-01-18, 12:40 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
The fact that sports bodies have turned their disciplinary matters into the equivalent of a death penalty trial is a joke, in all sports. Make an expedient decision and stick with it. In sporting matters, if one has to prepare a defense and present evidence as to their innocence, they more than likely deserve the punishment.

And as an athlete, you and your team doctors know what is banned. I have little sympathy for you should you choose to ingest those substances.
Old 07-01-18, 12:51 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
All rules have work-arounds and the team that exploits these to the maximum extent has a real advantage. Pro cyclists (perhaps all pro athletes) see the stigma of dishonorable behaviour as secondary to winning.

I've followed the TDF for over 40 years and I have to say that I was contemplating skipping it this year after the Froome Giro controversy. If this elimination sticks, I may change my mind, though.
Old 07-01-18, 01:26 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,981 Times in 1,775 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Froome deserves a BAN.
Loss of Vuelta and Giro titles.
Pro cycling has zero credibility with this matter unaddressed since Sept 2017.

Old 07-01-18, 01:37 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
In terms of a performance boost, what does twice the amount of that asthma drug do that the maximum permissible amount doesn't do?
Old 07-01-18, 02:13 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
From shows I've watched on it not really a performance enhancing drug. Unless you consider people with asthma able to breathe better cheating.

Old 07-01-18, 02:16 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
In terms of a performance boost, what does twice the amount of that asthma drug do that the maximum permissible amount doesn't do?
I would say this...

4 TdF wins
1 Giro d'Italia win
1 Vuelta a España win
Critérium du Dauphiné wins
2 Tour de Romandie wins

Old 07-01-18, 02:18 PM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
I'll say here for the record, that Froome will ride the TdF this year - good, bad, or indifferent as it may be to various individuals.
Old 07-01-18, 02:35 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Better articles:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/aso-...our-de-france/
Tour de France organiser to block Chris Froome from racing - Cycling Weekly

Rule #28 is what they're invoking...appeal on July 3rd.
Old 07-01-18, 03:08 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
The 'ol asthma spray. At least he didn't give the saddle sore cream excuse.
Old 07-01-18, 03:17 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Originally Posted by Lazyass
The 'ol asthma spray. At least he didn't give the saddle sore cream excuse.

I thought "tainted beef" was a pretty good one. Always called Contador "Old Steak Face" after that one.
Old 07-01-18, 03:18 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I bet he rides.
Old 07-01-18, 03:30 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Originally Posted by exmechanic89
I bet he rides.
Given the grounds the ASO has cited of "Rule #28.1":

"A.S.O. believes it is vital to preserve its image and reputation, as well as those of the event. In compliance with article 2.2.010 bis lines 7 and 8 of the UCI governing cycling sports, A.S.O. expressly reserves the right to refuse the participation in – or disqualify from – the event, a team or one of its members whose presence is liable to damage the image or reputation of A.S.O. or those of the event.’"

ASO's product. ASO has it in their contracts that they can do it...I'm not sure why Sky is even bothering appealing to the French Olympic people....other than desperation.

If ASO wanted to play hardball it says right there they can forbid not only Froome, but all of Sky as well from riding.
Old 07-01-18, 03:41 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
They want to ban performance enhancing drugs.
not performance enhancing money. $$$

Am betting on it comes down to the $$$, .... not the crime.
If the math works out, that Froome riding in the TdF brings in more $$$, He rides.

Talk the talk .........
Old 07-01-18, 06:18 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by bogydave
They want to ban performance enhancing drugs.
not performance enhancing money. $$$

Am betting on it comes down to the $$$, .... not the crime.
If the math works out, that Froome riding in the TdF brings in more $$$, He rides.

Talk the talk .........
I don't think keeping Froome out will hurt them. Most outside of the UK seem to be against him and his "asthma spray" claim, and the TDF has been a snooze fest the last few years. Froome isn't much more exciting than Indurain.
Old 07-01-18, 06:21 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,587 Times in 3,777 Posts
Thread moved from General Cycling Discussion forum to Pro Racing for the Fans forum.
Old 07-01-18, 06:22 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,587 Times in 3,777 Posts
Thread title fixed.
Old 07-01-18, 06:30 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
And as an athlete, you and your team doctors know what is banned. I have little sympathy for you should you choose to ingest those substances.
The issue with Froome, as I understand it, is whether his use of the medication was legitimate to control his asthma or excessive to enhance performance.

I doubt this can be easily resolved.
Old 07-01-18, 06:33 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The issue with Froome, as I understand it, is whether his use of the medication was legitimate to control his asthma or excessive to enhance performance.

It would seem pretty cut and dry...he had 2X the allowed maximum limit of that drug in his system. Limits are limits, unless they don't apply to TdF winners when convenient.
Old 07-01-18, 06:51 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson

Eh, I hate TUEs. The point of athletic competition is to see whose body can perform a physical exercise the best. If you need a drug deemed to be performance enhancing, you shouldn't be competing, if it isn't performance enhancing, it shouldn't be on the list.

In any case, as I understand it, he significantly exceeded limits. If you have a TUE, you should be smart enough to be triple careful.
Old 07-01-18, 06:54 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by Lazyass
I don't think keeping Froome out will hurt them. Most outside of the UK seem to be against him and his "asthma spray" claim, and the TDF has been a snooze fest the last few years. Froome isn't much more exciting than Indurain.
Not to mention, who wants towatch an event being won by someone who will be likely stricken from the record books? We've lost nearly a decade of winners between Lance, Landis and Contador, not to mention whatever records are stripped from Froome, who wants to wantch an event they know will be stricken from records?
Old 07-01-18, 07:29 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
If you need a drug deemed to be performance enhancing, you shouldn't be competing, if it isn't performance enhancing, it shouldn't be on the list.
Hey! No common sense allowed!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.