Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Open U.P. Experiences and Reviews?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-19, 09:24 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts

I'm giving serious consideration to an Open U.P. frameset but I haven't seen any real reviews other than the usual new product intro promotion pieces. The concept of the U.P. sounds enticing and using 650b to get to a wide tire when needed makes a lot of sense to me.

Does anyone have experience with an Open U.P.? What do you think? Does it work well for gnarly gravel and stream crossings? Or is it more "civilized" road oriented? Do all the clearances work well with Di2 front derailleurs? Is it reliable? Have you needed customer service? (And if you have, how was it?)
Old 03-23-19, 06:27 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 117 Posts
The bicycle quarterly review in issue 59 was fairly comprehensive if you can track down an issue.

I’ve ridden with quite a few racers that ride them and they’ve all been extremely happy with everything about the bike. Probably some bias for sure but I’m sure some actual owners will weigh in here shortly.
Old 03-24-19, 11:20 AM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
What happened to the Warbird?
Old 03-24-19, 11:53 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
This guy has an Open UP and a number of videos about it. Nicely made videos. Total weight weenie.

https://www.youtube.com/user/phpchii
Old 03-24-19, 12:07 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
I was just about to get a u.p.p.e.r when my current Parlee fell into my lap too cheap to pass up. I'd ridden the upper and it's very nice and I'm kinda still joensing for one because of the tire clearance it has over my Parlee... otherwise the Parlee has been great. Only drawback I can think of is limited to 50t big ring in front.. just in case you use it for road service.
Old 03-24-19, 03:06 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by gus6464
ETA on the Warbird frameset went from March 20, to early May, to late May, to indeterminate. So, we're looking at Plan B.
Old 03-24-19, 04:06 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
ETA on the Warbird frameset went from March 20, to early May, to late May, to indeterminate. So, we're looking at Plan B.
Geez, you just can't catch a break. Spending money shouldn't be so difficult.
Old 03-24-19, 05:09 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
This guy has an Open UP and a number of videos about it. Nicely made videos. Total weight weenie.

https://www.youtube.com/user/phpchii

the frame got totaled and he had to get a replacement, sub 900g gravel frame is not a good idea. Also they do not disclose which factory in China is manufacturing the frame, QC might be an issue
Old 03-24-19, 06:18 PM
Planemaker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
For that price, have you looked into titanium?

I love my litespeed titanium gravel bike.
Old 03-24-19, 07:07 PM
gus6464

Originally Posted by Chi_Z
the frame got totaled and he had to get a replacement, sub 900g gravel frame is not a good idea. Also they do not disclose which factory in China is manufacturing the frame, QC might be an issue
Yeah he totalled it by getting hit by a car. How is QC relevant in that scenario?
Old 03-24-19, 07:09 PM
gus6464

Ahh. Well it's the founders of Cervelo behind the Open so I'm pretty sure it's coming from the same factory that makes Cervelos.

Does your shop also carry Ibis? The Hakka MX might be another option.
Old 03-25-19, 08:15 PM
gravelslider

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gus6464
They tried to copy the Open...
Old 03-25-19, 08:29 PM
gravelslider

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'm giving serious consideration to an Open U.P. frameset but I haven't seen any real reviews other than the usual new product intro promotion pieces. The concept of the U.P. sounds enticing and using 650b to get to a wide tire when needed makes a lot of sense to me.

Does anyone have experience with an Open U.P.? What do you think? Does it work well for gnarly gravel and stream crossings? Or is it more "civilized" road oriented? Do all the clearances work well with Di2 front derailleurs? Is it reliable? Have you needed customer service? (And if you have, how was it?)
Wow is it worth the money. I love mine and have used it as a mountain bike on single track and as a fast endurance road bike. It is really fast. It is extremely comfortable and stable. The most efficient power transfer I have ever experienced on any bike and you can ride it happily on really rough stuff all day. Vroomen left Cervelo, is part owner of 3T and designed the Open. It truly is a great do all bike for anything short of heavy MTB. On single track it is so light that it makes biking a completely different experience. It eats Gravel roads for lunch and is a no comprimize fast road bike as long as you have the right tires and wheels on it. No problem with Di2. I am actually not riding my MTB any more and this is my bike of choice for distance road rides. There simply is nothing better for gravel. My only complaint is that it does not have fender or rack mounts and I'd prefer 5 -10mm more stack, but a few spacers cures that. I had one built to my spec at SweetWater Bikes near Pittsburgh and they did an outstanding job helping me pick the best components for it. It is also quite beautiful!
Old 03-26-19, 08:01 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Wow is it worth the money. I love mine and have used it as a mountain bike on single track and as a fast endurance road bike. It is really fast. It is extremely comfortable and stable. The most efficient power transfer I have ever experienced on any bike and you can ride it happily on really rough stuff all day. Vroomen left Cervelo, is part owner of 3T and designed the Open. It truly is a great do all bike for anything short of heavy MTB. On single track it is so light that it makes biking a completely different experience. It eats Gravel roads for lunch and is a no comprimize fast road bike as long as you have the right tires and wheels on it. No problem with Di2. I am actually not riding my MTB any more and this is my bike of choice for distance road rides. There simply is nothing better for gravel. My only complaint is that it does not have fender or rack mounts and I'd prefer 5 -10mm more stack, but a few spacers cures that. I had one built to my spec at SweetWater Bikes near Pittsburgh and they did an outstanding job helping me pick the best components for it. It is also quite beautiful!
Describes my experience perfectly on the Canyon Inflite. I was cross shopping the two, but kinda hard to get a test ride on the UP. Isn't it crazy going on mountain bike trails on such a light bike? I love it - climbing is such a breeze, its hard to get back on my mountain bike unless I need suspension. That and taking it on hard road rides in the 25-30mph (average) speed range with road tires. Its great to have such a versatile bike.
Old 03-27-19, 07:47 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by gravelslider
They tried to copy the Open...
Why is that? The warbird isn't exactly an athletic bike. Its a bit sedate in comparison to the UP.
Maybe you meant the 650b Warroad?

According to Guitar Ted, the Warroad: "...features short chain stays, a stiffer bottom bracket, and this results in the "squirt" feel that roadie-type gravel racers like to feel when they stomp on the pedals. "

the warbird doesn't jump hard. The UP I expect does.