Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Panniers on a Dahon Mariner D8?

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 05-11-19, 09:45 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am going to be in Canada for a month or more before my trip in August, not for riding but spending time with my family fishing and boating. That is going to be needed time to get some rides in also and I want to trim down what I have for riding. I could take my LHT, but its a big bike. So I ordered a Dahon Mariner D8 - 20" folder to save space. I've wanted a folding bike for a long time anyway. Based on some reviews it seems like a good choice - and has 8 gears to increase the gear selection/range. I am not sure the "range" is going to be what I want, but I won't know until I get it and ride it a while to see where I want the gear inches to fall. I will tweak later if necessary...

On to my question - the rack it comes with doesn't appear to be conducive to side panniers. It looks like it is made to strap stuff on top.

Does anyone have any thoughts on getting side panniers on it? Or maybe another rack that will work on that frame?

I got a set of Ortlieb Packer Plus panniers (front and rear) for my LHT. I want to get 2 of them on the Dahon - probably the fronts of the set - so I can do some day touring while I'm in Canada.

The top bars of the rack on the Dahon look like I can clip the Ortliebs on to, but there is no tab or bar on the bottom for the other part of the pannier mount. I may be able to come up with something... just curious here if anyone has done this before? Not necessarily specifically the Mariner model, but any compact bike that has a similar rack style?

https://dahon.com/bikes/mariner-d8-3/
Old 05-11-19, 12:23 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 6838 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 180 Posts
Don't own 1 so I look it up ..

generally the issue is Heel strike as you pedal & yea it looks kind of low ..

Rather than panniers consider standing up a backpack on top of that rack & secure it stabilized with a little cross bar
behind the saddle ..

you do have the block on the head tube .. they let you fit a bag on the front .. Klickfix has bag mounts ...
Dahon Bags and Luggage has dahon adapters ..

back pack arrangement example :

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-11-19 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-11-19, 12:44 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: 1980 Mike Melton, 1982 Stumpjumper, 1982 Santana, 1984 Alex Moulton AM, 2008 BikeFriday tikit T-11, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i5, 2019 Surly ˝DT14

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 36 Posts
You can of course use traditional saddlebags and/or bikepacking bags with these bikes without any racks. Since you already own the Ortlieb panniers, though, you'll want the Dahon Ultimate Carrier:

or the Dahon Traveler rear rack:

Dahon also offers a purpose-built front rack that attaches directly to the headtube. This would hold a dry bag, tent, pad, a Carradice-style saddlebag, etc.

For small front panniers there's the Biologic Spartan front rack:

I Googled dahon+touring and got a zillion pictures of these bikes loaded up.
Old 05-11-19, 04:51 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
If you want a rack that you can also fold up smaller when you fold the bike for transport, RackTime makes a FoldIt Adjustable rack. Two versions, one version (the Adjustable) has a base plate that bolts to the frame at the bottom and the side pieces of the rack bolt to that base plate. Thus, it is highly portable when the rack is disassembled.
https://www.racktime.com/en/racktime...it-adjustable/

You think with a small wheel that you want a short rack but a rack that is too short can also mean your pannier sits too low, possibly interfering with your rear derailleur. Thus, your rack might have to be much higher than you would otherwise expect. That RackTime rack is adjustable for height within reason based on which holes you used in that bottom base plate.
https://www.racktime.com/fileadmin/u...MA_2.0_web.pdf

You would likely need the extra long pieces (order them separately) that attach to chainstays. In the photo I have the rack set at the highest setting, I could lower it maybe an inch or so.

I used those long seat stay pieces (I do not recall length or cost) on my FoldIt in the photo. This is on an Airnimal bike with 24 inch wheel. I probably should have cut the seat stay pieces by a bit to make the rack level but at the time I was too lazy to do that.

Old 05-12-19, 05:03 PM
KC8QVO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the ideas.

I did some looking in to the Ortlieb panniers. The hook on the bottom looks like it can rotate 360deg so I should be able to hook it to the vertical supports. I will try it when I get everything together and see what happens. I don't have access to either the bike or panniers yet - maybe a week from tomorrow or so, we'll see.

I also wasn't aware that the panniers have adapter shims for various sizes of rack tubing/bars. That is a good feature. They are a lot more adjustable than I anticipated it seems.

For what it is worth, there is a picture here in the below article of a guy with a loaded down Mariner with Ortlieb panniers. So I think I'm in luck.
https://www.bikecommuters.com/2014/0...dahon-mariner/
Old 05-13-19, 01:12 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 6838 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 180 Posts
If the bottom hook wont meet up you can buy whole hook rails and relocate it ro where ir will..

there are bits to fill in unused holes too..
Old 05-16-19, 11:49 AM
KC8QVO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think Im set.

I havent rode with the panniers, but they do work on the rack.
Old 05-17-19, 11:47 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: 1980 Mike Melton, 1982 Stumpjumper, 1982 Santana, 1984 Alex Moulton AM, 2008 BikeFriday tikit T-11, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i5, 2019 Surly ˝DT14

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO View Post
I havent rode with the panniers...
Check for heel strike; otherwise, lookin' good.
Old 05-17-19, 04:49 PM
KC8QVO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs View Post
Check for heel strike; otherwise, lookin' good.
Yep. I have placement options so I am good there. I can put the hooks in a couple different places on the top rack tube between and around the upright supports.
Old 05-21-19, 05:28 AM
staehpj1 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Some things to consider... Not all of this may apply to you, but I found the following:
  1. I found that the long masts made my Dahon Helios less pleasant to ride for much more than than shortish rides on flat-ish ground relatively unloaded. Other folders I tried all suffered from that flaw.
  2. In my boat (30' Alberg Sailboat) I actually found that I could just as easily put my full size road bike in the seat locker as long as I took the wheels off. So I usually just took a full size bike.
  3. The Helios didn't easily fit in the seat locker in the normal folded state. It was slightly wider than the locker opening and required removing a pedal (folding the pedal wasn't enough).
  4. The Helios did fit nicely in other places in the boat, but I liked having the bike in the seat locker.
  5. The folder was nicer to carry in the dinghy which was nice since we usually anchored out.
  6. I like the folder for taking along on air travel where I might do some short rides, but didn't use it enough in that capacity.
  7. I loaned it to a friend who had a 1 years teaching gig in Spain and I think it worked out well for her. That is unless she just wanted to appear grateful to me for the loan. I think she admitted it still cost her a bundle in baggage fees over the course of her time in Europe. I suspect she might have been better off to just buy a bike there and sell it or give it away if she couldn't before coming home. I think there may have even been a loaner bike program in the city where she was for much of her time there.
  8. I definitely wouldn't tour on my Dahon with much stuff. Maybe ultra light short distances per day easy riding, but I don't know if I'd choose it for even that unless there was some very special reason to do so.

Last edited by staehpj1; 05-21-19 at 05:31 AM.
Old 05-21-19, 10:59 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'm not recommending completely loading up your Dahon, but I got into a jam the other weekend when I started to prep my touring bike for a camping weekend, only to find that the frame was damaged, and I wouldn't be able to use it. My Downtube is very similar to Dahon, and I managed to transfer my gear over to that bike and make the trip.

Ortleib panniers are highly adjustable, and I was able to put my Front-Roller/Sport-Roller/Whatever-they-are-called-today set on the rear rack and shift them far enough back to avoid heel strike. In the past I have been able to use a seat-post-mounted rack that I could move up higher so that heel strike was not an issue, but there's a weight limit on those, and this was not a trip for weight limits.

In the front I used a KlickFix bag and mount to put the bag directly on the steerer tube, and I also used a Revelate Saltyroll and harness on the handlebars.

Again, not the bike I would have chosen for this load, but it actually handled everything surprisingly well. There are definitely some options if you need to carry some stuff on your Dahon.