Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

2.8” Tire Removal

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

2.8” Tire Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-19, 03:19 PM
KenCT

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2021) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 105 Posts
2.8” Tire Removal

I have a Cannondale Cujo 2 with stock WTB rims and 2.8” tires. I’m upgrading the tires to tubeless but cannot get the original tires off the rim.

If I roll the tire, with a lot of force, I can see a space between the rim and bead but am unable to get a tire lever in the space.

Any tips or is there a special tool for this size tire? I’ve changed many tires on road and other bikes and never had an issue removing tires before, this is my first time working on a mid fat tire.
Old 05-21-19, 07:19 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Do you have the tube valve core removed and the beads on both sides of the tire fully broken from their seat on the rim?

2.8" is getting wide enough you may have to stand on the tire to get the bead to unseat. With a properly supported rim, of course.

Once that is done, it should be easier to get one side of the bead into the drop center of the rim to allow you to get the opposite side of the bead to come over the rim.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 05-26-19, 06:05 AM
KenCT

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2021) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 105 Posts
Solved

I tried stepping on it and rolling by hand, no luck.Ended up using an old bed slat to push the tire bead off the rim.

Likes For KenCT:
Old 05-26-19, 09:03 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
I like that technique. Putting it in my memory banks.
Old 05-27-19, 07:52 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
not particularly related, but sort of--Pedros tire levers are exceedingly tough, and while there is a larger "pry off doohicky" Ive seen photos of, these pedros levers are still smallish, but a heck of alot tougher than regular tire levers, and still packable in a seat bag or whatever.

if ever you see them at a store, they are worth the price of an icecream and coffee or whatever to have around.
I carry "regular ones" in my repair kit on bikes, but once in a blue moon, I use these at home with a difficult tire/rim combo that could perhaps break my smaller ones.
Likes For djb:
Old 05-27-19, 08:07 AM
2old

Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 620 Posts
+1 on the Pedro's levers. My wife's bike has a tire/rim combination that is difficult (to say the least) to repair a flat on the trail (fortunately only happened once). Doubt that I could get the tire completely off the rim on the trail if I needed to. Make sure you're prepared for a flat away from home.