Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-10, 08:08 PM
peterlonz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think they expect that you will dry the chain quickly with shop air or in the hot sun.
An alternative drying method would be to put the chain in a bottle of meths & shake around; all alcohols will tend to bind with water & you can reuse the meths several times.
I don't use this approach myself because for $2 per aerosol I can buy solvent based degreaser, one can will effectively allow me to clean the chain & all gears.
I try to be careful to avoid contact with the tyres & collect most of the solvent that drips off. Some I reuse applying with a small paintbrush to stubborn areas.
Good luck
Peter O
Old 04-27-10, 06:38 PM
dr1445

Bikes: jamis 2002 komodo, univega aplina uno, miele toscana 300, 1972 puch brigadier, Marin Sausalito

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
summer rides

here's my summer rides for land and water. i found a craigs list trek 3700 and a broken frame trek 8500. the 3700 now has hydraulic discs, 9 speeds. city tires and much deore stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
102_0419..jpg (100.7 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg
102_0423..jpg (99.1 KB, 128 views)
Old 05-03-10, 07:02 AM
Rocky1405
Hey, I AM peddling!

Bikes: Dahon Espresso 26" and Raleigh Passage 4.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yesterday I broke a rear spoke when I hit a small chuckhole on my daily ride. I was really bummed about it until I realized how very lucky I am to be healthy enough to be out riding hard enough at age 67 so I CAN break a spoke!! I have several good pals who have trouble walking up one flight of stairs and one who can't even get out of bed by himself so a broken spoke in the big picture is really pretty small potatoes! I got it fixed and have to remember to keep checking those tire pressures and spoke tensions so I don't break another one. Keep peddling Guys and Gals KEEP PEDDLING!!
And, I AM standing up!!
Rocky
Old 05-05-10, 06:06 PM
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocky1405
Yesterday I broke a rear spoke when I hit a small chuckhole on my daily ride. I was really bummed about it until I realized how very lucky I am to be healthy enough to be out riding hard enough at age 67 so I CAN break a spoke!! I have several good pals who have trouble walking up one flight of stairs and one who can't even get out of bed by himself so a broken spoke in the big picture is really pretty small potatoes! I got it fixed and have to remember to keep checking those tire pressures and spoke tensions so I don't break another one. Keep peddling Guys and Gals KEEP PEDDLING!!
And, I AM standing up!!
Rocky
I agree, that's the way to look at things. Life is to short and health too fragile to sweat the small stuff. My mom used to say "each day when you get up and everything works good, that's a miracle". I have come to know that statement for the truth it is. Last Jan. 5th after my ride I felt kinda crummy. Next day I thought I had the flu. Some really bad sinus headaches got me to the ENT doctor and resulted in sinus surgery. But my flu like symptoms continued, and got worse. to make a long story short, my thyroid level had dropped and once we got it up again my extreme fatigue went away. I was able to ride again after being out of commission for 109 days. From taking a silver metal in the Tour De Tucson's 109 mile race to utter fatigue in just a day and from a tiny gland in the neck. Who would have thunk it. So I went out and got a new Felt AR4 carbon with Mavic super-light Premium wheels. I figure I may as well enjoy it while I can, and I will try very hard to not sweat the small stuff.
Old 05-06-10, 04:38 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Intro, Warning, long & boring!!

Wow, I found a home....

I am a newbie coming back..Never was real good at biccyling, but I love the exercise. My son gave me used 70ish Raleigh Competition GS, way back in 1982. I ride it every now and then. However, the old man got married recently.. Oh yeah, and my wife is 23 years my junior!
I am an exercise freak. I workout at the gym 6 days a week.

I luckingly found a mate for my old Raleigh. A used Schwinn Traveler for the wifee!! It is the shop getting tune, and as soon as it comes out, me and the wifee are going riding!!

BTW, you can see I am coming back on the cheap too!!

This thread is great.
People 65 and over usually get discriminated over.
I got a big yap too..
Old 05-06-10, 04:46 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Intro, Warning, long & boring!!

Wow, I found a home....

I am a newbie coming back..Never was real good at biccyling, but I love the exercise. My son gave me used 70ish Raleigh Competition GS, way back in 1982. I ride it every now and then. However, the old man got married recently.. Oh yeah, and my wife is 23 years my junior!
I am an exercise freak. I workout at the gym 6 days a week.

I luckingly found a mate for my old Raleigh. A used Schwinn Traveler for the wifee!! It is the shop getting tune, and as soon as it comes out, me and the wifee are going riding!!

BTW, you can see I am coming back on the cheap too!!

This thread is great.
People 65 and over usually get discriminated over.
I got a big yap too..

Here is my Raleigh, will post a pic of the Schwinn as soon as it comes out the shop.

Old 05-06-10, 05:56 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome - good thing your bike isn't any longer!!

Pretty soon, you will looking for that n+1 bike.

Glad you like the 65+ forum. We range up to about 80 years old.
Old 05-06-10, 06:27 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome Howard, glad to see you here and keep us up to date on your riding, POST
Old 05-06-10, 06:30 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Welcome - good thing your bike isn't any longer!!

Pretty soon, you will looking for that n+1 bike.

Glad you like the 65+ forum. We range up to about 80 years old.
80 years old!!! Now, at 69 that makes me feel like a youngster!!

That was my old 6x14 trailer..Moved up to a 7x14, gave me another foot!!
Life is dam sweet.

Let me warn you all, I got a big yap..
Old 05-06-10, 06:34 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Burr
Welcome Howard, glad to see you here and keep us up to date on your riding, POST
Thanks much, I can tell that this is going to be fun. And as we all know, or should know, we only going around this thing one time!!
Old 05-06-10, 06:52 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Howard, if we don't like what you say we just don't read you!!
Old 05-07-10, 02:32 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Howard, if we don't like what you say we just don't read you!!
Cool Burr...

BTW, I am a liberal...
Old 05-07-10, 06:08 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cehowardGS
Cool Burr...

BTW, I am a liberal...
You live in Kansas?
Old 05-07-10, 06:32 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
You live in Kansas?
Nope!
Old 05-08-10, 08:34 PM
mexipat

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a liberal, too, but it doesn't matter as this group is about bikes, not politics. My bike ia willing to go to the right as well as the left.
Old 05-09-10, 07:13 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mexipat
I'm a liberal, too, but it doesn't matter as this group is about bikes, not politics. My bike ia willing to go to the right as well as the left.
Can't be said or put any better!

They say that "wisdom only comes with age"..tis the truth too..
Old 05-09-10, 04:40 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
This is the bike I got for the wife. Picked it up for $25 at a thrift shop. Paid little over $50 at LBS to get it tuned .

Schwinn Traveler.

Old 05-10-10, 02:41 PM
bluteswagon
old un

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
apr 30 turned 67 did 100 mi on the heritage trail in york pa next week woll be in altoona a t canoe creek to ride that area this is a gift i also do 5 days a week in a local gym got to keep gping got friends carrying oxygen tanks they wouldnt quit smoking enjoy that cigaret now
Old 05-10-10, 04:15 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bluteswagon, Haven't had a cig. in 20 years (from 3 packs). I lift three days and ride three days.

Do Or Die.
Old 05-13-10, 12:18 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Bluteswagon, Haven't had a cig. in 20 years (from 3 packs). I lift three days and ride three days.

Do Or Die.
That is all the RIGHT MOVES rolled into one. Some people don't realize how HARD it is to quit smoking. I got lucky. In addition, a lot of people don't realize how you benifit when you stop smoking. I quit some 20 years ago too. My health went up 400%. Your 6 day routine is on the money too.
Old 05-17-10, 11:10 AM
aquist

Bikes: Cannondale,Trek, Raleigh, Univega, Schwinn Panther, Peugot course, Benotto, many others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ted threads after logging in only to be told i can't post so I am pissed with your bike site go jump in the lake I am not typing it all over again
Old 05-17-10, 05:12 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aquist
ted threads after logging in only to be told i can't post so I am pissed with your bike site go jump in the lake I am not typing it all over again
So how did you post thisnFool?
Old 05-18-10, 06:52 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bluteswagon
apr 30 turned 67 did 100 mi on the heritage trail in york pa next week woll be in altoona a t canoe creek to ride that area this is a gift i also do 5 days a week in a local gym got to keep gping got friends carrying oxygen tanks they wouldnt quit smoking enjoy that cigaret now
gotta give you big props...

As we BOTH know, that gym and/or working out is the key to longitivity. Not only that, if you got a rush for young actions, like we both have, we got to keep the body up to par to do what our minds want..

When I grow up, I want to be just like you!!!
Old 05-18-10, 02:33 PM
aquist

Bikes: Cannondale,Trek, Raleigh, Univega, Schwinn Panther, Peugot course, Benotto, many others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i had two hobbies that intersected. ww2 reenacting and cycling. the Brits the Germans and to a lesser extent the US Army used bicycles in ww2, so I have 3 bikes outfitted like that, actually several German Wehrmacht fahrraden, there is a group of reenactors who are into bikes, cant think of tieir url right now tho. I have ridden German bikes at reenactments. and there are usually several parked around the encampment of each German unit. Swiss bikes are used as well as many European bikes as the Germans tended to steal the locals bikes, Oh excuse me commandeer. appropriate whatever. Martin Caiden wrote a book about bicycles at war. I remember reading a chapter about a Doctor escaping the German assault in the Ardennes(the battle of the bulge) on a bike, He later became the head of the L.A.W. League of American Wheelmen. A spy on the French side carried documents in his handlebars claiming to be on a training ride. The Germans never had a clue.
Old 05-18-10, 03:51 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by aquist
i had two hobbies that intersected. ww2 reenacting and cycling. the Brits the Germans and to a lesser extent the US Army used bicycles in ww2, so I have 3 bikes outfitted like that, actually several German Wehrmacht fahrraden, there is a group of reenactors who are into bikes, cant think of tieir url right now tho. I have ridden German bikes at reenactments. and there are usually several parked around the encampment of each German unit. Swiss bikes are used as well as many European bikes as the Germans tended to steal the locals bikes, Oh excuse me commandeer. appropriate whatever. Martin Caiden wrote a book about bicycles at war. I remember reading a chapter about a Doctor escaping the German assault in the Ardennes(the battle of the bulge) on a bike, He later became the head of the L.A.W. League of American Wheelmen. A spy on the French side carried documents in his handlebars claiming to be on a training ride. The Germans never had a clue.
That's great stuff. Not into reactments, but I like following the events of WW2. The Battle of the Bulge, and Midway, IMO were classic battles, and the world will never seen anything like them again..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.