Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

First Century

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

First Century

Old 11-21-10, 05:12 PM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First Century

I completed my first century yesterday, the 109 mile Tour de Tucson. Here is the Garmin Connect record of my ride.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/57514856

My strategy for the ride was to stay in zone 3 for the bulk of the ride, only letting my heart rate go up significantly on the hills. I stuck with that strategy... for about 60 seconds. When everyone took off like banshees, I stayed with groups that were moving pretty fast. I just couldn't resist. I did the first 4 hours averaging 19 mph, then slowed dramatically as we passed the 80 mile mark and headed straight into winds of 20 mph, gusting to 30. Groups really broke up in that (as people stopped at aid stations), and it was hard for me to find any help breaking the wind. So I plodded along, stopping at the aid stations for food, water refills, and to just rest my legs. I never bonked or cramped up, I just grew fatigued, lost strength in my legs, and slowed down. Average moving speed for the ride was 17.6 mph. Elapsed time was 7:13. I was passed by a lot of riders as I faded. Had I maintained my strategy, I would have been stronger at the end, and probably had a better elapsed time due to fewer stops, but I believe I still would have faded. And I wouldn't have had as much fun, as I would have missed the 25-30 mph pace-lines. I just need more long distance training, as my weekend club rides are in the 45-60 mile range.

The Tucson event is amazingly well run. They maintain a controlled but not overbearing sort of discipline that can only be achieved by having folks work it (and ride it) year after year. With close to 9,000 riders, 'stuff' going to happen. There will be accidents. But they minimize problems by providing advance materials, briefings at the convention center expo where you pick up your packets, and by having people provide tips and relate their personal experiences.

I lined up before 4:00am for the 7:00 start, wearing a 'throwaway' jacket I had picked up at Goodwill. They start your time at 7:00, no matter how far back you are, so folks line up early. No big deal, really, since I was out of town, alone, and had gone to bed at about 7:00pm. By 5:30, music was blaring, the MCs were going, and things were revving up. There were folks around me from all over the world: Japan, South Africa, you name it. Greg LeMond was there on the bridge over the starting line. Throughout the race, we were cheered on by folks at almost every intersection - people living on the route would be sitting there providing encouragement, which was very welcome. Well, all except the older woman who told us, after the 80 mile mark, that we were "half way there". NOT funny! Well, actually, it was. I laughed.

All-in-all a long, hard ride, and one I enjoyed immensely. Especially when it was over. I survived the start, the fast tightly packed groups, a couple of downed riders a little bit in front, and a dropped water bottle that I nailed with my front tire, smashing it flat without going down, bending my rim, or getting a pinch flat.

I'll definitely do it again!
Old 11-21-10, 06:35 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
It sounds like ya done good. Next time, pack a big energy drink (Rock Star, Monster, etc) and at the 80 mile rest stop, use the whole can to wash down a Gu or two. The explosion of caffeine and sugar will super-fortify you for the remaining miles. (note: don't do this if you have a heart condition or diabetes!)
Old 11-21-10, 06:40 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Congratulations! Good for you! I was in Phoenix and thought about staying over to do the ride but I had a really rough week.

I did it a couple years ago and also found the last 20 down Silverbell challenging.

I was not a big fan of having to get off the bike and hoofing it through the washes twice though.

I did enjoy the nice run down Tangerine in groups-should have saved a little there for Silverbell.
Old 11-21-10, 06:42 PM
doctor j

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Congratulations on your first century. Well done!

Those head winds during the final portion of a long ride will really drain you. Apparently, you were mentally and physically prepared for the challenge.
Old 11-21-10, 06:50 PM
Louis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Way to go AZ!
Old 11-21-10, 07:00 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations on your first century! You must feel very satisfied.
Old 11-21-10, 07:00 PM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good job and thanks for sharing your first century.
Old 11-21-10, 07:09 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lining up at 4am for a 7am start? Why would anyone do that? Who cares, keep your own time! Congrats on your first century. It seems you've been ready for a while.
Old 11-21-10, 08:01 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Way to go!
Old 11-21-10, 09:44 PM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Everyone...

The main reason folks line up so early is that, if you finish within 5 hours of the starting gun, then you are given "Platinum" status, granting you entrance to the front start area, which lets you sleep in. To have any hope of making that time, you need to start directly behind the Platinum riders. I did it because it turned out to be convenient for me, and I wanted to see what it was like... to get the whole experience. It was fun hanging around chatting with folks, and with a coat, I was plenty warm. If I wasn't there, I would have just been obsessing in my hotel room.
Old 11-22-10, 10:55 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Those early starts are a bummer. Doesn't matter what time it is though- you still have to be there. Done 6am rides in which the Tandem has to be assembled before hand so that would mean leaving the hotel by 4.30 and getting to the venue by 5.

But the London to Brighton has staggered starts which are "Pre-Booked" Earliest start is 6 am and that is the best time for any grade of rider. From 7am onwards you will be slowed down with the sheer numbers on the hills and an 8am start means you will be walking those hills due to no room left from the walkers. 9 am start and you will even be walking the slopes.

Good job on the ride. Although fitness will help in the last 20 miles- better pacing and energy food at around 70 miles would probably work better

Till you get the fitness to gain a "Platinum" status so you can get lazy with an extra couple of hours in bed. I love being lazy but I am afraid you will have to work for an easier time

Spike Milligan
Old 11-22-10, 12:32 PM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Because I don't normally drink them (so much sugar!), I just hadn't considered downing an energy drink. There were some aid station sponsors at the stations towards the end that probably had something like that, but I didn't try it. I was using a water bottle full of diluted Hammer Gel throughout the ride. I mixed in the total amount I thought I needed for the ride with enough water to fill the bottle. That was the equivalent of about 13 gel "servings": half of one of the big bottles of gel Hammer sells. But I used up most of it getting to the part where I needed the pick up. By that time, I had added water to fill my gel bottle back up, diluting the mixture. My bottle of plain water had bounced out of its holder on a rough stretch of pavement, and I needed the extra water. It wasn't hot, but the humidity was low. At that point I was also eating banana halves, watermelon, and orange slices from the stations, but that didn't really rev me back up. Live and learn.

One thing I learned the hard way is that the single biggest disadvantage to getting to the start so early is that your chamois butter is wasted, getting absorbed and rubbed away during those pre-race hours. I had thought of that, but didn't make any kind of throw away baggie of it to use just before the start. Seemed complicated at the time. I'm paying the price for that decision now... rubbed raw, I am. My butter is in a big jar. I'm going to have to get something I can stick in a jersery pocket for longer rides.
Old 11-22-10, 12:46 PM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Kudos! Getting that first one out of the way is the biggest challenge. Nice ride report.
Old 11-23-10, 05:23 AM
Bare Feet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations on your First Century Az!

Thanks for sharing the details of your ride. I enjoyed reading all about it. Sounds like you were awesome and had a great time!

btw, another BF 50+er, Rick T, posted in the 'Did you ride today thread' that he and his wife rode the Tour de Tucson also, on a tandem.

(hope you feel better soon)
Old 11-23-10, 11:55 AM
retnav94

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats! I have yet to do one, but am really looking forward to it. Not too many opportunities in my area I think, but the more I get into cycling the more I am willing to travel to find one. Thanks for the report.
Old 11-23-10, 01:40 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Great first Century, Awesome time for 109 miles.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 11-23-10, 02:06 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I rode my first century back in '78 so it's kind of difficult to remember anymore. Good to hear you've got your first century under your wheels!

My wife and I were driving on interstate 10 and saw lots of Tour de Tucson riders on the part of the course that parallels the freeway. Maybe even saw you! Looks like a great ride and several OCRR club members do it every year, so I should get around to it eventually.

Not many pace lines, and lot of individual riders, on the part that we saw, so maybe this was when you were riding into the headwind?

Regardless, congratulations on your first century and I may see you out there on Tour de Tucson one of these years. It's certainly closer than the Hotter-N-Hell (TX) that I rode this year!

Rick / OCRR
Old 11-23-10, 03:08 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I've ridden many centuries over the years, both on uprights, and for the past 13 years on recumbents; but I haven't needed chamois cream or butt butter/etc since I got rid of my shorts with the REAL chamois in them. What's the group consensus on creams? Are they needed or does over-reliance imply some other problem?

BTW, congrats on finishing the whole thing!
Old 11-23-10, 03:42 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Your first century at 17+ mph? 20 mph for 4 hours? Remind me not to join you for your second century! Congrats, tho.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 11-23-10, 03:49 PM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
Not many pace lines, and lot of individual riders, on the part that we saw, so maybe this was when you were riding into the headwind?

Regardless, congratulations on your first century and I may see you out there on Tour de Tucson one of these years. It's certainly closer than the Hotter-N-Hell (TX) that I rode this year!

Rick / OCRR
Yep. Exactly the area I was talking about. Amazing how the wind broke up the lines. Part of it was that you really don't want to be close to someone when they get blown sideways. The wind also made the speed erratic, which made the pacelines questionable. Then there was the need, of at least one guy, to stop at the side of the road and puke his guts out. I stopped about the same place to... umm... adjust my clothing.
Old 11-23-10, 03:59 PM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
What's the group consensus on creams? Are they needed or does over-reliance imply some other problem?
I was really skeptical. But I had also been skeptical about a bib, and it made a big difference, so I tried the cream. When I put the bibs on my buttered up body, I thought to myself "This is ludicrous! Being a wet slimey mess is going to help somehow?" But then I rode 50 miles, and felt better than I ever had at the end of the ride.

Go fugure.

I do agree that some of this stuff is to compensate for other issues. It has become clear to me that my saddle just isn't working for me. I get numb way too much. That sounds dumb, since getting numb at all isn't a good thing. Amazing what we accept. I've been nosing the saddle down as I've improved my fitness, but I still have numbness problems. I'm going to go a radically different direction from my Terry Fly, and try an Adamo.
Old 11-23-10, 04:03 PM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
Your first century at 17+ mph? 20 mph for 4 hours? Remind me not to join you for your second century! Congrats, tho.
Well, that's computer time, remember, which stops if take a break. It took me 7:13 to finish, which works out to 15 mph. Not that I'm declining the compliment - thanks!
Old 11-23-10, 04:05 PM
BikeNSail

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Motobecane CF Champion SRAM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
congratulations !

Originally Posted by AzTallRider
I completed my first century yesterday, the 109 mile Tour de Tucson. Here is the Garmin Connect record of my ride.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/57514856

My strategy for the ride was to stay in zone 3 for the bulk of the ride, only letting my heart rate go up significantly on the hills. I stuck with that strategy... for about 60 seconds. When everyone took off like banshees, I stayed with groups that were moving pretty fast. I just couldn't resist. I did the first 4 hours averaging 19 mph, then slowed dramatically as we passed the 80 mile mark
great report and congratulations...your story sounds a little like my 1st century a month or so ago...big plans to take it easy quickly out the window as I tried to stay with the lead group
Old 11-23-10, 04:30 PM
Pelotoner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

My father in law, who is 70, rode the 109 miler again this year and I have heard the winds were brutal. I have not been able to get the results page to load yet, but in know he finished.

Again thanks for sharing and maybe I will see you there next year.
Old 11-24-10, 04:40 PM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congrats AZTallRider. You beat me by 9 minutes. This was my 5th el Tour de Tucson, and it definitely had the most wind. I had a 17.5 average (computer) by the sag stop at Tangerine and I-10, but faded in the wind the rest of the way.

I was very impressed that John Howard had a time with the lead group, about 4:32.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.