Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Repair Sidi Ergo2 Techno2 wire buckle

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-18, 02:23 PM
marquhar

Bikes: 2008 Motobecane Immortal Force

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Sidi Tecno 2 Replacement Buckle Red/Black | Bikewagon.com

I have an 8 years old pair of sidi Ergo2 shoes. The techno2 wire buckle is failing to spool - there is ratcheting, but the wire will not grab and windup and it remains loose. Its only the right side and I can still ride with this fault condition.

From the link above I see I can get a replacement. I don't see how to get the old one off, or a way to disassemble the old one to clean it and get it working again.

Has anyone seen a video for this?

Any advice?
Old 01-26-18, 07:53 PM
marquhar

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
self-reply:

the replacement part has a pin in the red cover, when removed there is then an upper and lower part. They go above and below the white base layer, which is part of the shoe.

I still can't see why my buckle is stuck. The wire won't release out of the bottom of the ratchet like the other side. Perhaps its is broken inside the ratchet. The two buckles seem identical.

There is a way to hack some tension in the wire by binding it to the adjacent velcro strap. Going to try that till I see how to progress.
Old 01-29-18, 10:02 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
I'd ask, how much is your time worth? A few hours to get a buckle that's pretty much worn out back to working, with the likelihood that you'll have to re-work it again in a month or two, seems like replacing the buckle is the better approach.
Old 02-03-18, 02:06 PM
marquhar

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If you're lucky and the wire has broken close to the bottom knot, repair is possible. I did it.

The buckle works as long as the wire is intact above it. My wire broke about 5/8" from the bottom.

To fix it: (don't work with sharp metal tools, except to remove the pin)

take a tooth-pik and release the wire from side opposite the ratchet. Now the ratchet can bend back to give access to the bottom side.

remove the pin, then the red & white parts of the handle. Drop the crenelated ratchet out the bottom. Gently slide the broken wire section out, noting the slotted site.

take the intact wire and feed it into the non-slotted hole of the axial piece, bending it down out the bottom. Tying a knot is actually optional, but do it anyway.

reassemble in reverse order.

Congrats McGyver.