Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Fat Llama: Anyone in NYC renting out their bike?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-19, 12:04 PM
jimmysnapple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just came across Fat Llama, a peer to peer rental platform and wanted to know whether anyone has any experience with it? I used to make a decent bit of cash from Spinlister until they went bust so thinking of giving it a try.
Old 02-15-19, 07:59 AM
basketbro
-

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 15 Posts
if you trust random people on your bikes, you don't love your bikes enough.
Old 02-19-19, 04:43 PM
Chris(NJ)

Bikes: Aethos (inbound), Pivot LES -XX1, Ibis Hakka -Force1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I would never.
Old 02-19-19, 06:13 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Glad to see the two previous posts. I can't imagine renting out one of my current bikes. That said, if there is money to be made, I might consider buying some piece of junk specifically to rent it.
Old 02-22-19, 01:19 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
I don't get it? Why would anyone rent from a random stranger, when just about every bike shop has bikes for rent that you could at least be somewhat assured have been maintained to a serviceable degree?
Old 02-23-19, 03:13 PM
Stretch44

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I don't get it? Why would anyone rent from a random stranger, when just about every bike shop has bikes for rent that you could at least be somewhat assured have been maintained to a serviceable degree?
when i go to the Tampa area to visit my parents and want to rent a decent bike to ride it’s $90! Would love to rent a decent bike for a reasonable price.
Old 02-24-19, 11:20 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
I never would. I recently had to send my frame out for repair of the carbon chainstay. The repair was only $320 but then i had to completely strip the frame and ship it both ways. I don't think renting it to a stranger would ever be worth the risk.

Also would you allow a renter to change the fit? Get it back and find the saddle is moved up/down or tilted. Find cuts in your tires or scratches on the frame?

I just got back from Scottsdale and rented a Trek Domane SL w/ 105 for $75 for 24 hours.The bike was in good working order but i did ask for a torque wrench to go over some of the hardware and I did double check the QR and tire pressure. After all, I only trust my own mechanical skills on a bike that I can reach speeds of 40mph on the descents.
Old 02-24-19, 07:51 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
I never would. I recently had to send my frame out for repair of the carbon chainstay. The repair was only $320 but then i had to completely strip the frame and ship it both ways. I don't think renting it to a stranger would ever be worth the risk.

Also would you allow a renter to change the fit? Get it back and find the saddle is moved up/down or tilted. Find cuts in your tires or scratches on the frame?

I just got back from Scottsdale and rented a Trek Domane SL w/ 105 for $75 for 24 hours.The bike was in good working order but i did ask for a torque wrench to go over some of the hardware and I did double check the QR and tire pressure. After all, I only trust my own mechanical skills on a bike that I can reach speeds of 40mph on the descents.
I guess the $75/24hr formula is why folks try to do this. $2000 a month if you can rent it out daily.. nothing to it! Just get a low level CF 105 series bike at model-year end for ~$1500 and it will be paid for in the first month of renting it out.
Old 02-24-19, 08:28 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Hell no. Anyone doing this is probably renting Walmart bikes.
Old 02-24-19, 08:42 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I guess the $75/24hr formula is why folks try to do this. $2000 a month if you can rent it out daily.. nothing to it! Just get a low level CF 105 series bike at model-year end for ~$1500 and it will be paid for in the first month of renting it out.
Just get a 56cm since it's the most common. But that excludes many women and shorter men. Then you certainly can assume to rent it everyday, you'll be lucky to rent is 5-6 times a month. And then not during the colder months. And having to fix it from renter abuse.

And then deal with the emails, phone calls and other BS.

So unless you live near a very popular cycling trail.... it's a non starter.
Old 03-04-19, 03:37 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I remember what I went through when I rented a serious road bike, and I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end. Not that I was a PITA, just had questions. OTOH, when I rented bikes in Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Norway and Arcachon, France last summer I just took what they had. These were mostly city type bikes, and fit in with the local users. In Norway they had a C'Dale Quick that was nicer that I rode along the fjords.
Old 03-05-19, 08:51 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,477 Times in 1,439 Posts
I listed my bike on spinlister, and I got a few interested people, though the times were never good for me. I listed my Bianchi Volpe was was sturdy. I've loaned it to friends, and it came back OK. I wouldn't rent a high end bike.

We rented bikes on spinlister when we visited Denver. Yeah, it was a bit of a pain to drive all over the city and pick them up, and they weren't spectacularly maintained. One bike's brakes were unacceptable, but the woman renting it had another to rent, so that worked out.

So my reaction to this whole thing isn't "No way!" but more like "Meh."

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.