Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New bike - extra charge for pedals?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New bike - extra charge for pedals?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-21, 11:16 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I'm trying to remember the brand that got sued because the cpsc reflectors didn't keep the rider safe at night. People sue due to a bad outcome. The actual fault usually has nothing to do with it.
The point isn't to avoid being sued (it's going to happen). The point is to make the plaintiff's case weaker.

The bike had better come with tuna.

https://boingboing.net/2021/01/28/la...at-matter.html

Last edited by njkayaker; 01-28-21 at 11:33 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 01-28-21, 11:32 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
I guess we'll have to disagree then, you're saying virtually every shop in the U.S. is skeezy because they do what their customers want. Also, nobody wants to talk about reflectors. The shop I work for doesn't put reflectors on most bikes that cost over $1000. Those customers know what they want and will ask if they want the reflectors put on. Hybrids, kids bikes and other low-end bikes get reflectors. Safety is a tricky subject. If an inexperienced person thought that cpsc minimum reflectors make them at all safe at night, then they are a disservice.
If safety is a tricky subject for you, instead of making assumptions about people, why not just follow the law? By your thinking on the matter, I’ve got a pretty good guess as to the answer...
Old 01-28-21, 03:43 PM
rebel1916

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
If safety is a tricky subject for you, instead of making assumptions about people, why not just follow the law? By your thinking on the matter, I’ve got a pretty good guess as to the answer...
In regards to everything you have said, no thanks.
Old 01-28-21, 04:07 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

rebel1916 I would have been surprised if you had anything insightful to offer!
Old 01-28-21, 04:21 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
it’s totally skeezy...completely unethical. If someone needs laws to have teeth to make them compliant, that’s skeezy, too. “No cop, no stop,” is that how we should roll?

I have no problem with the shop removing them if the customer wants, but to suggest that shops not only disregard their legal obligation, and further, make it incumbent upon the buyer to ask for what is supposed to come with the bike, is pretty slimy. Give buyers what they’re supposed to have, and let them decide what do with it.

I’d guess that most people who shop at bike shops are either pretty inexperienced and haven’t thought ever in their life about reflectors, have never given any consideration to bicycle safety and were not taught about it in school, or have no idea that a bike wouldn’t come with reflectors and therefore wouldn’t think to ask about them. I don’t know that’s true, of course, nor do we know the converse is true, or even that a large percentage of buyers don’t want reflectors; correct me if there’s indicative data on that, but I’ e never seen it. Given that, and that reflectors are inexpensive, effective, easy to install and remove safety items for the general public good and have no deleterious effect on the bike or rider, the ethical, non-skeezy position for a shop to take is to mount them as required by law, or at the minimum include them with sale.

Further, it seems to me that a shop could use the reflector discussion to show distinctive service and care to the customer, and use as an upsell strategy for lights. That’s good business. Denying customers their due is not. That’s skeezy, like the OP’s shop and the pedals.
rebel1916 I would have been surprised if you had anything insightful to offer!
You seem very passionate about reflectors...Or about "winning" internet arguments.

Either way, I'll bet you don't get invited to many parties.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-28-21, 05:10 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

I win, I party, I'm passionate, my bikes are niche and come with pedals...I admit I've got it pretty good.

Old 01-28-21, 05:15 PM
Koyote

I win, I party, I'm passionate, my bikes are niche and come with pedals...I admit I've got it pretty good.

This post is just sad. It's even more sad that you probably don't understand why it's sad.
Old 01-28-21, 05:21 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Oh believe me, I know it's always sad when I have to put sh*t back up in someone's face because they don't have any sense. BTDT.
Old 01-28-21, 05:37 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
I’d guess that most people who shop at bike shops are either pretty inexperienced and haven’t thought ever in their life about reflectors, have never given any consideration to bicycle safety and were not taught about it in school, or have no idea that a bike wouldn’t come with reflectors and therefore wouldn’t think to ask about them.
That pretty much describes me, in that I never even thought about the fact that my bike came from the shop with no reflectors (or chain guard, or fenders, or kick stand). I'm surprised at the turn this thread has taken. I was the one who first mentioned reflectors as a (weak) attempt at humor. Never thought that reflectors could be so controversial.
Old 01-28-21, 06:53 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
I was the one who first mentioned reflectors as a (weak) attempt at humor. Never thought that reflectors could be so controversial.
Seems I'd be the one with the most horses in the race, but I'm not. It's too weird even for me!
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 01-28-21, 07:16 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
In my opinion, they probably shouldn't come with saddles, either. They usually are replaced pretty quickly. What would be cool is if the bike manufacturers would provide 3 or so selections for the purchaser, and they could fit the one they liked best.
Likes For UKFan4Sure:
Old 01-28-21, 07:23 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by UKFan4Sure
In my opinion, they probably shouldn't come with saddles, either. They usually are replaced pretty quickly. What would be cool is if the bike manufacturers would provide 3 or so selections for the purchaser, and they could fit the one they liked best.
Trek has Project One where you have multiple options for each component.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 01-28-21, 07:27 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
I followed the link and was surprised to see the requirement that bikes have reflectors. I went to look at my bike just to be sure... and it doesn't have reflectors. I'm guessing my LBS just didn't put them on when they assembled the bike. Looks like I'm riding illegally every time I take the bike out.
Not really. The retailer must ensure they are installed when sold. If the consumer pulls them off, that's on them as far as the law goes. It's kind of like the 6" tags hanging off of your pillows when you buy them. Everyone cuts them off, but the retailer must sell them with tags on.
Likes For UKFan4Sure:
Old 01-28-21, 07:40 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by UKFan4Sure
Not really. The retailer must ensure they are installed when sold. If the consumer pulls them off, that's on them as far as the law goes. It's kind of like the 6" tags hanging off of your pillows when you buy them. Everyone cuts them off, but the retailer must sell them with tags on.
Better be careful about that.

Old 01-29-21, 08:46 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
This thread is veering off into the personal, which is never a good thing because everyone knows people are horrible, but it's against the forum rules to point that out in any specific case.

I don't suppose it would be a big loss if I were to close it.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 01-29-21, 09:54 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Having to buy pedals for a new bike is not unlike having to buy the power cable extra for a clothes dryer.
Old 01-29-21, 10:06 AM
Koyote

This thread is veering off into the personal, which is never a good thing because everyone knows people are horrible, but it's against the forum rules to point that out in any specific case.

I don't suppose it would be a big loss if I were to close it.
We should all reflect on these wise words, and stop peddling our personal issues.
Old 02-01-21, 12:30 PM
WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by martin_nv
I just bought a new Giant Talon 2 at the local bike shop, and the sales guy asked if I wanted pedals with that. I was kind of surprised at this, but of course I wanted pedals so I said yes. Is this a common thing now, a new bike not coming with pedals?
it’s quite normal. None of my current bikes came with pedals.
Old 02-01-21, 12:34 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by WinterCommuter
it’s quite normal. None of my current bikes came with pedals.
if you look up that particular bike, it's an entry-level hardtail that definitely should come with pedals.
Old 02-01-21, 12:37 PM
ridinginjeans

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Concorde PRX, Scott Scale 29er, Santa Cruz Tall Boy, Blue Norcross EX

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Shop should give you some pedals

Originally Posted by MRT2
True, unless the shop just assumed OP would be using his own pedals. Even so, the shop should give him the stock pedals unless the customer tells the shop just to keep them.
i’ve had both experiences. Some shops try to charge you for some cheap flat pedals (which is stupid because they have a box of them in the mechanic’s area) and some will hand you a pair without a second thought. Why quibble is the mindset.

The shop that tries to charge you is looking for transactions, not relationships. They don’t care about serious cyclists.

The ones that try to help are the good shops. Give them your business. They’re out there.

And yeah, it’s handy to have a pair of
flat pedals if you are riding with the kids and don’t want to get all lycra’d up...
Old 02-01-21, 01:14 PM
greeniearts

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I just bought a new Giant Talon 2 at the local bike shop, and the sales guy asked if I wanted pedals with that. I was kind of surprised at this, but of course I wanted pedals so I said yes. Is this a common thing now, a new bike not coming with pedals?
It is common, as most cyclists are accustomed to a certain pedal/cleat combo, and thus have a preference.
Old 02-01-21, 01:31 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Originally Posted by greeniearts
It is common, as most cyclists are accustomed to a certain pedal/cleat combo, and thus have a preference.
but not on entry-level bikes like the Talon 2. the Giant page for that bike clearly states that it comes with pedals.

so many people, myself included, have been willing to chime in on this from a position of ignorance.
Old 02-01-21, 01:37 PM
cacher

Bikes: Specialized roll

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
You paid for them, they owe you them.

Ive never ever been given a bike I purchased with no pedals. The lbs owes you a pair; even if theyre budget pedals. Even though I always throw mallets on my bikes. Those are your spares if ever needed.
Old 02-01-21, 02:03 PM
AlanO

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Shops around here throw a pair of cheapo nylon pedals on the display bikes so you can take them for a test ride and just leave them on when they sell a bike. Never heard of anyone asking if you actually want pedals or, even worse, charging for them.
Old 02-01-21, 02:15 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

The Giant Talon 2 comes with pedals. it is clearly stated on Giant's web page for this bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.