Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road Shoes for Narrow Feet

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-20, 09:41 AM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts

There are many options out there for terrific shoes, all the big names , Shimano , Sidi , Specialized , Giro , on and on - do any of these brands make a road shoe that tends to run narrow or offer different widths like New Balance for sneakers ?
Old 03-14-20, 11:36 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Personally (as a narrow-footed person) I have had good luck with Fizik and Sidi. The pair of Sidi that I have are a bit wide in the heel and a bit narrow in the toe bed for me; the pair of Fizik that I have (with a double boa closure) are perfect.
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 03-14-20, 12:18 PM
mrblue

Bikes: Canyon, Bowman & Colnago

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
I have somewhat narrow feet and I've had good luck with:
  1. Sidi
    1. Love the fit
    2. Hate the aesthetics
    3. feel that at any given price point one can get more for their money from another manufacturer
      1. e.g. $300 won't get you a full carbon sole in Sidi, but it will in Giro and Fizik
  2. Giro
    1. Love the fit--only on higher end (more expensive) models
    2. Found that Giro widths are not consistent throughout its range
      1. Higher end shoes seem to run narrower whereas the lower end shoes tend to run wider (at least that's my impression)
  3. Fizik
    1. The shoes are designed to wrap around the foot to give a snug fit for various foot sizes
      1. Fizik calls this "Volume Control"
    2. Like the aesthetics and the fit
Old 03-14-20, 02:09 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I have fairly narrow feet and my Sidi Genius are pretty snug even on me.
Old 03-14-20, 02:41 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Sidi and Bont have a reputation for running narrow.

I have super narrow feet. In the past I have loved Sidi sized narrow (“S”) but I believe they stopped making narrow size a few years ago. You may want to try to find some NOS or gently used in narrow if you can find them.
Old 03-14-20, 03:38 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
My feet are 10.5 (45 Euro) and A width. Scott Road Pro shoes have been the best fitting for me. Alas, the specific 2016 model I got is discontinued, but Scott may still have the same or similar last for other model road shoes. And there may be some remaining unsold old stock.

The Scott Road Pro were strictly summer shoes, with supportive faux-leather only where absolutely necessary for proper support. Everything else was durable mesh fabric, with a large metal mesh vent in the toe box. Pretty much like a Roman sandal for clipless, minus the ankle straps. Only enough room for a single relatively thin sock, no layering or thicker socks, not even room for one of those powder chemical toe warmer packets. Occasionally I'd wear toe covers or full length shoe covers when the temperature dropped below 60F.

I still usually need to choose my own insoles/inserts. Scott includes a pretty good insole but I replaced it with a ProFoot Miracle, the best, lightest, most comfortable and also least expensive insole I've tried.

I put 'em in my Fizik Tempo R5 Powerstrap shoes too -- which are too wide but I mostly use 'em as cool weather shoes with thicker socks. Really reduces the metatarsal pressure "hotfoot" sensation on hard rides with little or no coasting or letup off constant pressure. With the ProFoot Miracle inserts this particular Fizik shoe fits okay too, no real complaints after about a year. Not bad at all for under $100.

My Scott Road Pro shoe looks like this. There may be a newer version that's slightly different:

Scott Road Pro shoe, around 2016-2017 model. Runs narrow, very comfy summer weight shoe.

Last edited by canklecat; 03-14-20 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-14-20, 08:04 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Mavic
Old 03-15-20, 09:05 AM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Thanks everyone for the input , gives me a good starting point , feet are probably B width .
Old 03-15-20, 09:10 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by blinky
Thanks everyone for the input , gives me a good starting point , feet are probably B width .
Mavic shoes are quiet narrow. Definitely narrower than Sidi (i have both).
Old 03-15-20, 11:35 AM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLR

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by mrblue
  1. Giro
      1. Higher end shoes seem to run narrower whereas the lower end shoes tend to run wider (at least that's my impression)
I can confirm that higher end Giro shoes are pretty narrow, which suits me perfectly. I've have a pair of Prolight SLX and now Empire SLX, both based on Easton EC90 carbon soles are I've been very happy that both the velcro on the Prolight and laces on the SLX tighten up great on my narrow feet without any bunching or puckering. They fit great and are very comfortable on long rides.
Old 02-16-21, 12:28 AM
bikeman68

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fizik

1. Sidi
    1. Love the fit
    2. Hate the aesthetics
    3. feel that at any given price point one can get more for their money from another manufacturer
      1. e.g. $300 won't get you a full carbon sole in Sidi, but it will in Giro and Fizik
  2. Giro
  3. Fizik
    1. The shoes are designed to wrap around the foot to give a snug fit for various foot sizes
So in regards to your experience with Fizik, you say Volume Control, does that apply to all of the road shoe models? I have narrow feet, and already noticed the mid range shoe with the Z strap that encloses shoe with the zig zag velcro strap. I'd like to know if they can wrap tight around real narrow feet? And is the arch shallow or high? I dont have much of an arch, but it;s there
My Diadora road shoes are 45s, so I gather that I will want the 44 1/2 in Fizik?
Thanks
Jack in CT
Old 02-16-21, 09:13 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Go by the fizik size chart. It worked for me. Get a model with the BOA. There's little arch in the shoe. There's a size chart here.

https://www.fizik.com/eu_en/tempo-overcurve-r5.html

My feet are not narrow. I took one look at them and thought that my foot would never fit into such a narrow looking shoe, but they did.

I could use more arch support. Sidi is better for arch support.
Old 02-16-21, 03:50 PM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Try Bont Narrow fit. They are custom made so there's no return option. I guess you can try the regular fit somewhere and take it from there. I found their online fit calculator not very reliable though.
Old 02-17-21, 07:36 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Giro SLX laceups are pretty tight/narrow. They can be had reasonable if you search for old models from last year OR willing to wear a used one where somebody chose a wrong size.
Old 02-17-21, 08:57 AM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
+1 on the Sidi "S" shoes. These were their narrow shoes. Sidi discontinued them mainly because evolution meant wider American feet. My old Genius shoes were 46S but with my current Genius shoe, a regular 46, I have to modify the shoe with footbed shims, etc.
Old 02-20-21, 05:05 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
That’s pretty narrow. You can also add a thicker footbed than comes with the shoe. That moves you up slightly in the shoe and should be narrower. Most shoes ship with uber thin footbeds.
Old 03-30-21, 05:24 AM
Hawkyrider

Bikes: Bianchi Sempre Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mavic shoes

Originally Posted by noodle soup
Mavic
Are you sure that mavic are for narrow feet, because i have extreme narrow feet.
Old 03-30-21, 05:31 AM
Hawkyrider

Bikes: Bianchi Sempre Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giro or Fizik

1. Sidi
    1. Love the fit
    2. Hate the aesthetics
  2. Giro
  3. Fizik
I have extremely narrow feet(it's narrower in the pinkie area then it is in the middle of my foot)
I'm considering buying the Giro Empire SLX or the Fizik Infinito R1. Which shoes do you guys recomend.

Thank you.
Old 03-24-22, 09:29 PM
AdamWilson
Cycling Enthusiast

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale, Giant

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There are many options out there for terrific shoes, all the big names , Shimano , Sidi , Specialized , Giro , on and on - do any of these brands make a road shoe that tends to run narrow or offer different widths like New Balance for sneakers ?
I have a bit narrow feet than normal and I am wearing Santic Shoes for cycling since the start of 2020. They are very comfortable cycling shoes for narrow feet. Also, they are affordable as compared to brand shoes like Shimano, Sidi, Specialized
Old 03-25-22, 01:31 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I found that my Shimano ME5 2-pin SDD and my Giro Cadet SDL 3-pin road shoes fit very well. Over the past 50 years I have found that Italian companies produce the narrowest shoes and the German companies the widest, generally speaking. Giro is based in Santa Cruz, CA but evidently they are more Italian when it comes to bike shoe lasts.

The Giro is definitely a great shoe and it has as stiff a sole as you can find. But it is a road shoe designed for SPD-SL cleats which I hate to use. My first bike shoes had cleats nailed to the bottom of the shoe and so walking on pavement was hazardous and I frequently got strange looks with the tap tap noise when I walked. Any gain from the SPD-SL cleats is negated by the inconvenience of having to slip on pads to walk anywhere. I have yet to wear the Giro shoes I bought last summer and instead use the ME5 mountain bike shoes with SH-51 cleats when going clipless.

Both these shoes are true to size which is not the case for the most part. I tried Shimano shoes and actual length varied by model so I ended up buying a size EU 44 and a size EU 45 and then seeing which ones fit better.
Old 03-29-22, 05:17 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Interesting thread. And it emphasizes the point that you really have to try on shoes locally. They're tough to order mail order, unless you're willing to order at least a couple of different brands in a couple of sizes each and return the unwanted ones. Because every brand fits different and you can need a half to a full Euro size difference depending on the brand. Also, you might want differing fit between MTB and road shoes.

I range from 42.5 to 43.5 depending on the brand. My new MTB shoes will be Sidi in 43, and nothing I've found fits my foot better (some as good none better). And, I know, from my old Genius (5.5) road shoes, that they're comfortable, the parts work well, and very long lasting, and I like the looks and features. A variety of Fizik fit very well in a 42.5, and I would have bought them as a change of pace, if I could have found a model and color that I liked in my size in stock. My well-loved, worn out Bontrager XX MTB shoes are a good fit in 43.5 but they never felt quite as good of a fit as my Sidi road shoes, but not because they were too large. I recently tried on some middle-range Shimano MTB shoes I liked the features of, but the 43 was too small and the 44 was too big, with no option of 43.5 in the store I was in. I do remember having the same experience with Diadora years ago: one size was too small and the next size was too big. I haven't been able to have hands-on fitting with any other brands.

I have no doubt that there's several brands that would fit, but there's a limit to how much time and energy to spend on looking at a variety of brands and models and sizes within them. There's a lot to be said - especially if your preference or need is mail order, but even if you don't care to spend hours running around trying on shoes - to stick with a brand you're familiar with and hope they don't change the general fit in the mean time.

Last edited by Camilo; 03-29-22 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-31-22, 01:21 AM
Chrisyang

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Mavic shoes are quiet narrow. Definitely narrower than Sidi (i have both).
The same feeling with you.