Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Road Test/Bike Review (1989) SPECIALIZED Stumpjumper Comp

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-23, 10:20 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 1,000 Posts

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 12-06-23, 08:35 PM
fvernon

Bikes: BMC Road V2; '17 Marin Pine Mountain 2; '91 Marinoni Special TSX; '89 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp; '98 Salsa La Cruz; '79 Centurion Pro Tour; '77 Romic custom sport-tour; '77 Centurion Semi-Pro; '23 Kona Sutra LTD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts
I still have one of these that I used as a commuter. The frame decal says that it's triple-butted, but I don't know if that's just because they were out of double-butted stickers or if production changed partway through the year...either way, a fun all-around rider:

Likes For fvernon:
Old 12-06-23, 10:06 PM
letrebici

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Cool. The SJ Comp, I think was next model up from my regular Stumpjumper. That was first Mt. Bike, but I had a 1990. I rode it home (San Francisco) from the bike shop which was around the corner from where I worked.. It was over a 30 mile ride...the longest ride I had ever done. I was 24yrs old. And I didn't own a car. Most of my trail rides on the SJ were in the Marin Headlands or GG Park. I see it weighs as much as my full suspension carbon bike. 29lbs. But steel is real!
Likes For letrebici:
Old 12-09-23, 05:21 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 978 Times in 649 Posts
A friend of mine who I was riding with in road bike racing had this one as a training and fitness bike, he upgraded later his with XTR 980 and Mavic Cross Max Wheels, the thing was blast despite a non sloping geometry. These bike frames have plenty of potential when fitted with the correct components and the tange tubing used by specialized was unique. That remark is also applicable for the allez road bikes of that era. Fantastic performance for an unbeatable price value.
Likes For georges1:
Old 12-11-23, 12:00 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I was riding my 1989 Cannondale mtb off road today, similar sort of riding experience, though it has only six cogs in back.

1989 was really a big year with the introduction of Shimano's second-generation SIS drivetrain having 7s Hyperglide.
The Biopace II and Biopace HP chainrings that went with this gruppo had been made much rounder (3.5% vs. 8% variation) by this point in time, making for both good pedaling at higher rpms and better shifting.

This vintage of mtb are perhaps the best for tight trails where suspension isn't needed. And with their 1" steer tubes, they seem to have a bit of give to them. Also quite good on regular roads.

It's great that there are still those making good, modern tires for these old bikes, especially as a tubeless conversion can allow lower inflation pressure for the ultimate ride.
Likes For dddd:
Old 12-11-23, 06:20 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Anyone know what year they switched to Prestige tubing for the Comp? My '92 has a Prestige sticker..I am fairly sure it wasn't the first year for that tubeset.