Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Reasonable price for a NOS never ridden 1999 Trek 5200 USPS ?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-23, 06:30 PM
SergeyB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My LBS has an oldstock '99 Trek USPS edition 5200, full ultegra groupset with a front 3x and Rolf Vector wheels, etc. Bike has never been ridden, but it has been on that wall for the better part of 20 years. I am a mechanic myself and can refurb all bearings, etc,, and will take off that granny gear and make it into a more suitable training bike. My question to you all is -- what's a reasonable price to pay? I'm not really keen to go over 1k, and he always gives me deals and I know he's selling the business to his apprentice come NY of 2024 so I suspect if I want it I have to get it before then. Anyone have opinions? Provisionally, he is asking $1,500.

Thanks!

Ps. I want the bike as a bit of history preservation of that era of cycling and because I'm a big fan of Armstrong re USPS days.
Old 12-08-23, 06:50 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
Tough one. A 5500 with DA would ratchet the price upward.
Ultegra with a triple - not so much so. $1,500 sounds fair, while $1k seems a bit low.
These rode quite nicely, although I liked Kestrel's ride better.
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 12-08-23, 08:58 PM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts
If that was my dream bike, the one I grew coveting, and I wanted it not to collect but to put thousands of miles in it, it would be worth the $1,500. It is not so it would have to be $500 for me to be interested.
Likes For abdon:
Old 12-09-23, 07:47 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2324 Post(s)
Liked 4,992 Times in 1,777 Posts
Well I"m biased on this one so it wouldn't be fair to offer a value. A main part of value for me is the ride quality of a bike. I will say that I bought a 5200 with the Ultegra triple setup and Rolf Wheels a couple of years back used for $400. Not a USPS bike but in good shape. The planned use for me was mainly for the long climbing rides. Seemed to be working well for that but I did found myself happy to stand a lot more than needed on rides up the mountains just to get some relief.

To the bikes credit, when I did my "19 mph challenge" a couple of years ago it was my second fastest bike. Being beat only by the old Softride.

But a couple of months ago I did back to back rides on all six of my older carbon bikes from that era. Here was my conclusion at the end of all of this. Each bike ridden for 50 miles except for the C40 due to a broken cable. But I already had long rides under my belt on the C40.

1- Colnago C40 - Just does everything so well and has proven to be very fast in earlier rides.
2 -Trek Y-Foil - Too muted on the road to put it above the C40 but I will admit that my fastest Century ride ever was accomplished on this bike.
3- Calfee Tetra Pro- I'm surprised at how well it did comparatively. I guess it compares better to other C.F. bikes than it does against my good steel rides.
4 -Kestrel 200 SCI- Had to think about this. Not as comfortable as the Air One yet it felt so magical when I stood and pedaled as well as the way it seemed to effortlessly take off when I got into the drops.
5- C4 Air One- Another one that really never impressed me all that much originally. Maybe it's yesterday's changes or something but I was pretty happy with how it rode. It just didn't excel at any one thing.
6- Trek 5200 - This is another surprise. This one was second only to the Softride in my 19 mph challenge. Yet compared to all the others it was so uncomfortable. The only bike I wanted off of well before the ride ended.

So if you are considering it as a rider you may want to rethink or at least test it if you can. My 5200 was "upgraded" to my preferred Fizik Kurve saddle and some nice Zonda wheels yet still is uncomfortable to me. It's probably going on the chopping block come spring. So my early morning, coffee induced ramblings aside. I just can't put much value in one of these. Especially a USPS one 'cause I'm a diehard Greg Lemond fan.
Old 12-09-23, 09:32 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
I would say $1500 isn't out of question for this bike and fair price if it's a bike you really want. As jamesdak indicates this bike while great may not be the most comfortable bike to use a regular training bike.
Old 12-09-23, 12:22 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 278 Posts
Yeah, after the Armstrong thing blew up on Oprah, I wanted one of these bikes badly. But the Ultegra triple drops the value considerably. If it was a lightly used actual USPS team bike kitted with Dura-Ace, then I'd pay maybe a grand. I have a full USPS and Discovery team kit that I wear occasionally. And an Enron and Parmalat jersey.

In the 2000s, riding one of these bikes with your pals would be considered a vulgar joke, as everyone with even a superficial knowledge of pro cycling knew the disgusting things that were going on. But now, given the passage of time, and the need for the next generation to learn from history, this bike and the stories around it provides a kitschy but necessary cautionary narrative.
Old 12-15-23, 07:12 PM
Ferguron

Bikes: '15 Giant Propel Advanced SL1, '17 Trek Madone RSL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 15 Posts
I bought the exact same bike (including the less-popular triple) as my first road bike in 2019. I paid $450...it was old but pretty lightly used.

I owe that bike...it introduced me to the world of road cycling to me...now I do about 5000 miles per year.

I've moved on to better bikes but I'll never sell it.
Old 12-15-23, 08:12 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Preserve history, buy it and box it up.

when I read It’s not about the bike, I concluded this guy was chemically cheating.
‘this would be a bike that if given to me, I would take apart and paint it, maybe flat black and hope no one recognized it.
‘strong attitude I have toward this era.
Old 12-15-23, 08:23 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
BITD I'd have only opted for the double, now I'd be cool with the triple. For NOS 12-1500 seems reasonable, less than 1200 a bargain, more than 1500 depends on how badly you want the bike. Personally I was never as big on the 5200/5500 bikes, I much preferred the Madone that came out a couple years later, and for a fully equipped NOS ultegra version in 54cm I'd lay out 2000. But for a daily rider/training bike, I'd buy something much newer, it was great in its day but its day is long past and the new stuff is nice.
Old 12-16-23, 10:53 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 541 Posts
I'd love to see some pictures of it. I had a 5200 Ultegra triple (Non USPS) and I loved that bike. If that bike is "unridden", stock and how you describe it I would be tempted to spend $1500. Personally, in that kind of condition I think that anything near $1k would be a steal. But... I do love that bike. BTW, if I bought it I'd be riding it like I stole it.
Old 12-16-23, 12:51 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
This is probably the most iconic and collectible bike of that era, doping not withstanding. If anything, the notoriety from the Lance Armstrong doping scandal, probably makes this bike even more memorable.

The bike retail market is very soft right now. The OP should start by offering $1000.
Old 12-16-23, 01:03 PM
seagrade 
Making up the numbers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 502 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
This is probably the most iconic and collectible bike of that era, doping not withstanding. If anything, the notoriety from the Lance Armstrong doping scandal, probably makes this bike even more memorable.

The bike retail market is very soft right now. The OP should start by offering $1000.
It depends how one defines the era, and to each their own, but I’d sooner have one Indurain Pegoretti Pinarello than a stack of USPS Trek OCLVs. The latter is still far too commonplace to be collectible I think.
Old 12-17-23, 09:14 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Test ride the bike - Some of those old Treks have an outstanding ride quality. If it's super fine then, give a suitable amount of tribute. That's it. That's all. Done deal.
Old 12-18-23, 07:12 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
K

Originally Posted by seagrade
It depends how one defines the era, and to each their own, but I’d sooner have one Indurain Pegoretti Pinarello than a stack of USPS Trek OCLVs. The latter is still far too commonplace to be collectible I think.

roughly my opinion as well. But that wouldn’t be playing in the 1-1500 market I don’t think.

just looking at it as a brand new Ultegra equipped bike in a patriotic color scheme, we’re it my size I might be able to find 1k. For $1500 I’d have to really want it , but doesn’t seem like that crazy a price.