Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Specialized turbo Vado sl 4.0 chain guide?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-24, 09:15 PM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts

My wife has the above bike and loves it-- but the bike is calling for a chain guide as it's a 1 x 11. Anybody know a good chain guide that fits the Specialized frame and drive unit? This is a whole new mechanical world to me!
Old 03-23-24, 11:39 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Would be best to contact a Specialized dealer or Specialized themselves
Old 03-24-24, 04:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
You might look at something that is designed around mountain bikes that will mount high and sit low. I haven't seen a personal need for one and my old old boss didn't need one either and he rode the heck out of that thing all over including some off road stuff. A good 1X specific narrow/wide chainring will really do the best job keeping the chain on. If you want something to protect pant legs you just need to find a chain guard (of the same BCD) which is basically a toothless chainring and then longer bolts but that could be a little tougher. Your local Spesh shop could help out on that front.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-25-24, 10:04 AM
roadfix
hello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
The Vado chainring already comes with a chain guard. Are you looking for a separate chain guide or stopper to keep the chain from derailing?
Old 03-25-24, 02:50 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Last summer I rode a 5 day gravel tour in Idaho over some pretty rough roads and trails, about 175 miles. One of the riders was on a Vado Turbo SL 4.0 and had no chain drops, or any other mechanicals during the 5 day ride. I was pretty impressed at the durability and capability of this bike. The outfitter charged the bike each night at camp and she was good to go again the next morning.
Old 03-25-24, 08:07 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Dear bike manufacturers:
"Turbo" is a component of an internal combustion engine.
Bicycles have no need for such things.
Please do not lower yourself to sound cool.
You're better than that.

Love

CE
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 03-26-24, 07:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
Dear bike manufacturers:
Bicycles have no need for such things.
Please do not lower yourself to sound cool.
You're better than that.

Love

CE
Dear CE,

Turbo is also a garden snail who wants to go fast (played by Ryan Reynolds) and the first part of a popular tax software. You are thinking of a turbocharger which is sometimes shortened to turbo but it is not a wholly owned trademark of anyone as far as I know and has been in use for a long time for many things. In the end the I.C.E. is going to be just fine whether Specialized continues using it for another 10 years or maybe 20 or 30 or 40 or 50...Gas engines will still burn a finite resource into the air we breathe, Specialized even as big as they are won't stop that simply by continuing to use Turbo something they have done since at least 2014.

Oingo Boingo shouldn't have played that concert in Muncie back in 1983, man, uncool! Obviously fake argument but kind of what is happening here it is old news and you are just now realizing you didn't like it and it has really no effect on anything.

Don't try to fake cool yourself, if you have nothing of use to provide to a thread then maybe no need to make a silly comment.

Hugs and Kisses,
VB
Old 03-27-24, 09:45 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
Dear bike manufacturers:
there is a Porsche Taycan Turbo which is an electric car

but yes it's been misappropriated as a marketing term

I may have one of those Vado "chainguards" which goes on the crank spider.

Contact me on PM

/markp
Old 03-27-24, 10:46 AM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
there is a Porsche Taycan Turbo which is an electric car

but yes it's been misappropriated as a marketing term

I may have one of those Vado "chainguards" which goes on the crank spider.

Contact me on PM

/markp
Common to turbochargers (themselves a subset of superchargers) and e-bikes is the concept of boost. I think that term has itself been used for bike names. OTOH a Trek Forced Induction 650 might not sell, while Turbo at least sounds cool. Better than Trek Boost 650? No idea.

Consider the marketing triumph that is this Platinum Edition Pickup Truck, with its BMW-like pricetag. One could find actual platinum in the catalytic converter and O2 sensors, but not a speck to be seen on it. But, who doesn't want a fancypants pickup truck with a fancypants name to distinguish it from the blizzard of pedestrian F150s clogging our thoroughfares?

Threadjack achieved.
Old 03-27-24, 10:59 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Originally Posted by veganbikes

bla bla blah....

Don't you have a bike shop to hang out at and be useless and annoy the owners and customers with your "knowledge"?
Old 03-27-24, 04:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Don't you have a bike shop to hang out at and be useless and annoy the owners and customers with your "knowledge"?
Wow so you couldn't quote me properly and you couldn't provide any useful content to this thread. Good job. As far as bike shops I do have one to work at which I own. I unlike you contribute useful things to society. However that is neither here nor there this is a thread about the Specialized Turbo Vado SL which you really have little knowledge on (which is fine you cannot know everything, I know I don't nor would I claim that).

Also if you had read what I wrote I was having some fun. Sorry you don't like fun. An Oingo Boingo concert in Muncie? Turbo the Snail? Pure silly!

I just rode my Vado SL 5.0+ today, it is a fantastic bike. Feels nice and with the AXS upgrade it is great. No worries about chain coming off though a cool chainguard could set it off. My only qualm right now is wiring looking crappy but that will change when I have time to hide it all and make it look cleaner. Right now functionality is the key and it is finally functional and riding like a dream.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-27-24, 10:27 PM
CrimsonEclipse

I unlike you contribute useful things to society.
Oh, Honey, you're adorable.

Bless your heart....
Old 03-27-24, 11:18 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Oh, Honey, you're adorable.

Bless your heart....
So cute and yet still irrelevant to the topic at hand! Good job. Also please don't do anything to my heart, I like it just the way it is.

Getting back to Vado's at least on the 2nd gen stuff with the Mastermind TCU you can connect a Garmin Varia Radar and it will beep and give you notifications on the TCU. No need for anything else. I would have to look at which Garmin cable I bought but it works nicely though needs some wiring work but in the previous post I mentioned that.
Old 03-28-24, 03:02 AM
CrimsonEclipse

So cute and yet still irrelevant to the topic at hand! Good job. Also please don't do anything to my heart, I like it just the way it is.
Your meds are on the counter...
Please take them.