Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

New chain every thousand miles?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-09, 11:19 AM
Kneez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts

I had a not so great ride yesterday. I was out at about the point farthest from home on my usual ride when I broke a spoke on my back wheel. The wheel was ridable but, being concerned that it might not be finished misbehvaing, I rode home very, very slowly.

On the way I decided to stop at a bike shop, one I have never been to, to see if they might replace the spoke on the spot so I wouldn't have to limp the rest of the way home. The mechanic mumbled inaudilby as he took my bike to the back of the shop to work on it. Within a minute or two he shouts, "I'd advise you to upgrade these wheels! They are very low grade!"

Now, I know I ride the universally dreaded "stock wheels" but I didn't ask him for his opinion. I just wanted him to replace the spoke. He eventually did and as he came out he said, "By the way, your chain is worn out."

"What?"

"Yeah, it's worn out. How many miles do you have on this bike? About 1000?"

"750."

"You should replace the chain in within the next 200."

"Really?"

"Yes. These ten speeds wear out fast."

"Nine speed."

"Yeah, nine speed. You don't want to skimp on this. It will chew up your cassette. It's like changing oil in your car. New chain every 1000 miles. Should I just do it now?"

I passed. I have never heard about a getting a new chain every thousand miles. At my current rate, I would have to get a new chain every 5-6 weeks. Is this right?
Old 09-09-09, 11:23 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
I get 8,000 miles from Nashbar cheap nine speed chains.
All my riding is flat roads no hills.

Old 09-09-09, 11:25 AM
JoelS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get 4000 miles on a Campy chain. Shimano chains often wear around 2500. A lot faster if you don't clean and lube it every 1-200.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 09-09-09, 11:25 AM
flip18436572
Triathlon in my future???

Bikes: Junk, that is why I am here. :-)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Put a tape measure on a link. At the 12" mark on the tape measure you should be at a link. If it is over a 1/16" long, you should replace it and hopefully not have problems with the gears. Over that and you might have caused undo wear on your gears. That is the quick and easy check.
Swim, Bike, Run and sounds like fun
Old 09-09-09, 11:26 AM
Kneez

8,000 miles sounds more reasonable. I ride mostly rolling hills but I do have a climb worthy of some consideration when I get home. I live up on top of a hill, you see.
Old 09-09-09, 11:28 AM
Kneez

Originally Posted by flip18436572
Put a tape measure on a link. At the 12" mark on the tape measure you should be at a link. If it is over a 1/16" long, you should replace it and hopefully not have problems with the gears. Over that and you might have caused undo wear on your gears. That is the quick and easy check.
Thank you. I didn't know how to check if the chain is worn out or not.
Old 09-09-09, 11:34 AM
Kneez

I just measured the chain. 12" falls on a link but not exactly on the center. It's about 1/32" off.

Edit: I re-measured and it was right on. Either way, it looks like the chain still has some life left in it.

Last edited by Kneez; 09-09-09 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-09-09, 12:10 PM
XR2

Bikes: 88 Bridgestone T700

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
By "on a link" do you mean at a pin or between the pins?
Old 09-09-09, 12:14 PM
bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you found a shop not to bother with again. Even if your wheels were bottom of the barrel he has no reason to shout that across the shop, I would have been rather miffed at that comment.

Was this *ahem a Trek dealer by chance ?
Old 09-09-09, 12:23 PM
Kneez

Originally Posted by bautieri
Sounds like you found a shop not to bother with again. Even if your wheels were bottom of the barrel he has no reason to shout that across the shop, I would have been rather miffed at that comment.

Was this *ahem a Trek dealer by chance ?
I was annoyed, for sure. It's a shop that specializes in triathalon stuff. I could tell by looking at the things they were selling (and not selling) that mere mortals are not normally allowed in and I probably got in by accident. I don't plan on giving them any more of my business unless it's an emergency of some sort.
Old 09-09-09, 12:23 PM
Kneez

Originally Posted by XR2
By "on a link" do you mean at a pin or between the pins?
I assumed "at a pin."
Old 09-09-09, 12:26 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
He might have made the wheel comment knowing that when one spoke breaks, it means others are also in danger of giving way. If he replaced the spoke and only did enough to replace the spoke, you are more than likely in for more trouble.

Now if he's a GOOD wheel guy, knowing you had trouble at less than 1000 miles on a new wheel, he would have retensioned the entire wheel and spokes. But my bet is he didn't.
Old 09-09-09, 12:31 PM
Kneez

Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
He might have made the wheel comment knowing that when one spoke breaks, it means others are also in danger of giving way. If he replaced the spoke and only did enough to replace the spoke, you are more than likely in for more trouble.

Now if he's a GOOD wheel guy, knowing you had trouble at less than 1000 miles on a new wheel, he would have retensioned the entire wheel and spokes. But my bet is he didn't.
I am sure he did just enough to replace the spoke. That was all I really wanted at that point. I wanted to get home before dark.

At any rate, he could have explained that the wheel is in trouble, as you did. I think he was trying to shame me to drop more money.
Old 09-09-09, 01:32 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Only my winter chain lasts under 1500 miles, and that's the one constantly getting gnawed up by the sand and volcanic cinder the county uses instead of salt on the roads around here.

My usual chain is a SRAM PC971, and I get between 3500 and 5000 miles from it. I'm a bit obsessive about cleaning my drivetrain, so that helps. I do wear chains down quicker than the average rider though, because I'm 235-ish and I ride a lot of hills.
Old 09-09-09, 01:59 PM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I use the KMC DX 10sc, works fine on Campy and Shimano 10 speed setups.. You can get a solid 4-5k out of the chains. Here is where I get them..

https://cgi.ebay.com/KMC-DX10SC-10-Sp...d=p3286.c0.m14

the nashbar chain is exact same model

https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...5_10000_201491
Old 09-09-09, 02:21 PM
Kneez

Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
Only my winter chain lasts under 1500 miles, and that's the one constantly getting gnawed up by the sand and volcanic cinder the county uses instead of salt on the roads around here.

My usual chain is a SRAM PC971, and I get between 3500 and 5000 miles from it. I'm a bit obsessive about cleaning my drivetrain, so that helps. I do wear chains down quicker than the average rider though, because I'm 235-ish and I ride a lot of hills.
I am about the same weight. I guess I should take that into consideration. I am getting back into riding after a many year break. I have never ridden at anything near this weight before. It's a new world.
Old 09-09-09, 02:25 PM
barturtle

Bikes: Jamis Coda

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd invest in a Park "Go/No-Go" Gauge, it's the quickest and easiest way to tell if a chain is worn. We larger riders do stress the chain a bit more than those lightweights, and if you cross-chain you'll wear it even faster. I got 1800 miles out of the stock chain on my bike (started at ~280, now under 245), though I'll admit I'm a bit lazy about cleaning it, and I do cross-chain from time to time.
Old 09-09-09, 02:31 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by barturtle
I'd invest in a Park "Go/No-Go" Gauge, it's the quickest and easiest way to tell if a chain is worn.
Only takes a couple seconds to hold a ruler up to the chain and has the advantage that it works properly on any type of chain construction. The special chain-checker gadgets have a tendency to read properly on some chains and not on others.
Old 09-09-09, 06:57 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,745 Times in 1,016 Posts
I had 3500 on my hybrid chain and I only had to replace it cause I replaced rebuilt the bike with a 9 speed setup.

Old 09-09-09, 10:11 PM
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How many miles a chain lasts depends on maintenance and riding habits. That is true of any brand chain. I am not a good maintenance person, so I go through chains over twice as fast as my brother, who does maintain his equipment better. He is also more conscious of how and when he shifts. I just shift when I need and do not consider the chain.
Of course I am at 230 pounds and he is at 185. All things matter when considering how long a chain will last.
Old 09-10-09, 09:08 AM
prxmid
dolce far niente

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon, Dura Ace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went through the same thing last wek with my LBS, whom I trust. Said I needed a new chain, have just about 1000 miles on it. It's a Dura Ace, they said the higher end, lighter chains wear quicker, Clydes also wear chains out quicker, more torque, and , according to him, riding on the big ring wears them out faster.

Either way, I'll probably replace over the winter, with the cassette
Old 09-10-09, 05:25 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by prxmid
according to him, riding on the big ring wears them out faster.
Seems doubtful. For a given force on the pedals, the tension in the chain will be greater with a smaller chainring due to the leverage (length of crank / radius of chainring). Of course the chain will be rotating faster for a given gear using the large ring vs. the equivalent gear in the small ring (say 52 - 20 vs. 39 - 15), but I'd expect the greater tension in the latter gear to be of more consequence to the chain life.

Now having a 'mashing' pedaling style (i.e. slow cadence with high force) vs. spinning may reduce chain life, but that's separate from using the big chainring in situations where the same overall gearing can be achieved with either ring.
Old 09-10-09, 11:19 PM
nymtber

Bikes: See Signature...

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had 6 years on my mountain bike chain. It hasn't seen much dirt in that time, but has seen a lot of miles on crushed gravel paths, which are very abrasive. It was overdue for a change. Replaced my girlfriends chain this year because hers was rusted to the point it needed replacement. Trying to get her to be better about applying chain lube, the old chain was dry as a bone
Old 09-11-09, 12:54 AM
Archinutt
Enthusiast

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Giant OCR-1, and a 1996 Raleigh M60 MTB

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am just going through this for the first time. I didn't know about this either. I am 260 strong. I have 3,000 miles on a 2007 Giant OCR 1. i am a moderate cleaner of the drivetrain. The chain is shot, as are my middle gears on my cassette. Luckily I had upgraded fairly early to a higher gear set. Economy what it is.. I am reverting to my original cassette. Ironically, my bottom bracket just went out, and my back wheel has little cracks at the spokes and just went out of true. i bought a new wheel. Just funny that this all went out at the same time. Still love the bike, it is just that everything is designed for skinny bastards!!
Old 09-11-09, 04:11 AM
Mazama
Bikezilla

Bikes: Co-Motion Mazama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pushing about 5,000 on my current chain. Probably needs replacement, but meh, no slippage or anything yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.