Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Anyone ride at night?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-09, 05:15 AM
NUTNDUN
Lost in Space

Bikes: 1985 Trek 520, 1992 Trek 1200, 2014 Trek Remedy 8, 2019 Trek Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know if I would spend so much on the Dinotte 800 when the magic shine is basically the same type of setup for less then 1/4 the price. I know the magic shine setup is a newer system and hasn't totally proven itself.
Old 09-29-09, 05:27 AM
bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Not true. Geoman is selling a bright LED for $85. I have a flashlight that uses the same head and it is very bright for a very small package. It easily approaches the brightness of HID.

For about $90 a lamp unit, you can also build a light that is about 3 times brighter. Look here. Here's what 3 of those lamps look like

$300 will buy a whole lot of light if you DIY

I agree completely.
Just curious but how hot do those lights get? Is there any concern with leaving them on for too long and buring out the LED or board?
Old 09-29-09, 08:21 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by bautieri
Just curious but how hot do those lights get? Is there any concern with leaving them on for too long and buring out the LED or board?
Those lights aren't LED. They are overvolted halogen. Their output is much higher than any LED currently available and even higher than HID. Yes, they do get hot but they are housed in a metal housing made for car headlights. Follow the link
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-29-09, 08:38 AM
Riverside_Guy

Bikes: Trek 750

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those lights aren't LED. They are overvolted halogen. Their output is much higher than any LED currently available and even higher than HID. Yes, they do get hot but they are housed in a metal housing made for car headlights. Follow the link
Curious, owning them, would you consider mounting them on typical bike helmets?
Old 09-29-09, 08:38 AM
funrover 

Bikes: Mostly schwinn... few classics

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heck yeah, I love night rides. There is a certian peace that the day just doesn't have
Old 09-29-09, 09:08 AM
love2pedal.com

Bikes: Colnago C50

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I second the $90 Magicshine from Geomangear.com
Excellent company to deal with

It is significantly brighter than my $300 Cygolite Trion

Dan
Old 09-29-09, 09:13 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy
Curious, owning them, would you consider mounting them on typical bike helmets?
Yes.

The lamp doesn't get that hot. Lots of people put the same lamp in PVC fittings without problems but it does get warm. It really doesn't stick up more than many other lights I've used and I have a lower form light (made from a track light) that works too.

Here's what a P7 flashlight looks like in comparison

Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-29-09, 09:25 AM
gapwedge
Old Fart

Bikes: 09 Specialized Sirrus Expert; 09 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NUTNDUN
I don't know if I would spend so much on the Dinotte 800 when the magic shine is basically the same type of setup for less then 1/4 the price. I know the magic shine setup is a newer system and hasn't totally proven itself.
Can't argue that point.
Old 09-29-09, 11:47 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NUTNDUN
When you start getting into the $450 price range and up, I don't see any benefit in sticking with a battery powered system. A wheel built around a 3N80 hub driving a Supernova E3 or Schmidt Edelux lamp will cost about the same amount and you'd never have to worry about running out of charge.
Sure, the argument can be made that for the same price you're getting 600 - 1000 lumens of output vs. the 60 - 80 lux (not really comparable measurements, I know) from the generator lights. But the output on a single E3 or Edelux is plenty of light for a nighttime 40mph descent.
Old 09-29-09, 12:30 PM
gapwedge
Old Fart

Bikes: 09 Specialized Sirrus Expert; 09 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The main thing we are all talking about regardless of our lighting systems and costs for such systems is enjoying our bike riding even in the dark hours. Never in my wildest dreams a year ago I would have entertained even the thought of riding in the dark much less riding period. To me that puts it all in perspective. I have learned sooooo much in my first year of riding and never thought I would enjoy it so.
Old 09-29-09, 01:13 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gapwedge
The main thing we are all talking about regardless of our lighting systems and costs for such systems is enjoying our bike riding even in the dark hours. Never in my wildest dreams a year ago I would have entertained even the thought of riding in the dark much less riding period. To me that puts it all in perspective. I have learned sooooo much in my first year of riding and never thought I would enjoy it so.
True.
I've always enjoyed getting out and riding around the neighbourhood after dark, but it wasn't until I started commuting year-round and riding LD with the Seattle Randonneurs that I really appreciated the differences between day/night riding.
Spending 4 or 5 hours on a lightless road through the middle of farm country during the day can get boring: Corn corn corn corn tractor corn corn corn corn. The same area in the middle of the night becomes a surprise a minute: Corn, mouse, owl, corn, something rustling in the corn and you can't see what it is better ride faster, more corn, a snake...
Old 09-29-09, 02:24 PM
Riverside_Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes.

The lamp doesn't get that hot. Lots of people put the same lamp in PVC fittings without problems but it does get warm. It really doesn't stick up more than many other lights I've used and I have a lower form light (made from a track light) that works too.
Fabulous... thanks so much for the effort of puting up the images.

Looks like some extra wire to the switch to be dressed?? 2 feet to the power pack seems short for mounting that on a belt... or do you emply a different way??

Saw the flashlight, but I really don't need it as a flashlight, I have a bunch of small LED ones that throw more than enough light in flashlight situations. I jiggered one to my bars and it was fairly dim at 30 feet, but it did kinda open it a bit as it was pitch black without it.

Did my first night ride 3 week ago, it really was quite wonderful (in Central Park, big green area in the middle of a big urban environment). The typically frenetic pace of the daylight hours very much transmogrifies to tranquility. Then again, the main road is pretty well lit, so lights aren't THAT necessary. There's another potential ride right down by the Hudson River that probably isn't all that well lit, but it's been nasty windy there and poured rain on a night group ride that was scheduled.
Old 09-29-09, 03:21 PM
cyccommute 

Fabulous... thanks so much for the effort of puting up the images.

Looks like some extra wire to the switch to be dressed?? 2 feet to the power pack seems short for mounting that on a belt... or do you emply a different way??
There is wire coiled behind the light on the back of the helmet (you can just see it). That's about 2 feet of wire and my battery has a long lead on it too. I put it in a Camelbak so I don't need too long a lead. The power cord is just speaker cord from Radio Shack so you can make it any length you like. I also have some extension cords made of the same material if I do need a longer lead.

Old 09-29-09, 03:57 PM
kenseth03

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
True.
I've always enjoyed getting out and riding around the neighbourhood after dark, but it wasn't until I started commuting year-round and riding LD with the Seattle Randonneurs that I really appreciated the differences between day/night riding.
Spending 4 or 5 hours on a lightless road through the middle of farm country during the day can get boring: Corn corn corn corn tractor corn corn corn corn. The same area in the middle of the night becomes a surprise a minute: Corn, mouse, owl, corn, something rustling in the corn and you can't see what it is better ride faster, more corn, a snake...
Greeeaatttt!!!! Now I really want to ride in the dark! LOL
Old 09-29-09, 06:05 PM
b_young
Support JDRF

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Night riding is the best. And I believe is safer than the day. With proper lighting people see you sooner than in the day and they think your nuts for riding at night so they give you more room when they pass. I commute a lot. I work 6am to 6pm or 6pm to 6am. depending on the rotation. Usually half of my commute is in the dark especially this time of the year. I have also been known to not be able to sleep and go for a ride somewhere between midnight and 2am. I prefer it. Traffic is lighter, which is not too bad even in the day. I do get more not so supportive comments at night, but when someone passes by and yells something at me I choose to think they are complementing my bike.
Old 09-30-09, 09:52 AM
lonegunman88240

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i ride at night usually, i simply used a old innertube cut it into heavy duty rubber bands, and use them to strap my led tactical light on the handle bars, and i usually dont ride so much in town, because of intoxicated cagers, and a-holes in general that think its funny to run bikers into bar ditches, we have 2 jogging trails at the very north edge of town, the entrances to both are about 300 yards from each other, and in the same area theres a old army airbase with runways and old roads everywhere, we usually ride armed out there, just because one night a herd of javelina kinda spooked and ran out in front of us, my friend hit one, we got to see just how fast and far we could ride that night, i dont think any of them ever gave chase, but we wanted as much time and distance between us and them as possible, they can get dame vicious when they want,
Old 09-30-09, 10:02 AM
CliftonGK1

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kenseth03
Greeeaatttt!!!! Now I really want to ride in the dark! LOL
Watch the Spanish horror flick "Eskalofrio" and then go for a midnight ride through a sparsely populated wooded route.
Old 09-30-09, 10:25 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kenseth03
As the evenings get shorter I am faced with the fact that if I want to do any riding I may have to do a majority of it after dark. I really don't dig this since I live in the country and it is creepy (yeah as a man I can admit this) when riding in the dark out here. I have plenty of lighting for my bike so I guess that will help. Anyone else doing any night riding?
If I didn't ride in the dark I wouldn't be able to do much riding/commuting from fall through spring. Riding in the dark is a blast and I think it's actually safer than riding in the day because you can not only see the other vehicles coming better, but if you are decently lit and reflective, they can see you better too. You'll get over the 'creepy' part fast with a good headlight. The cheap P7 flashlights throw off a lot of light...I combine mine with my old Vega as an additional/backup, or with my Stella if I need more than a couple hours of runtime.

Originally Posted by hairnet
It's best not to do it alone because if anything happens there may be no one else around to help you. I learned the hard way.
Best stay home then.
Old 09-30-09, 12:28 PM
kwduffy02

Bikes: 2000 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2008 Specialized Roubiax Elite, 1970's Murray 10 Speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride in the dark, usually 2 times a week, home from night classes at the University. It is about 4-5 miles one way. The route I take varies depending on what I am feeling like and which bike I am riding, usually down side streets or bike paths that are pitch black, sometimes down the main road through town which is pretty busy at night still. I have a 4 LED blinky on the back and a single LED light out front. The front could be a little bit lighter and after reading everyone's suggestions I might look into a new front light =).
Old 10-01-09, 02:41 AM
Mazama
Bikezilla

Bikes: Co-Motion Mazama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride in the dark, but not necessarily at night. 5AM. Very peaceful.

I get by with the Cateye HL-EL500 LED. Not real bright, as I have run into a few potholes, but some other options are just way too expensive.
Old 10-01-09, 05:20 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mazama
I ride in the dark, but not necessarily at night. 5AM. Very peaceful.

I get by with the Cateye HL-EL500 LED. Not real bright, as I have run into a few potholes, but some other options are just way too expensive.
You could get a P7 flashlight, charger, couple of batteries and a handlebar mount for the price of that light you have...but would have about 10 times more light. The days of decent lights being way expensive have been over for like a year already.
Old 10-01-09, 09:02 AM
Riverside_Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did some poking around yesterday, here's the most interesting stuff I came across:

https://nobmob.com/node/9475

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/....php?p=2960073

https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=526474

Thermal paste looks like the one necessary mod, replacing the wiring seems a tad overboard. In one of the threads, the AYUP CREE image kinda looks similar to my e-cheapo LED lights.

BTW, they all say it's an LED, not an overdriven halogen. BUT, halogens do get hot while LEDs don't...

NB: Sorry, I worded the following poorly. The above refers to the 85 buck Magicshine P7 variant, the following to another comment about ultra expensive lighting.

Sorry, but the "way expensive/overpriced" will seems to apply. When I went looking at lights, I found whole websites devoted to lights that started at 400 and ran up to 700.

Last edited by Riverside_Guy; 10-01-09 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-01-09, 09:39 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Did some poking around yesterday, here's the most interesting stuff I came across:

https://nobmob.com/node/9475

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/....php?p=2960073

https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=526474

Thermal paste looks like the one necessary mod, replacing the wiring seems a tad overboard. In one of the threads, the AYUP CREE image kinda looks similar to my e-cheapo LED lights.

BTW, they all say it's an LED, not an overdriven halogen. BUT, halogens do get hot while LEDs don't...

Sorry, but the "way expensive/overpriced" will seems to apply. When I went looking at lights, I found whole websites devoted to lights that started at 400 and ran up to 700.
Hey, if you want to spend that kind of money when you can spend 50-70 bucks on a P7, charger, batteries, and mount...go for it...but don't use those prices as an excuse why you can't have plenty of light for riding at night.

FYI, LEDs don't get hot, but the circuitry that drives them can.
Old 10-01-09, 09:48 AM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My Dinotte 200L only gets hot if you run it while not moving - it's cooled by the wind.

I gotta agree with Nutdun - the 800L is porbably waaay overkill, unless you do a lot of night riding with long descents.

Peter White has a couple of very good pages up about lights - a general article and another about headlight beams.

My bands:
Old 10-01-09, 10:25 AM
gotls1
Cute, fluffy, and illegal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Hey, if you want to spend that kind of money when you can spend 50-70 bucks on a P7, charger, batteries, and mount...go for it...but don't use those prices as an excuse why you can't have plenty of light for riding at night.
I've got a fancy-pants, bike specific, $250 light on one bike and a P7 with a $4 mount on another. The difference in lighting is negligible - both are excelent. If I had it to do over again I'd have two P7s and two $4 mounts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.