Old 10-15-17, 07:54 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 541 Posts
SGRT: Condition 10/15/2017

I know that most of the posts, or at least the most active ones regarding homeless encampments and bike path safety are regarding the SART, I just wanted to file my report (lol) about my ride on the SGRT today.

I only covered the length from Seal Beach to Telegraph Road. On the same ride 2 years ago, almost every underpass from South Street going North had some level of evidence of homeless being there. Today I only saw about 4-5 tents and they were on the opposite side of the ditch. I can't comment on the condition from Telegraph Road going north, but this was a huge improvement in my eyes. I actually had a nice relaxing ride and enjoyed the tailwind going home.

I know there was a sidebar about the SGRT level of safety in the SART thread but I thought we might start a dialog about how the SGRT is looking. I'd like to go all the way up to the dam, and if the conditions further North are anything like I experienced today I'll be doing that ride quite soon.
Old 10-15-17, 08:15 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
The whole route north to the end at 39 is more clean and clear than it has been in the last 5 years or so.

Rode the whole length to Seal Beach to the end and back starting at SF Dam last week, Today I did the upper portion from Whittier narrows and there's one tent and two residents at the RR tracks at Valley, and I did see one well camouflaged tent north of the 210. Nothing like the last couple of years. The disco ball and rope lighting are all long removed from under the 60. There is some unobtrusive activity, but for now trashing the place is not being tolerated.

It's worthwhile though to keep a thread active on this. From some recent news reports the Co Board of Supes is about to go as brain dead stupid as their brethren in OC.
Old 10-15-17, 08:43 PM
TakingMyTime

TGT1,
Thanks for the input. I think I'll be trying the ride up to the dam sometime in the near future. I also agree that it is good idea to keep a thread open regarding the SGRT's level of safe access. I'd like to keep this thread more in tune with the SGRT's current and updated level of safety and access than having it become a thread on how to combat homelessness.
Old 10-16-17, 05:29 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Why do you think one river trail is more attractive to homeless habitation than to other river trails?
Old 10-17-17, 04:19 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
They are down there in the weeds, you just don't see them.
Old 10-21-17, 11:04 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Why do you think one river trail is more attractive to homeless habitation than to other river trails?
Well that's an easy one, the trails that provide room service (SART) will be more popular.
Old 11-20-17, 09:42 PM
TGT1

There's a bum camp on the RR property at Valley Blvd. that seems to be growing exponentially over the last couple of weeks.

The rest of the trail has stayed relatively clear so I'm guessing it must be a jurisdictional thing with the encampment not being on county property.
Old 11-20-17, 10:28 PM
TakingMyTime

Thanks for the update. The Santa Ana winds are supposed to be blowing tomorrow and I was thinking of riding north in the morning and enjoy the tail-wind for the ride home.
Old 11-21-17, 01:06 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I haven't ridden SGRT since probably August but "they" cleared out all the homeless encampments underneath overpasses sometime over the summer.

Edit: I meant to say north of Whittier Blvd
Old 11-21-17, 06:40 PM
TakingMyTime

I rode North from El Dorado Park up to Telegraph Rd. Not really far enough to see how the northern sections are shaping up but I did notice there seemed to be a few more homeless on the trail this time as compared to last month. Not a lot of them, but more than last time. Tomorrow I hope to go about 5 miles further and I'll report back then.

BTW... today there was a real nice tailwind for the ride home (South)
Old 11-21-17, 09:48 PM
TGT1

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
BTW... today there was a real nice tailwind for the ride home (South)
That's a real rare occurrence you got to take advantage of. The wind usually benefits us denizens of the SGV for the trip home.

The prevailing pattern is no or minimal tail wind headed south till about 10:00am and then increasing intensity thru the afternoon S to North.
Old 11-21-17, 10:29 PM
TakingMyTime

The wife and I usually ride to the beach in the morning and then we get the tailwind coming home (moving north) on the SGRT. I'll plan a ride based on wind. Tomorrow I'm going to try and get to Whittier Narrows. Should be another Santa Ana condition.
Old 11-22-17, 04:01 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

The smart play on SGRT is to head south in the AM, dawdle and then head north after 10 or 11. That's why I like to wait till late afternoon so I can get really hunkered down into a nice stiff headwind for half the ride.
Old 11-25-17, 06:50 PM
marquhar

Bikes: 2008 Motobecane Immortal Force

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
What about Colima and Turnbull?

guys,

Looking for ride reports.

anyone have any nice things to say about Whittier-La_habra_heights hill country? Is Colima anything more than a flat-puncture festival lately?

Since they installed the sunken rumble strips on the descending part of Colima I don't have the guts to ride it. I had too many weird things happen. Multiple front tire blowouts, for starters.

I contacted the Whittier Public Works and got some feedback, but nothing was ever done.

Thanks
Old 11-25-17, 10:07 PM
TakingMyTime

Lately I've only gotten as far North as Washington Blvd. The last 2 miles especially under the bridges seem to have some pretty rough spots.
Old 11-27-17, 11:16 AM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
Friday my wife & I rode a loop starting from Hollydale Park in Southgate onto the LART & taking the Rio Hondo north. You can take the trail north of Whittier Dam or exit to Lincoln to get to the upper half off San Gabriel Blvd just west of Hwy 19 (Rea Park is a nice rest stop). Took it all the way to Peck park (another nice rest stop) then exited to Peck Road north to California St. then east on Royal Oaks all the way to Encanto Park. Hit the upper SGRT south through the Santa Fe dam area then headed south on the SGRT via Arrow Hwy. Took SGRT south to Alondra exit.
The Rio Hondo trail has much nicer/wider underpasses & very few bums adjacent to the trail-especially upper portion. The section of SGRT between Arrow & the golf course isn't bad only a few bums here & there again mostly away from the trail.
The section between the golf course & mid-city area where we exited has been cleaned up drastically in the last few months but a few bums are returning mostly in the Whittier area.
What saddens us most is the amount of garbage these bums generate & leave in the channel beds and along the paths. No respect for themselves or others. You don't see trash piles along the portions that are mostly bum-free or on other trails (e.g. upper SART or Irvine trails).
Next time we do this route we plan on taking the Rio Hondo exclusively or taking Siphon Road (the trail portion that runs beside Durfee from the SGRT to the HWY 19/Durfee intersection) to avoid the lower SGRT section & the ungodly Whittier Blvd underpass.
BTW much work being done on the upper SART above Gypsum Cyn will be real nice when completed.
West
Old 11-27-17, 04:48 PM
TGT1

Originally Posted by marquhar
guys,

Looking for ride reports.

anyone have any nice things to say about Whittier-La_habra_heights hill country? Is Colima anything more than a flat-puncture festival lately?

Since they installed the sunken rumble strips on the descending part of Colima I don't have the guts to ride it. I had too many weird things happen. Multiple front tire blowouts, for starters.

I contacted the Whittier Public Works and got some feedback, but nothing was ever done.

Thanks

Haven't ridden Colima since late spring/early summer, It wasn't bad then. There's plenty of width to avoid the rumble strips, but the amount of debris is a crap shoot. Usually there's some glass to avoid right at the crest of the hill where you are slow and it's easy to avoid. Don't know what the psychology behind it is, but bottle tossers seem to go for the crest of hills and bridges to let loose. The glass always seems to accumulate in the same spots on each route.

Whoever is responsible for the Diamond Bar side keeps it clean, but the Whittier side seems to get swept about once a year, if at all.

I used to ride it fairly regularly and have never had any flatting issues, but then, I run a wide "adventure touring" tire most of the time.
Old 12-03-17, 04:48 PM
TakingMyTime

Rode from El Dorado Park to San Gabriel River Parkway and back this morning. The route was pretty clear. The encampment under Imperial Hwy seems to have grown and it seems to be contained to that area. A lot more trash today. Other than that it was a nice safe and pleasant ride.
Old 12-04-17, 10:32 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Did they finish those bridge/underpass projects yet? It's been awhile since I was on that part of the SGRT
Old 12-04-17, 03:49 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Had a nice 43 mile ride Sunday - got on SGRT at Whittier and rode to Seal Beach and then down PCH over to SART.

SGRT was mostly clean - there's a bunch of trash at one point (can't recall where) and some tents under Imperial but for the most part it was clean and pleasant.

As for the debris on Colima, you'll be pleased to know that the residents of Whittier EACH pay Republic $5 per quarter to sweep the streets but they don't ever seem to do it.
Old 12-05-17, 08:57 AM
hsuehhwa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the update
Old 12-05-17, 11:52 AM
mave12ick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, anybody or groups out here ride from baldwin park area?
Old 12-19-17, 02:07 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
rode it last tuesday from live oak/arrow around the santa fe dam and north to trail's end above azuza. trail was clean and came across a dozen or so cyclists.
came across one person on the trail that had seen better times but no visible encampments, noticeable debris or trash on or around the upper stretch.
Old 12-19-17, 08:33 AM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
rode it last tuesday from live oak/arrow around the santa fe dam and north to trail's end above azuza. trail was clean and came across a dozen or so cyclists.
came across one person on the trail that had seen better times but no visible encampments, noticeable debris or trash on or around the upper stretch.
I agree the farther north you go esp. above the SF Dam rec. area the nicer the conditions. I like to take the Rio Hondo till it ends at the Reservoir park then make my way over to Encanto park, cross the foot bridge & continue on the SGRT back south.
West
Old 12-19-17, 08:55 AM
TakingMyTime

Thanks for the updates!

This is what I envisioned this thread to be. Not a homeless bashing thread, but one just for us cyclists keeping tabs on the SGRT condition and safety.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.