Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Libretas Mixtie, Jump On it at $250?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-23, 06:42 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
Libretas Mixtie, Jump On it at $250?

Sadly I ,missed out on this, it sold, for 175 andI guess the shipping too on the 14th Now I've having palpitations and vasilations over the Soma sale

I've been thinking about a Mixtie for some time and would love a nice frame to move my IGH wheelset to. I just happen to stumble on this on the 'bay this morining but I'm not too familiar with the name. Is Libertas a good name?

$175 BIN and $78 shipping. For comparison a 58 SOma is $700 with a Tange frame. https://www.ebay.com/itm/28555392581...Bk9SR57l6eX3Yg

531 and 60cm C to T seat tube and 58 C t C top tube. Are the dropouts for Simplex or CampI? (I think Simplex is that type RD hard to find?) not that it matters as I'd like to use this for IGH wheels.

700c Wheels and nutted brakes.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 11-19-23 at 04:53 PM.
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 11-11-23, 08:31 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

since it is a Flanderlandt produkt it will be BSC so no worries about sourcing metric bits for the build...

ends set is a Juy model which launched 1973-74

hope it works out for you so we will all be able to enjoy the build textilium

mixte this large are not common

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 11-11-23, 08:42 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2484 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

since it is a Flanderlandt produkt it will be BSC so no worries about sourcing metric bits for the build...

ends set is a Juy model which launched 1973-74

hope it works out for you so we will all be able to enjoy the build textilium

mixte this large are not common

-----
Thanks for "textilium"! (Adjectival form: textilis, woven, plaited, knitted.)

Surprising how seldom Liberia bikes show up in C&V. Or maybe not: I remember seeing a few around in the '70s, but not since.
Old 11-11-23, 08:56 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Trakhak Liberia? Stupid AI Yeah I think I think I saw a few years ago when I first started comeing here but not many recently.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 11-11-23, 09:18 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
Really nice frame and high end mixte's this size are pretty rare. Not a great price but within reason if it's something you really want and your not likely to come across another mixte frame set of this size and quality any time soon. Libertas made quit a few nice large step through bikes so not super rare just most were sold in Europe so it is pretty rare for one to pop up in this condition in the US as frame set. I think this bike would build up very nicely with IGH. I don't see any issues with the build your planning for it.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 11-11-23, 09:23 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

I found this, barely readable, '76 spec sheet on the Cabe. The color isn't right but I'm guessing it's with a year or two of this. Super Course MKII. I used a magnifying glass help up to my desktop screen.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 11-11-23 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-11-23, 09:41 AM
juvela

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I found this, barely readable, '76 spec sheet on the Cabe. The color isn't right but I'm guessing it's with a year or two of this. Super Course MKII. I used a magnifying glass help up to my desktop screen.

-----

why are you posting a Sir Wally specifications cross table in a discussion thread about a Libertas frameset?

-----
Old 11-11-23, 10:49 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by juvela
-----
why are you posting a Sir Wally specifications cross table in a discussion thread about a Libertas frameset?
-----
Because I didn't realize the spec sheet was for comparing the OP's Librertas to the similar Raleigh, I thought it was the Libertas catalog https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/pl...bertas.127513/

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-11-23, 11:28 AM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 3,750 Times in 1,841 Posts
@bianchigirl Not knowledgeable to comment on this bike, but I will say I have been on the look out for good quality large mixte's since you made posts saying you were looking. Notice I haven't really posted any and I am in a pretty big bike market. They do seem rare.
Likes For SoCaled:
Old 11-11-23, 02:09 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
That's a fine looking bike. I have a 531 Libertas in the build queue and it looks to be a well built bicycle. Agree with the others, given how difficult it is to find a taller higher end mixte, the price is reasonable. Plus this frame looks to be in great shape. Looking forward to the build thread.

Last edited by bikemig; 11-11-23 at 02:13 PM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 11-11-23, 02:37 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
@Bianchigirll,
If you do decide on external gears I have the bits here to make changes and a couple of Huret Eco-Duopars that will fit it. I sure hope you get it! It should be a fun one. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 11-11-23, 02:50 PM
juvela

-----

minor build tip -

in case you elect to proceed one thing to check upon arrival is shell width

there are some Flemische products constructed to BSC standard which are built with seventy mm shells

this combination eliminates the possibility of using a SPECTA or Verot BB assembly as neither maker fabricated spindles for shells of that width

they accommodated Italian shells by making the walls of Italian dimension cups one mm thicker than those of BSC & metric cups

-----
Old 11-11-23, 03:55 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 965 Posts
I am not a big fan of the brand, mostly I think of their stuff as boom time. This mixtie appears better than most Libertas period. I lean more to the yes than no. The derailleur hanger is the only real perceived drawback.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 11-11-23, 04:24 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,291 Times in 1,280 Posts
This is the tallest mixte I’ve ever seen . I will admit , I don’t pay much attention to them because they all seem to be way small for me to enjoy. They seem like they would be handy to ride for city riding or running errands. My daughter had a mixte and she rode it quite a bit . I have it stored in my shed in case she gets interested in riding it again.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 11-11-23, 04:47 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Bianchigirll FWIW: I have the disc brake version of the Soma Buena Vista. Their price has come down from the pandemic high of ~$1000 that I paid. So, I would call $700 a good buy if you were on the fence with the idea.

For mine, I ditched the OEM fork & built it up with a pile of weight-weenie road components I had on hand from other projects. It came out to 19 pounds and a few ounces. All in, owing to materials already on hand, the whole project probably set back my lifetime earnings about $2k over not having ventured at all. Very much worth it. It is a supremely well riding and sporty road bike.

My only gripe is that as a bolder than average descender the torsional stiffness does not inspire confidence in negotiating switchbacks at inappropriately high speed. Wide low pressure tires 700x38 slick tires hold the road well, but if only the feedback were less vague between where the front wheel was pointed and the saddle and back wheel followed...

I suppose that characteristic is inherent any and all mixte designs and due to the triangulation between the rear dropouts and the head tube they are a whole mess better than any other low/mid-step design. The mixte is the clear choice for better roadier road bike performance among non-diamond frame designs. (They're just harder to manufacture, thus less common.)

If I were to do it again, (knowing that torsional stiffness is it's only weak spot, (If you are really pushing it)) I'd spec a larger headtube and downtube than the good folks at Soma. For a point of reference, I had a diamond frame Ritchey Ascent that I paid double for & it felt mushy and vague all the time!

All this is to say: "Don't let the $700 price tag scare you. The Buena Vista is a very fine riding bicycle."

I do wish I had input on the Libretas. It is a pretty blue color. What I can't say is whether or not it conforms to any modern "standard." It'd be a shame to spend $250 only to find out there is an Achilles heel with some component made of unobtanium. This is purely my own ignorance that makes me wary. At least the Soma is a known known.

*Subscribed.*

Last edited by base2; 11-11-23 at 04:57 PM.
Likes For base2:
Old 11-11-23, 05:06 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
One thing I like about this frame not noted earlier is the way the rear triangle is done should allow for a bit more wiggle room for spacing for different gearing setups and clearance for wider tires and possibly fenders which gives you more build choices options. I think this one would be great with IGH setup with fenders and rear rack for around town city bike that is a notch or two above most of the stuff out there.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 11-11-23, 05:33 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

base2 Yeah I've been looking the Buena Vists for a long time. I don't undersrtand why they don't set up the disc brake frame to be ambidextrous, not that I want disc but I think ithe resale value would be better. Also the vertical dropouts mean I'd need a tensioner for the IGH set up

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-11-23, 09:38 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Bianchigirll The dropouts are sliding so that even though they are vertical, the IS mount disc, axle, "everything" can be adjusted for chain tension.

IMG_1497 by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

Also, the sliding axle plates can be replaced. There are through-axle options in both flat and post mount. https://www.merrysales.com/shop?&search=sliding

But, yeah. A single ambidexterous frame with a brake bridge drilled that could accept a long reach calper like a Tektro 599 doesn't seem like it would be impossible to do. I wonder what their thinking was.

Last edited by base2; 11-11-23 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-11-23, 10:36 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
BG, that looks like a Simplex type derailleur hanger without the stop for a Campy/Suntour rd ... if that's meaningful to you.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 11-12-23, 07:43 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

SurferRosa Yeah I wasn't too sure about that, it's hard to get a good look in that pics, not sure if that accidental or by design. Again I'm thinking of this for my IGH wheels so unless I need a tensioner I shouldn't need the hanger.

base2 Yeah but they didn't set it to use a rim brake in the rear for some reason. perhaps because the adjustable dropouts?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 11-12-23, 08:41 AM
base2 
I am potato.

The rim brake model has horizontal drop outs and the brake bridge that is omitted on the disc version. I was agreeing that it is a shame they didn't include the bridge and have a single frame that could accomodate both types. Probably production cost related somehow. 😞

What kind of IGH do you have? If Shimano there is a strong chance that there may be a rubber cover over a centerlock disc mount or a fitting for a roller brake. There is a company that makes a rollerbrake to disc adaptor.

Last edited by base2; 11-12-23 at 08:56 AM.
Old 11-12-23, 01:03 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

@base2 Alfine 8spd redstripe (go beer!) yes both the rear and dynamo front have the threading for disc but I have no intrest in them

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-12-23, 10:57 PM
juvela

-----

one seldom encountered bit of metal worn by the frame is the ESGE laterals bridge

usually the very lowest bicycles will just use a piece of strap steel for a laterals bridge

nicer frames will employ an attractively designed piece from a maker such as BOCAMA or NERVEX

​​​​​​

here is a catalogue page illustrating two BOCAMA designs

suspect the BOCAMA & NERVEX bridges may have been unusable here due to the angle made between the seat tube and the laterals

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 11-13-23, 07:28 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Quality tubing and chromed lugs, that is is the best mixte frame I have seen.
Old 11-13-23, 09:33 AM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 219 Posts
That frame looks a treat. As others have said, the ride may lack rigidity and in its place you will find a springiness that is actually fun when you get used to it. But I wouldn't charge too hard into corners.

Looking forward to the build if you end up pulling the trigger.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.