Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

cycling in the heat + power data

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-07, 11:11 PM
Snicklefritz

Location: In the middle of horse country, in The Garden State
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm curious where people draw the line when it comes to working out in the heat. At what
point do you check the temperature and say it's just not worth it?

I seem to do ok up to about 90 or so if I'm well hydrated and not doing anything particularly
strenuous. If it's any hotter than that or if it's a tough workout, I'll just go indoors on the trainer.

What are other people doing?

For people who train with power, I'm also wondering what sort of dropoff (if any) you see in your power numbers when it's really hot out.
Old 06-14-07, 11:24 PM
jrmohan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode once in 104 degree weather, that was the first and last time I'll ever ride in +100 degrees.
Old 06-14-07, 11:44 PM
SandLizrd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Out here in the desert, up to 105 is doable. With enough water sources, that is.

But remember, it's very low humidity. And swigging from a hot water bottle takes the spirit out of it Right Away
Old 06-14-07, 11:47 PM
SpecializedOkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
See I can handle the heat but it is the humidity that gets to me, Oklahoma is terrible right now in that respect. In addition I'm not exaggerating but today when I checked weather.com for the current temp before my ride it said 80 but feels like 92, which means it was a bit on the muggy side.
Old 06-14-07, 11:51 PM
Rocke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love the heat. Having said that over 102 it gets tough. I find the water in my bottles gets very hot even when packed with ice rather quickly, within 10 to 15 miles. It is only good for pouring on the head and legs at this point so fresh water stops are important if going over 30 miles. (I program stores and public coolers on the way.)

Spinning is okay, but hills and strong head winds can be very aggravating. Hills that normally are a spin to the top feel like riding in 2” deep carpet or sponge. The leg muscles just loose their snap and seem to be stretchy. (Like riding on flat tires!) A sprint to catch a light can expose how close to the edge you can be. It also messes with the head. It can be a little disorienting like becoming disconnected and distant from what is going on outside of you. (Looking through a tunnel)

Riding from Tucson to Mesa or Phoenix there are some very strong winds at times that make the distance seem to double, (and dusty) in the heat it can be the difference to break you. I have just about lost it because I did not consider this and expended more energy than I banked on early. The available energy drops off quickly in the heat, it is easy to get nauseas, and that hurts too. High sugar drinks (like Gatorade) make me lose it; half strength is the most I can take and only in one of two bottles. It is important to have a place to get into and cool down at the end of the ride. Stopping in the heat is no good as you lose evaporative airflow, cruising slow while cooling down is better. (Chills are a definite sign you are close to bonking.) Overheating can drain you for a couple days.

Having said this I love coming in covered with salt like I rolled in the sand… Dizzy and exhausted having ridden where many folks won’t. When I ride in cooler weather after these high temp rides, I feel I have gained more of a training effect than if only in the cooler air. (It may be in my head.) Nothing flushes the system like heat. (Or challenges it.) Go figure… I hate riding in the cold! (I start to whine in no time.)
Old 06-15-07, 12:02 AM
jonathanb715

Bikes: Kestrel Talon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate hot weather - but I was out doing a lot of climbing in 100+ degree heat yesterday. Lots and lots of water (it helped that the humidity was low). One thing I've found is that training in the heat definitely builds a certain level of tolerance for it.

JB
Old 06-15-07, 12:16 AM
obra3
Little Pony

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raced in 102 degree weather. Temp on the asphalt was close to 105-106. Would not recommend it at all.
Old 06-15-07, 01:56 AM
urodacus
Large Member

Bikes: 05 Giant TCR 0; 94 Le Mond Alpe d'Huez; 83 Colnago Saronni; 81 San Rensho Katana Super Export track bike, #A116-56; 97 GT Zaskar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Raced in 38 degrees 2 weekends ago, and the road temp was 43 degrees (what's that in Fahrenheit?). Still came 10th! I regularly ride 3-4 hours training in the same conditions, and commute to work at midday every day. and this is Taipei, it's HUMID. you have no option but to ride above 35 degrees on sunny days.

The more you do it, the better you get at it, and as long as you're moving it's not too bad. and it gives you more endurance for those days when it's not so hot. Just drink a lot, and throw water over your head to cool down. Agreed, your power drops off if you are not used to it but otherwise, what's the difference if you can keep cool enough?
Old 06-15-07, 02:04 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
I have a problem when it gets much greater than - 87. Particularily if it is humid. Guess, if it were all downhill, i'd be ok. But, slowing down uphill, the sweat consumes my glasses and can't even see whats ahead. I hate heat. I might go out between 87-92, but I start looking for excueses. I'd rather ride at night in such conditions. Particularily last year, after i caught a case of heat exhaustion. It gives you the shakes. It's awful. Took a valium shot to get my breathing back to normal.
Old 06-15-07, 05:16 AM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All depends on the humidity, at 18% I've ridden in the low 100s. When the humidity is 60% or greater then low 90s is about the highest I've ridden in. The nice thing about low humidity is that when you get some shade the temps may be 10-15 degrees cooler and you get some really nice relief. The worst part about the heat for me is traffic lights, riding is Ok but when I'm sitting still at a light baking it really hits me hard.

While I don't ride with power my HR will start increasing as I become overheated/dehydrated. Last Sunday on an easy 60mile ride I had to bail out early because my HR climbed to a point I new I was getting in trouble, see below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
HR.jpg (52.9 KB, 18 views)

2013 Noah RS
Old 06-15-07, 05:21 AM
mleess

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't mind the heat at all. Then again, I ride so fast that I always have a great breeze to cool me off!
Old 06-15-07, 06:21 AM
BILLB58

Bikes: '79 Schwinn Varsity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The key for me is water...on rides longer than 50 mi....(usual Sat. wanderings) I always have 4 water bottles mounted....all 4 insulated bottles...I fill them about 1/4 of the way, the night before and put them in the freezer....top them off just before I leave, 3 with water and 1 with a Gatorade type....I also usually throw 1 pannier on and throw a few more bottles of water in there, along with sandwiches, a banana and an apple or 2....

Normal temps now will be in the '90's with very high humidity.....some days I think I should bring a machete to just cut the air in front of me...did a 66 mi trip and a 76 mile trip in 100-102 temps with probably humidity in the 80/90% area, last Sept.....I ran slower, stopped in the shade more often...when I felt like I was overheating, I took a few minutes break under a shade tree....depending upon where I am and whether I have access and the need to replace the water, I'll spray some water over me....

With commuting 25 miles r/t every day, I am probably more acclimated to the heat than many, so I feel I can tell when it is affecting me.....probably earlier than a weekend rider, so I slow earlier and stop more often....

I actually like these type of days.....on the back roads, when it is this hot, even the cars are rare....then I can see much more wildlife....

You just need to be careful, and understand the challenge.....there is no such thing as an obstacle, just a different level of a challenge.
Old 06-15-07, 06:57 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Snicklefritz,
Are your races in hot weather sometimes? If so, I think you need to ride outdoors when it's hot.

I try to ride early in the day in the summer, but when I have to ride mid day, I console myself with the thought that I'm acclimating for races that are going to be mid day, and hot.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 06-15-07 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-15-07, 07:20 AM
shnapper
Speed Junky

Bikes: The nice ones

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was 110 here in phoenix, I have to start at sunrise to beat the heat. I still drew the line at 35 miles because it gets hot quick. Plus some Borat on cannondale blew by me and I had to real his no stopping at stop signs ass in LOL which blew my moderate pace LOL!
Old 06-15-07, 08:26 AM
Adgooroo

Bikes: 531 steel frame Peugeot (20 yrs old) and 2005 Tommaso AS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My mid-day ride yesterday in Indiana was 93 degrees. Not killer - actually quite bearable once I was in the breeze and sweatin'. I only do 18 miles at lunch; chugged a bottle of water before I left, and had one on board.
Old 06-15-07, 08:41 AM
Bluechip

Bikes: Salsa Fargo Ti, Cannondale CAAD9, Carbonello Fixed Gear, Specialized Epic Disc

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Here in Houston you would never ride if you couldn't adjust to the heat. The humidity is always high. I ride at night sometimes and it is usually in the 80's with at least 70% humidity. I did the Katy Flatland Century last year and it was over 100. The important thing is to take in plenty of water. I was stopping at every rest stop and pouring water over my head. It was one of my slowest centuries to date at nearly 7 hour total time. A couple of days ago I was riding in 94 degrees and all of the sudden clouds started rolling in and the temp dropped to about 75 and I felt like I was freezing. Then the rain started and boy was it cold.
Old 06-15-07, 08:56 AM
blonduathlongrl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
riding in the heat is not a problem for me but I draw the line for running, anything above 90 is just too miserable.
Old 06-15-07, 09:27 AM
alloutdoors

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was 106 when I finished the Hotter than Hell Hundred last year. I don't think that I will ever bike in heat like that. It is usually over 90 around here most of the summer and that is doable, but water and endurolytes are heavily required.
Old 06-15-07, 09:35 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I've been ok up to about 90 in the NYC humidity. I'm going to find out this weekend though if I can still do it.

I don't know about dry heat as I've never gone riding in the desert. i was in Moab last summer and it must've been 100 one day when I was walking around. I wanted to do a group trail ride but the shops were all booked, which surprised me as it didn't seem to be all that busy in town, so I didn't get to ride. I think the heat would have done me in anyway.
Old 06-15-07, 12:28 PM
sleazy
everyone has a plan...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
its not the heat... its the stupidity.
Old 06-15-07, 12:34 PM
Nickel
Splicer of Molecules

Bikes: Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I try to train in the heat since it is likely that I will have to race in the heat. Unfortunately, I haven't found a good recovery plan yet as I seem to get heat exhaustion really easily. Despite riding with a camelbak (70oz), spilling water over myself, and drinking a lot of fluids (water & electrolytes) afterwards, I'm not really sure what to do differently. I'm hoping to figure it out by the end of the summer as it is going to really hamper my training/racing.
Old 06-15-07, 12:37 PM
awiner
1 Serving Per Container

Bikes: 2007 Look 595 Ultra (Campagnolo Record)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am one of the weridos that LOVES hot weather. I have ridden in 106 degree temps here in Southern California and loved it.

I would prefer 80 degree weather however, will ride in anything but the cold !