Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized Allez Elite or Giant OCR 2??? HELP!!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-07, 11:50 PM
gerg10
Comfortably numb.

Bikes: Giant OCR1 '07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am finally ready to purchase a road bike. I have ridden the Specialized as well as the Giant a few times each, both feel great. So as for the "which one fits better" for me its a draw, maybe specialized my a hair. Im just wondering if anyone can give me a little push in one direction or the other. Giant $900 Specialized is $1050

Thanx
Greg
Old 07-14-07, 12:12 AM
SpecializedOkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was in the same situation a year ago, with the decision between giant and specialized. I went with the specialized and have been very pleased with its performance over the past year, I have an '06 Allez comp.
Old 07-14-07, 10:03 AM
Nashville Man

Bikes: Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized.....they just look better.....IMO.
Old 07-14-07, 10:30 AM
Gee3
Senior Moment Member

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite Double & 2008 Look 555

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was in the same boat too. I chose the Specialized because of the technology involved in building the frame. (read: the bling aero seat tube! haha) Both bikes felt very similar but the Spec just was nicer looking to me. So I chose that. And I'm very happy with it. Although if I had the extra I would have gotten the Carbon Giant at about $1500 but I was already stretching the budget.
Old 07-14-07, 10:52 AM
wrobertdavis

Bikes: Surly Bridge Club, 1992 Miyata 914

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by gerg10
I am finally ready to purchase a road bike. I have ridden the Specialized as well as the Giant a few times each, both feel great. So as for the "which one fits better" for me its a draw, maybe specialized my a hair. Im just wondering if anyone can give me a little push in one direction or the other. Giant $900 Specialized is $1050

Thanx
Greg
Both will be reasonable and good bikes. Look for differentiators beyond the bikes themselves, if both are comfortable and feel good to you. Does one have a "same as cash" plan that might help your cash flow? I assume these come from separate dealers. In my area specialized and giant are never handled by the same dealer. A dealer is a huge asset to your enjoyment. Their lifeblood is repeat sales and ongoing sales of accessaories and gadgets to feed your avocation. Go with a dealer that is actively involved with promoting cycling. Do they support local rides? Do you know others who could tell you about their service and general experiences?

Bob
Old 07-14-07, 03:43 PM
gerg10
Comfortably numb.

Bikes: Giant OCR1 '07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanx everyone for your opinons and advice. I think I want the Specialized, but they only have it in the silver color...ugly IMO....I like the the white one, but they said they cant get it anymore because they stopped making it to start producing the 08's I'm a little bitter about it but what can ya do. I guess just wait for the 08's.
Old 07-14-07, 06:57 PM
Lucky07
Ride 365

Bikes: '06 Cannondale Six 13 Pro 2, '05 Specialized Allez Elite, '04 Jamis Satellite, 90's Raleigh M-45 single speed conversion, 80's Fuji Team single speed conversion, 70's Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an Allez Elite & love it. I did swap out the wheels & brakes after a year. The Alex rims & no name brakes didn't hold up. Most bikes in that price range skimp on those components.
Old 07-15-07, 07:59 PM
ukepete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got a Allez Elite last year.No problem with it at alll,wheels are still true,brakes stop strong with Dura Ace pads,and considering it has a aluminum frame,it rides very smooth. I did get rid of that Avitar seat and put on a Serfas RX.changed my front stem to a short high one instead and am very happy with my bike
Old 07-16-07, 05:41 PM
crd15

Bikes: 06' Specialized Allez elite Triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
allez elite.. hands down.. i mean cmon look at it
Old 07-16-07, 06:47 PM
madturtle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerg10
Thanx everyone for your opinons and advice. I think I want the Specialized, but they only have it in the silver color...ugly IMO....I like the the white one, but they said they cant get it anymore because they stopped making it to start producing the 08's I'm a little bitter about it but what can ya do. I guess just wait for the 08's.
hey I've got a silver allez elite... and I like the silver .

I've got about 2800 miles on mine and one crash. Other than standard maintenance I've got a little creak in the crank arm that recently appeared but I think I figured out how to fix it (loctite 641) and I've got a new high spot on my rear rim that I can't figure out seems unlikely it happened in the crash but what else? I don't know, might be another thread soon...But I'm not complaining I think it's performed great so far based on my limited experience.

If the $150 doesn't matter too much too you I'd second going with what seems like the better quality shop and/or who will put the most experience/effort into a fit. Also when you go in to purchase you should try and deal w/ a manager for larger purchases. In my experience the managers might knock the price down on a bike a bit (same for skis and kayaks in my experience); something the other hourly sales people probably aren't authorized to do. Also might get a few more add ons at a discount that way (tubes, accessories, whatever). And if you want the Spec you might "mention" you are also looking at a Giant for $150 less when you go in to buy it.

Last edited by madturtle; 07-16-07 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-16-07, 06:51 PM
MONGO!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get the cheaper one and spend the $100 on a fit.
Old 07-16-07, 08:44 PM
supertj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MONGO!
Get the cheaper one and spend the $100 on a fit.
I bought a Giant OCR1 for $900 with a free computer and lights thrown in. It was last year's model.

Giant's customer service sucks though. BUt you hopefully won't have to deal with them. Most don't need to ever.
Old 07-16-07, 09:47 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by supertj
I bought a Giant OCR1 for $900 with a free computer and lights thrown in. It was last year's model.

Giant's customer service sucks though. BUt you hopefully won't have to deal with them. Most don't need to ever.
Uhh! I'm looking at buying a Giant, please expand and explain, what happened?