Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Seat post issue......

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-10, 07:56 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Seat post issue......

I just bought a Worksman bike since I know they are the heavy duty bike to own. Problem is I can't seem to find a seat post that will set the seat back 2" (for leg stride) that won't bend when I sit down.

Now I know at 365 lbs I'm no feather weight (which is why I bought the Worksman) but this whole seat thing is just driving me nuts!!!!!!

I desperately need to shave some pounds and I know a bike will work for me since that's how I lost weight before but if I can't ride this new bike I'm getting nowhere fast ! I had some ideas that I tried but nothing is working !!

Help!!

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 09-07-10, 08:08 PM
Mr Danw

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Can you move the seat back to the end of the rails?
Old 09-07-10, 08:16 PM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Velo Orange Grand Cru Seatpost will do the trick, 30mm of setback.. These also work great for Brooks saddles since it is hard getting them back far enough..

https://www.velo-orange.com/vogrcrusepol.html
Old 09-08-10, 04:23 AM
Mazama
Bikezilla

Bikes: Co-Motion Mazama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had good luck with Thopson Elite: https://www.lhthomson.com/elite_sizes.asp

Super Strong!
Old 09-08-10, 05:46 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Hey mazama! Great to see ya pop out of the woodwork!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 09-08-10, 09:18 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightshade
Problem is I can't seem to find a seat post that will set the seat back 2" (for leg stride) that won't bend when I sit down.
Seatposts with 50" of setback aren't very common! The only one I know of is made by Oval Concepts and it's carbon fiber. While I'm a big fan of CF, I'd be a little worried about having 365lbs cantilevered out 50mm behind the body of the post... Posts with 25-30mm of setback are more common and are usually all that's necessary if the bike fits properly. Lots of choices in that range. I like Thomson, but I think their setback post only gives 16mm or 20mm of offset.
Old 09-08-10, 09:29 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 179 Posts
If you are as cheap as I am, I used a conduit bender and added about 50mm to my original steel seat post.

Old 09-08-10, 12:00 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KOBE
If you are as cheap as I am, I used a conduit bender and added about 50mm to my original steel seat post.

Awesome idea. I don't know how well that would work on some of the newer ovalized aluminium posts, but for a straight gauge steelie, that's a great way to do it.
Old 09-08-10, 01:27 PM
Nightshade

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I "think" I got the problem whipped!! Hooray!! I just fitted a length of water pipe inside the post and re-installed it on the bike. With a total wall thickness of 1/4 " now I doubt that it will bend again!!

Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 09-08-10, 05:21 PM
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Now that you have the seat post strength issue solved, what about the set back problem?

Since the bicycle is new, see if you can trade it in for one that is 1 size larger. Bicycle sizes usually come in 2 or 3 cm lengths and the most obvious change is in the seat tube length and the top tube length.
Old 09-08-10, 06:20 PM
Nightshade

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by skilsaw
Now that you have the seat post strength issue solved, what about the set back problem?

Since the bicycle is new, see if you can trade it in for one that is 1 size larger. Bicycle sizes usually come in 2 or 3 cm lengths and the most obvious change is in the seat tube length and the top tube length.
Not possible. Worksman makes two frame sizes, i.e. 18" & 20", so I know that the 20" is to big while I rode an 18" for 10 years at the factory where I retired from. The seatpost issue now is caused by my knee implants restricting (got them early in my retirement) the bend of my knees so the set back of 3 1/2" solved the stroke length just fine.

Then again the bike I have was built to my order making it non-returnable which I would never do. I waited and saved for 4 years to buy that bike !!

Old 09-10-10, 07:01 PM
Nightshade

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I took my first long ride with the new seat set up today. What a feeling of freedom!!! It was great!!

Old 09-11-10, 11:18 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
If the Diameter is right (do you know what diameter your seat post is?) a 1 inch/25.4mm Chrome Moly Steel
seat post has been un bending even with a foot of it exposed above the frame.. I got Mine branded Red Line, Seattle Bike Supply , the Wholesale distributor.
This is a standard type post , for a conventional clamp on saddle clip on the top..

A very nice version of a Saddle clip comes from Brompton The London UK folding bike company.
it is a stepless micro-adjustable angle. with multiplate friction to hold the angle. when tightened.

for larger frame tubes there are aluminum Shims to use 1" seat posts , that being the ID will be an inch.0, though the ID of the seat tube in the frame is larger.
Old 09-11-10, 11:30 AM
Nightshade

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
If the Diameter is right (do you know what diameter your seat post is?) a 1 inch/25.4mm Chrome Moly Steel
seat post has been un bending even with a foot of it exposed above the frame.. I got Mine branded Red Line, Seattle Bike Supply , the Wholesale distributor.
This is a standard type post , for a conventional clamp on saddle clip on the top..

A very nice version of a Saddle clip comes from Brompton The London UK folding bike company.
it is a stepless micro-adjustable angle. with multiplate friction to hold the angle. when tightened.

for larger frame tubes there are aluminum Shims to use 1" seat posts , that being the ID will be an inch.0, though the ID of the seat tube in the frame is larger.
Tube wall thickness as well as using hardened steel is more important than tube size.

The tube size controls the fit only.