Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Do you ride or drive to your gravel ride?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.
View Poll Results: Drive to the ride, or ride from doorstep?
Drive to ride
31.37%
Ride from doorstep
68.63%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-18, 12:59 AM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

I'm in the fortunate position of currently living a few (paved) miles from a 50 mile long gravel trail, but not sure how long this will last. Road riders can typically leave their driveway and ride around and come back. Gravel cyclists often won't have as many ride location options. So when you ride gravel, do you set out from your doorstep or do you drive to where you'll start the ride?
Old 01-21-18, 06:29 AM
Facanh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've built a gravel bike so I can ride more places compared to my road bike. Smooth paved roads, rough paved roads, dirt roads, gravel, singletrack etc. The bike is fun everywhere.

Driving to a gravel road and only riding there seems kind of silly to me. Of course everyone can do what they want, but getting a bike that you can't use "properly" near where you live... Personally I don't see the point.

Last edited by Facanh; 01-21-18 at 06:46 AM.
Old 01-21-18, 07:48 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
Proximity to "gravel" obviously depends on where you live. Mountain bikers have driven to rides for decades. Most road bikers I know regularly drive to club rides. Not something most folks have a choice about.
Old 01-21-18, 08:09 AM
gda659

Bikes: Elephant Bikes NFE, Soulcraft Royale, DeSalvo Team Issue, 96 Stumpjumper Comp, Intense Tracer 29, Rans Rocket, Bike Friday NWT, 1978 Puch Royal X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
both
Old 01-21-18, 08:12 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
I'm lucky to have an outstanding mountain biking/gravel road areas very close to my house. Unfortunately, getting there isn't all that easy. I drive occasionally. I don't like to have to ride back to my car unless there is a good reason.
Old 01-21-18, 08:53 AM
Troy Winter
flyover

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Lemans RS, 1994 Trek 930, All-city Machoman

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 4 Posts
Less than 5 minutes on my bike and I'm on gravel.
Old 01-21-18, 09:15 AM
Big Wally

Bikes: Roubaix Comp, Cutthroat Rival

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gda659
both
+1.
Mostly out my door since two gravel roads are less than a mile away. But when occasionally meeting up with a riding friend in between where we live I haul the bike to the ride. Ditto road riding on my road bike.
Old 01-21-18, 10:50 AM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Facanh
Driving to a gravel road and only riding there seems kind of silly to me. Of course everyone can do what they want, but getting a bike that you can't use "properly" near where you live... Personally I don't see the point.
It's reality for most people living in urban areas. A question of access to gravel, nothing else.
Old 01-21-18, 11:08 AM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Since there isn't any gravel where I live, it's at least an hour drive. But that's OK. Within an hour to the NW I have a huge network of forest service roads - great for climbing but very, very rough. An hour to the NE, I have a huge network of county gravel though farmlands - well groomed and fast. But.. go 2 hrs north and the really fun stuff begins! My location: The suburbs north of Atlanta GA
Old 01-21-18, 11:12 AM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Troy Winter
Less than 5 minutes on my bike and I'm on gravel.
Nice! For me, it would be a minimum 1.5 hr ride, if not longer. There use to be a lot more of it locally, but over the years the city has crept up and surrounded us
Old 01-21-18, 12:07 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
Both.

I have a very short (<3 mile) gravel loop near my apartment. 2 hours west by bike there's above 15 miles or so of gravel roads split into moderate to short segments. 2.5 hours southwest there's about 20 miles of gravel roads split between fairly long segments. Here and there are smaller <1 mile segments but I don't usually plan to to ride those and just take then as I encounter the.

By car, within a two hour drive, I can get to maybe 3-400 miles of gravel or dirt split between 4-5 courses. There's even more gravel and dirt further away but I haven't been much further than 2 hours.

Usually I won't drive to ride gravel unless it's an event, mainly because I don't like driving and if I do drive I like to ride 100+ miles and make a day of it. I can't handle that distance on gravel more than a few times a year so I save them for the the big gravel events I like to do.
Old 01-21-18, 12:52 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Both. I have access to great dirt roads 2.5 or 6.5 miles from my door and I ride them often. In either direction I can choose rides of 10 to 100 miles or more that are at least half unpaved roads. But I like to ride other areas, too and sometimes I'd rather drive to places to meet people and ride than to spend hours riding to them. No rules. Whatever works.
Old 01-21-18, 01:00 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Most rides are solo, and just ride.

Organized rides generally don't start near enough to want to ride to/from.
Old 01-21-18, 01:16 PM
iowa mark

Bikes: GT,Trek,Fuji,and a couple of Schwinns

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
The vast majority of my area is a patchwork of gravel roads with the occasional blacktop slicing through them. I can ride the twenty miles to work every day and only cross paving three times and ride hard surfaces the last half mile.
Old 01-21-18, 05:22 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
I ride my gravel bike right from my doorstep pretty frequently. Most of those rides aren't particularly gravel-heavy, though. Most of the gravel riding is out in the mountains, getting to it adds lots of miles.
Old 01-21-18, 05:25 PM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Both, but I'm often pressed for time and it makes sense to drive the five miles to a parking area from where I'm able to make my ride 99% gravel.
Old 01-22-18, 12:05 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4405 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
Pavement for about 8 miles then gravel. So I just leave and return from my garage.
Old 01-22-18, 10:22 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Most of my rides start and end at the front door, but most of my rides don't involve my tires touching unpaved surfaces.

To ride on (interesting) gravel, I have to drive with my bike.

I don't ride roads because they're not paved, I ride them because they go somewhere I want to be. A lot of roads through a lot of the best places happen to be unpaved here.

But I live in a city on the coast.
Old 01-22-18, 10:59 AM
motrheadsroadie

Bikes: stinner cx, paramount track

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
only posers drive to the trail head.
Old 01-22-18, 11:33 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by Facanh
I've built a gravel bike so I can ride more places compared to my road bike. Smooth paved roads, rough paved roads, dirt roads, gravel, singletrack etc. The bike is fun everywhere.

It isnt about not being able to use the bike properly near where I live though- its about how I want to spend my time when I am going to ride gravel.

I almost always drive to ride gravel. There is no gravel around me for 8mi in any direction. But once the gravel starts, its uninterrupted in all 4 directions for dozens upon dozens(hundreds and hundreds) of miles.

I also ride after work sometimes, so I bring my gravel bike since its just 4 or 5 miles from work before a different swath of hundreds of miles of gravel is available.

I dont want to ride 16miles fo suburban road to get to and from gravel.
Also, driving opens up WAY more. I could spend 30min riding to the same few starting points for gravel, or I could drive 15min and have access to dozens of starting points which then allows for more new riding points.
Old 01-22-18, 11:38 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by vinuneuro
I'm in the fortunate position of currently living a few (paved) miles from a 50 mile long gravel trail, but not sure how long this will last.
Are you referring to the Des Plaines trail as gravel, or are you in the far NW burbs and have access to gravel roads? Just trying to figure out whats out in the NW burbs that would be gravel. Grew up in that corridor.
Old 01-22-18, 12:27 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
mostly drive, mostly cuz I have found so many really interesting trails around the state. but been having fun on some local trails

it is nice just to run out of the house cuz if you get ready & forget something it's kinda obvious. if I pack my car with what I think I want, I might forget something & not realize it until I rig the bike. been there, done that. disappointing
Old 01-22-18, 03:32 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
My 1/2 mile long driveway is gravel...so from my front door, I'm on gravel for the duration of my ride, unless I choose to hit some intersecting pavement along the route. Low traffic, most of the time a decent ride, but no spectacular scenery. Hoping to load up and hit comparatively nearby forest roads when spring is truly here in the upper midwest.
Old 01-22-18, 04:02 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I'm all for riding from the doorstep, and think your bike should reflect that.

I have done plenty of mountain biking, but I chafe at spending 50% of my riding time in the car.

Fortunately there is Gravel all around Detroit (and Michigan in general). Even though one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the country is here - it is loaded with plenty of gravel routes (I thought it was weird when I moved here that the richest neighborhoods didn't pave their streets).
Old 01-22-18, 06:50 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I’m lucky that I can ride out my door and be in gravel in minutes, basically avoiding pavement (except for a few crossings and so forth) for many miles. Nothing wrong with driving though...if I didn’t ever drive to a start, I’d never get to ride more than a few dozen miles from my house.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.