Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Teeny tiny "contest" with a teeny tiny prize.

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-18, 01:28 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts

Seriously. The prize is almost nothing.. just a token. But you'll find out what it is if you win it. But in reality, this "contest" is more about you guys.

To enter the contest, all you have to do is write a paragraph about your most memorable ride on your recumbent.

Post your paragraphs in this thread!!

Contest closes on Saturday, June 9th, 11:59pm
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 06-07-18, 07:12 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
I've had a lot of memorable days on a bent but one of my favorites was on an organized ride in Wisconsin. I started the ride, 45 miles if I recall, with really sore legs. I was riding a Volae high racer and nothing was going right. About 5-6 miles in, I seriously considered cashing it in and returning to the parking lot. I stopped for a moment and thought about things as riders passed asking if I was OK. After 5-10 minutes, I thought to myself, the weather is nice and the scenery is beautiful so just keep pedaling and get to the end, no matter how long it takes.

I got back on the bike and my legs felt a little looser and I passed a few people. Next thing I know, my spin was smooth as butter and I was flying along, enjoying the ride and having a great time. When I finished the ride, I spent a lot of time talking to fellow recumbent owners and looking over some beautiful machines. Later in the day, I went out for another 15-20 miles because I didn't want the day to end. Great day.

BTW, I saw a modded V-Rex on the ride which I later decided might be Blazing Pedal's. Would have been 2004 (?) or so at the Midwest Recumbent Rally in Stevens Point, WI.

Old 06-07-18, 09:12 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Fantastic!! Thanks for participating!

Any others out there?
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 06-08-18, 03:34 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Surely I'm not the only one who has had a good ride on a bent.

Old 06-08-18, 07:31 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
BTW, I saw a modded V-Rex on the ride which I later decided might be Blazing Pedal's. Would have been 2004 (?) or so at the Midwest Recumbent Rally in Stevens Point, WI.
I was at the 2003 rally, and yes I took my V-Rex, which had a new bright yellow powdercoat and was modded with a rear disc brake. My main ride was my Baron, but I rode the V-Rex on Sunday with my friend on a TourEasy.

Unfortunately, that rally was where I fell into the Chicago group's sights, and they stalked me all over the internet for about 2 years. The smack talk stopped only after their 'champion' tried to beat my Black Bear time just to prove how superior he was, and failed pretty convincingly.

I've gone on a few forum-sponsored rides over the years. I did two BikeJournal Reunion rides, one in Illinois and one in New York. Last year I did the Smokey Mountain Recumbent Rally. I also did the BikeForums 50+ gathering a few years back, including a group ride the day before Helluva Ride. Great memories and great people. If you do a ride like that, the folks you meet become actual faces instead of just an icon on the Internet.

Can I name one ride that was "most memorable?" Nope.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
vrex2003.jpg (43.6 KB, 82 views)
Old 06-09-18, 02:00 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
My most memorable ride on a recumbent was the very first one I ever took. I literally had never even sat on a recumbent until after I Paypaled (verb) four figures worth of disposable income to an offshore manufacturer of semi-custom recumbent bicycles and received a large box of recumbent bicycle parts and a frame in return. I took my time with the build out to make sure I got everything right. Most operations were familiar from decades of doing my own bike repairs. Some operations, like sizing and cutting 10' of continuous chain links to the proper length, were new procedures. I should mention at this point that the recumbent in question was not a mild mannered LWB Tour Easy or Easy Racer, it was a SWB Highracer named Saki. I was beguiled by her curves and flashy makeup and gave little thought to whether or not my aging reflexes and arthritic knees were up to the task of taming this shrew. Love is like that sometimes. On another recumbent forum it was suggested to find a sloped area away from traffic for the first ride(s) and this I did. I don't know if it was the first run or the second, but I do remember that on the very first day in the recumbent riding position that I did achieve that magic moment where you are flying under (some) control and the capsizes (of which there have been several) didn't come until later ...
Old 06-10-18, 06:00 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I don't know if it was the first run or the second, but I do remember that on the very first day in the recumbent riding position that I did achieve that magic moment where you are flying under (some) control and the capsizes (of which there have been several) didn't come until later ...

Old 06-10-18, 05:36 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Okay, contest closed. Thank you for playing! Please stay tuned for announcement of winners!
Old 06-14-18, 03:18 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Congrats to Leisesturm !! You have won a free upgraded membership!
Old 06-19-18, 02:03 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

OUR APOLOGIES. THE EMAIL TO GET THE PARTICIPATION PRIZE IS ibthomas@bikeforums.net

Please try to resend your addresses.

Thank you