Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Charity Events
Reload this Page >

MS City To Shore NJ anyone riding here

Notices
Charity Events Whether you're looking for riders, sponsors, or volunteers, this is the place to tell the world that cyclists can make a difference.

Old 07-14-16, 10:36 AM
TKJava

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Kestrel RT1000 Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

I've signed up for my second MS city to shore ride. Unfortunately I have yet to do it as last year it was canceled due to a hurricane. Hopefully this year will be good.
Old 07-18-16, 07:33 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,277 Times in 7,225 Posts
Last year I decided to retire from the event after 23 consecutive years (I even put up many of the road signs for numerous years and was one of the top fundraisers for several years), and then the thing got cancelled, which, by the way, was the right call. With potentially more than 7,000 riders, it's become too crazy for my liking.

My advice:

Arrive very early, especially if you are driving. Be ready to start early. You may find yourself in one of those cattle pen starting areas for 45 min. That happened to me twice in the last three years, which is a major reason I won't be back. I am not a cow and don't want to be treated like one. One way you can get around this is bring lights and start with the century group even if you are not doing the century. If it's too dark for your liking, you can always ride a mile and then pull over and wait for more light in the residential neighborhood the ride first passes through. The key is to get out of the start early.

Ride cautiously and defensively. Expect people to do the dumbest things you can imagine.

Blow off the first rest stop if you can. The second one isn't that much farther along on the course. Doing so will likely result in you leapfrogging over a large portion of the crowd.

Do not, under any circumstances, lay your bike on the ground at a rest stop. It very well could get stepped on by tried, inattentive people. Lean it somewhere stable and out of the way so it doesn't get knocked over.

If you decide to skip a rest stop, pass by the entrance with care. Over the year I saw a lot of crashes where people going into and coming out of rest stops got tangled up with people continuing on.

If you have a mechanical or stop for any reason, move yourself and your bike entirely off the road/shoulder or at least as far to the right as possible if there is a guard rail. I cannot tell you the number of people I have seen taking up shoulders to address flats.

The hot dogs at the finish will taste divine.
Old 08-10-16, 01:27 PM
phillypino215

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i signed up for the century. i did it once before two years ago. super flat ride...
Old 08-12-16, 07:19 PM
side_FX

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by phillypino215
i signed up for the century. i did it once before two years ago. super flat ride...
Super flat for sure, but some of those headwinds can be pretty tough once you get into O.C. itself. Great ride if you get nice weather!!!!!
Old 08-14-16, 07:25 AM
jeneralist 

Bikes: DOST Kope CVT e-bike; Bilenky Ti Tourlite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 23 Posts
TKJava, what distance did you sign up for?

And do you have a link to your fundraising page?

I've done that ride about 5 times, each time doing the two-day (150-175 mile) version. The support on the ride is incredible. My first time doing the ride, I had the bolt that holds the saddle on the bike break -- the SAG folks had me back on my way inside of ten minutes.
Old 08-14-16, 02:45 PM
TKJava

Originally Posted by jeneralist

I've done that ride about 5 times, each time doing the two-day (150-175 mile) version. The support on the ride is incredible. My first time doing the ride, I had the bolt that holds the saddle on the bike break -- the SAG folks had me back on my way inside of ten minutes.
My wife and team are signed up for the single day which is roughly 80 miles. A few more are added at the end to get to the house we all rented. For my link I hope this works:
https://secure.nationalmssociety.org...essfundraising

Old 08-15-16, 11:00 AM
indyfabz

Even if you sign up for the century you can still opt out. They just want a general idea of how many people will be doing each route. Note the century starting group heads out while it's still dark. A light my be a good idea.

And there are some hills. Kresson Rd. on the first leg has some. Maybe 1.5 miles after you cross Rte. 73 you start a sustained climbing section, but nothing is steep. The 16.5 miles from Kresson to the first rest stop has about 360' of climbing. And, of course, don't forget the two bridges that take you into Ocean City. Saw plenty of people walk over the years.
Old 08-27-16, 01:15 PM
side_FX

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Just a quick thought to be aware of your fatigue factor on the second day. I was riding into Cherry Hill at the very end of the ride on the second day when I had to slow down for a red light. I had thought I was well versed in proper unclipping from the pedals, but I didn't relate how spent I was. I slowed down and starting weaving into the pack of other riders waiting at the light when I realized I couldn't unclip. I slowed to a stop and did a graceful sideways drop, with my front tire hitting the back tire of some 9 yr old riding with her dad. They both looked at me like "what's your problem" and I just said sorry and felt real dumb. Saw the sideways tumbles many times at the various checkpoints, always be on alert for those!
Old 08-29-16, 08:05 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by side_FX
I slowed down and starting weaving into the pack of other riders waiting at the light....

Great example of one reason I retired from the ride. It's especially annoying when slower riders weave their way to the front of the pack at a light. When the light turns green, the faster riders have to pass them again.

Swarming cars at lights is another example of bad behavior. For years I used vacation days on the Friday before the event to put out most of the safety and other signs you see along the route. Get out of the car, grab a sign from the back seat, place it in the ground, get back in the car, drive a couple of miles, get out of the car, grab another sign, place it in the ground, get back in the car...lather, rinse, repeat for some 50 miles.

Those signs included "Don't Swarm Cars", which are placed at the crossings of major highways where the lights are long. Yet without fail people would swarm cars. Imagine if it were you in your car waiting at a light at, say, U.S. 322 and all of a sudden you have 20 or more cyclists surrounding your vehicle.
Old 08-29-16, 03:43 PM
side_FX

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Great example of one reason I retired from the ride. It's especially annoying when slower riders weave their way to the front of the pack at a light. When the light turns green, the faster riders have to pass them again.

Swarming cars at lights is another example of bad behavior. For years I used vacation days on the Friday before the event to put out most of the safety and other signs you see along the route. Get out of the car, grab a sign from the back seat, place it in the ground, get back in the car, drive a couple of miles, get out of the car, grab another sign, place it in the ground, get back in the car...lather, rinse, repeat for some 50 miles.

Those signs included "Don't Swarm Cars", which are placed at the crossings of major highways where the lights are long. Yet without fail people would swarm cars. Imagine if it were you in your car waiting at a light at, say, U.S. 322 and all of a sudden you have 20 or more cyclists surrounding your vehicle.
I guess it's the price you pay for having such a well attended and organzed ride. I applaud you for being part of the setup crew. The route was always well marked and there would be no possible way to get lost.

The crowd was something that caught me off guard on my first ride. I trained for weeks before the ride by doing solo rides whenever I could. I never realized I'd be caught between disorganized wandering fools AND well organized pelotons screaming by at top speed. It was fun and terrifying at the same time.
Old 08-30-16, 05:10 AM
indyfabz

I never realized I'd be caught between disorganized wandering fools AND well organized pelotons screaming by at top speed. It was fun and terrifying at the same time.
That's another very big problem. You have too many people who are hell bent on riding the way they want to regardless of the immediate conditions around them. They refuse to slow down for a second for anything. The result is that you see people doing things like riding across the double yellow line, even on blind curves. My last year some guy was so opposed to slowing down while taking a left turn that he tried to pass me on the right when riders to my left were blocking his path. I was so far right already that he ended up brushing against the foliage and riding in gravel to the right of me. He came within about an inch of hitting my bars and nearly wiped out in the gravel, which would have taken me out with him. I can no longer tolerate being terrified by others. I ride from New Hope, PA to Brooklyn every year and feel safer.
Old 09-27-16, 09:06 AM
TKJava

Originally Posted by jeneralist

Hello and thanks again for your donation! The ride was this past Saturday and it was great! The weather mostly cooperated being that it was cool out and cloudy and no rain. I could not believe how well the course was managed and staffed. Each rest area was quite lively and colorful with all the team jersey's and what not. We got going just after the sun was up and made it to lunch at 9:30. The finish line was filled with people cheering on the teams it was quite exciting. I'm certainly in for next year as well. I was also happy I trained as much as I did I had plenty of gas in the tank when I got to the 2 bridges at the end of the ride. Although not really that steep of a climb they were quite windy. All-in-all a terrific day!
Old 09-27-16, 09:14 AM
TKJava

The crowd was something that caught me off guard on my first ride. I trained for weeks before the ride by doing solo rides whenever I could. I never realized I'd be caught between disorganized wandering fools AND well organized pelotons screaming by at top speed. It was fun and terrifying at the same time.
I have to agree regarding what could be referred to as pelotons. There were a few large teams of riders who for the most part were riding in tight formation. You can get trapped in the group for a while and if your not used to riding 6 to 8 inches from someone else's handlebar it can be a little unnerving for sure. It was the first time I ever got to experience drafting and what a difference. It can take what feels like effortless pedaling up 3-5 MPH for sure. Overall it was quite a fun day.
Old 09-29-16, 07:21 AM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
That's another very big problem. You have too many people who are hell bent on riding the way they want to regardless of the immediate conditions around them. They refuse to slow down for a second for anything. The result is that you see people doing things like riding across the double yellow line, even on blind curves.
Agreed. There are too many yahoos riding fast unsafely, and too many noobs riding slow obliviously. In short, too many riders. Plus I find the ride to be PITA in other ways, like waiting in the long line of bikes stopped on the shoulder single-file alongside the cars stopped single-file (idling away) at one intersection when you first get to the shore's wetlands.

It's a good cause and all that, but I no longer enjoy it, so I no longer ride it. I did work the Subaru-sponsored rest stop in Mays Landing this year, tho - mixed and served a lot of Gatorade. And helped some poor soul find her lost bike.
Old 04-29-17, 01:41 AM
jeanettebcrivel

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! thats great. All the best.
Old 09-22-17, 07:17 PM
side_FX

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I remember years past when it was rainy, cold, and totally demoralizing. This year it's 90 degrees and sunny? Wow!!

Stay hydrated my friends!!!!
Old 09-26-17, 10:11 AM
TKJava

I remember years past when it was rainy, cold, and totally demoralizing. This year it's 90 degrees and sunny? Wow!!

Stay hydrated my friends!!!!
Yes, last year I recall shivering for the first 10 minutes out of each rest stop. This year I don't think it could have been nicer. It was about 68 degrees staring out at 7:00 AM and maybe 90 at the end with just enough breeze to keep you comfortable and not so much that you fought it. The course was just a bit shorter this year also.
Old 10-08-17, 08:37 PM
Tomodachi

Bikes: Giant Defy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad it was much nicer this year.
Old 08-02-18, 03:55 PM
phillypino215

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anyone doing the ride this year? i'm signed up for the century again. one of these years i want to do both days. my family hall pass usually expires after 24 hours though...
Old 08-03-18, 02:18 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by phillypino215
one of these years i want to do both days
The second day is remarkably nicer due to the much smaller crowd. As noted above, I retired from the event after 23 consecutive years. My old team keeps trying to get me to come back. Don't know if I ever will. It's late this year due to the way the days fall. I am often out on a week-long, self contained tour when the event rolls around, but that won't be the case this year. The captain of my former team has MS and does a lot of volunteer work for the society. She checks in the volunteers Saturday morning, does work at the finish later in the day and arranges housing and dinner for the team in Ocean City. Then she volunteers at the finish on Sunday. I very well may help her this year since I should be in town.
Old 08-05-18, 06:40 PM
Makers72

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As someone who was diagnosed with MS 5 years ago, i would like to thank everyone participating in this event.

Let's find a cure!
Old 08-12-18, 01:29 PM
Msteck

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm participating this year. It will be my first century, and charity ride.

I got into cycling just at the end of last summer, and have been looking forward to this for nearly a year now. Hopefully I'm not biting off more then I can chew.