Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

What free SW do you use for your indoor training? How? Why?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

What free SW do you use for your indoor training? How? Why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-18, 04:36 AM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
I used external controls with a smart trainer for my intervals and found it to be more of a problem than benefit, but probably depends on what workouts you are doing and why. For me doing lots Steady State 3x20s / 4x15s etc I like to come in from the bottom side of my target power for the first one, and the target is set high enough that I fade near the end and have to drop power to keep going. I also use my breathing along with the bike computer to see how i'm doing staying in the target zone. A smart trainer with external control won't let you do this, it just keep ramping up the power if you back off and eventually grind to a stop. Now I just use the smart trainer to set resistance so I'm in the middle of the cassette near the target power, that way I can shift with small steps in RPMs to manage power output. I can keep my power much more stable and consistently at the target on my own than I can letting the trainer do it's thing to manage power. Using this approach I also have learned much better how to manage my efforts off the trainer through just listening to my body.

Last edited by srode1; 12-18-18 at 04:40 AM.
Old 12-18-18, 10:49 AM
fstrnu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very interesting. Sounds like a solid process. I'm very interested in trying this! Thanks for sharing it
Old 12-18-18, 12:04 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by srode1
I used external controls with a smart trainer for my intervals and found it to be more of a problem than benefit, but probably depends on what workouts you are doing and why. For me doing lots Steady State 3x20s / 4x15s etc I like to come in from the bottom side of my target power for the first one, and the target is set high enough that I fade near the end and have to drop power to keep going. I also use my breathing along with the bike computer to see how i'm doing staying in the target zone. A smart trainer with external control won't let you do this, it just keep ramping up the power if you back off and eventually grind to a stop. Now I just use the smart trainer to set resistance so I'm in the middle of the cassette near the target power, that way I can shift with small steps in RPMs to manage power output. I can keep my power much more stable and consistently at the target on my own than I can letting the trainer do it's thing to manage power. Using this approach I also have learned much better how to manage my efforts off the trainer through just listening to my body.
Zwift(and TR) let you adjust intensity +/- 10% during an interval in erg mode
Old 12-18-18, 12:37 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have an old non-smart fluid trainer. If I want to increase the resistance, all I have to do is pedal harder. I started off by just doing the same workouts I would outdoors, with wattage targets written on a piece of tape stuck to my stem. I would use a Garmin Ant+ dongle to track it on a laptop with Golden Cheetah. Or I'd just do the GCN workouts on YouTube.

This year, I got AppleTV to work in the garage properly and I just do Zwift canned workouts. They're all variations on the same theme.
Old 12-19-18, 10:33 AM
fstrnu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol

Originally Posted by redlude97
Old 12-19-18, 04:05 PM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
I tried that several times, it just never really worked all that well for me. Changing the resistance from my phone when I'm getting close to exhaustion and my laptop was never in reach with my layout was a pain. The other problem is when you have any issue with signal drop for a few seconds, it can start ramping up the power. Also if you want to get out of the saddle on long intervals like 3x25's to give your rear a break, the trainer can respond in a way that is not helpful at all, over correcting. Of course, these were my experiences with erg mode, lots of folks love it. I do like using Ergmode for ramp tests.

Last edited by srode1; 12-19-18 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-28-18, 08:25 AM
fstrnu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On-topic response list updated in OP.
Old 12-29-18, 02:05 PM
Athens80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by newduguy
I've used Zwift and it's fun, but I really detest rent-seeking services. It's why I cancelled Trainerroad after about 4 months.
You detest paying monthly for monthly service. That's fine.

"Rent-seeking" is different. Zwift and TrainerRoad are not rent-seeking. As described on Investopedia:
Rent-seeking occurs when an individual or business attempts to make money from its resources without using those resources to benefit society or generate wealth. One of the most common ways companies engage in rent-seeking is by using their capital to influence politicians. Politicians decide the laws and regulations that govern industry and how government subsidies are to be distributed. If a company succeeds in receiving subsidies or in getting laws passed that restrict competition and create new barriers to entry for an industry, it has increased its share of existing wealth without increasing the total of that wealth. Moreover, it has earned income without being productive or putting its capital at risk.
Old 12-31-18, 04:43 PM
newduguy

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, I detest monthly services, however I still use a couple, just not cycling software. I don't see why someone would pay a yearly subscription for training plans, a la TR, especially if they're doing the same plans over and over again.

While I wasn't using "rent-seeking" in its literal sense. In my opinion, the subscription based payment method in exchange for zero software ownership and incremental service upgrades and inevitable and perpetual monthly fee increases is terrible in my mind. I'd rather see Zwift go the route of other popular online games and make it free to play with additional in-game purchases. You already have a problem of virtual dopers and masses of people who don't know how to use or calibrate their PMs and trainers properly, so it's a crapshoot on rider experience anyways.

And now it looks like Rouvy and several other shop's are getting into the virtual cycling business. Soon you'll have a dozen subscriptions to choose from, and it'll be like how tv streaming is. If you wan't a little of everything, you need Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Crunchy Roll, and maybe Sling/DirectTV now. So with cycling, you can pay money for ERG-based training(TR, Sufferfest, Rouvy, other apps), pay more money for ERGVideos, and then pay even more for virtual racing a la Zwift. Or just do all of that (minus the social racing aspect of Zwift) in older, not so "cool" or glamorous software that may not how all of the latest and greatest bells and whistles.

​​​​​​​So pay your subscriptions! Please! I do sign up for free trials a few times out of the year to see how things have progressed.
Old 01-01-19, 03:13 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by newduguy
I'd rather see Zwift go the route of other popular online games and make it free to play with additional in-game purchases. You already have a problem of virtual dopers and masses of people who don't know how to use or calibrate their PMs and trainers properly, so it's a crapshoot on rider experience anyways.
Your rider experience for indoor training is a crapshoot based on whether or not some other people are "cheating" on an online training platform? Why is that?
Old 01-02-19, 05:44 PM
newduguy

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Your rider experience for indoor training is a crapshoot based on whether or not some other people are "cheating" on an online training platform? Why is that?
If you're the type to use Zwift races as training sessions and have invested time (and money) in the platform, having other people cheat within the race can have a negative impact. That may not matter to you. It may not matter to me. It matters to some, I'm sure. Leader boards are real motivators.

We all use software differently to train. OP is like a religious fundie (no offence to religious fundies!) with his interval-worship and apparent love of training rides that are as fun as watching paint dry. I like a mix, but I don't subscribe to anything. Let me do intervals today. Let me do a 3d course tomorrow. Let me ride just so I can get some time in the saddle. I can do all of those very well with free software. But no, there's no social aspect, a la Zwift, nor is there a huge catalog of training plans and a searchable workout database a la Trainerroad. By the way, TR's mobile app is hands-down my favorite. It's slick and clean, and how they show the +/- workouts below the workout description is brilliant. I would love to see that functionality in an open-source package. The open-source community still can't put together a decent ERG database with coherent plans, so paying for that is the only way to get it right now....or do it yourself.

Give me a family plan for Zwift like Spotify does (I think Rouvy is doing a multi-rider deal). If TR went back to 9.99 a month or less, I still might pay. But even then I find trouble justifying it since I make my own ERG files and follow their podcast.

While I'm anti-subscription, I still pay them when there's value. I get convenience. However, I am not the norm.
Old 01-08-19, 11:46 AM
fstrnu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone familar with Elite MyTraining who would care to share their experience? Someone mentioned in another thread that this is free.
Old 01-10-19, 03:13 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by fstrnu
OP updated with a list of on-topic responses.
You missed my response.
Old 01-10-19, 06:29 AM
fstrnu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
You missed my response.
The topic is free SW that people are using.
Old 01-10-19, 06:45 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by fstrnu

The topic is free SW that people are using.
Yes. Exactly. My point.

Last edited by Machka; 01-10-19 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-27-19, 08:53 PM
fstrnu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone have experience with these?

https://maximumtrainer.com/home

Hurts Ergo

ERG Video