Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Let's talk recovery after hard workouts

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-19, 06:08 PM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts

There's quite a bit of discussion on forums and from coaching companies about workouts for different focus areas, but I rarely if ever see much in the way of discussion on recovery which is at least as important. Curious what others are doing to maximize benefit from their workouts.

For me, I drink a Whey Protein and a Banana smoothie immediately after the workout, then do 30 minutes in a sauna, and eat a balanced meal within a couple hours. That night I'll take some Casein protein an hour before bed, and try to get 8 to 9 hours of sleep that night I try to get that much sleep every night though too). The next day is normally a recovery ride less than an hour, Breakfast and lunch are on the light carb side, then an evening meal rich in carbs to fuel the following day workout.
Old 01-10-19, 06:21 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
The longer I race, the less I do. I'm pretty much to the point of doing nothing these days.

I don't cool down. I don't eat anything special or at all after short, hard races or workouts. I'll eat whatever's for lunch after a big weekend ride.

I think recovery rides are a complete waste of time for me and don't ever do any z1 rides, and do very few z2 rides except for some possible morning commutes with z3/4 on the return trip. I just try to get as much work done as I can in whatever time I have.

Sleep is 6-8 hours, usually interrupted 1-3x a night by my 2 year old that doesn't sleep more than a few hours at a time.

Contrast this to in the past where I did everything previously mentioned, including 20-30 minutes of foam rolling/massage, whey proteins, lots of vitamins, easy spins, elevated legs, etc.

I'm faster now. Eh, maybe I'd be faster still by doing the recovery stuff again, but I don't particularly care and I don't get sore and I don't train enough to get too much cumulative fatigue.

Anyway, probably quite different for everyone depending on history and background and genetics and level of concern.
Old 01-10-19, 06:45 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
How hard of "workouts" or "training" is the OP talking here? I spend like 15% of a typical day at or above Z4-- but I don't really have much in the way of time constraints, nor do I view riding as training... beyond today's ride maybe as training for tomorrow's. I'm the guy out there doing all of the Z2 rides that @rubiksoval isn't doing. Somebody's gotta.

Rest days? What are those? I don't do anything special in the way of recovery after rides. I eat lunch (try to get enough protein, because I usually don't in general,) sit and watch some YouTube. The only recovery would be eating more than I feel like after doing say 80+ miles.
Old 01-10-19, 07:12 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by srode1
There's quite a bit of discussion on forums and from coaching companies about workouts for different focus areas, but I rarely if ever see much in the way of discussion on recovery which is at least as important. Curious what others are doing to maximize benefit from their workouts.

For me, I drink a Whey Protein and a Banana smoothie immediately after the workout, then do 30 minutes in a sauna, and eat a balanced meal within a couple hours. That night I'll take some Casein protein an hour before bed, and try to get 8 to 9 hours of sleep that night I try to get that much sleep every night though too). The next day is normally a recovery ride less than an hour, Breakfast and lunch are on the light carb side, then an evening meal rich in carbs to fuel the following day workout.
You do all that after ... what kind of ride?

If I'm out for a 40 or 50 km ride, I'm not likely to do much of anything special in the way of recovery. But if I'm out for a century or longer, I might ...
Old 01-10-19, 07:23 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
My favourite recovery strategy after a hard gym session is a lower intensity bike ride the next day, walking is also good.
Old 01-10-19, 08:08 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Sleep, food and time are the main drivers of recovery IMO. Everything else has a minor, if any, effect.
Old 01-10-19, 08:15 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
In general, right after a ride, I drink a muscle milk. I usually go to the gym and do a steam / shower, roll and stretch and hang my legs on the wall. I put on recovery tights for the gym. After, I may use Power Dots which are a neuromuscular stimulator.

Rarely but on occasion I get a massage. I would like to get an O2 generator. I think that is kick ass for recovery - increase O2 intake.

As far as recovery rides, it is a meh for me. I find they make my ass sore because I spin fast with little to any power and to keep the power low, I do them on the rollers.

Also, there is the Hermes first law of the conservation of weight which states that all human weight in the universe is conserved. So one mans gain is another mans loss. Also, there is the conservation of Zs. I do not do much z1 or z2 so someone else has to do my z1 and z2. I hope it is my competitors.
Old 01-10-19, 10:09 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I exercise every day, unless I'm ill or injured or just feel really tired. So maybe about once every 6 months or so, I might take a day off.

However, my exercise intensity and duration vary.

One day I might do a long, hard bicycle ride ... the next day I might do a short walk.

If I've put in some effort, I'll often want a hot shower, glass of water, and a dinner with a few more calories. Otherwise it is just business as usual.
Old 01-10-19, 11:41 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I don't think there's any benefit to having a complex system of cycling nutrients. You don't need to get a certain amount of protein immediately after a ride, and if you get the right amount of protein for you on a daily basis, that's all their is to it.

If a ride (or other exercise) is especially intense and uses up a lot of your glycogen, you'll replenish it more quickly by eating carbs within an hour or so. OtgOtherw timing isn't very important.
Old 01-11-19, 05:12 AM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
How hard of "workouts" or "training" is the OP talking here? I spend like 15% of a typical day at or above Z4-- but I don't really have much in the way of time constraints, nor do I view riding as training... beyond today's ride maybe as training for tomorrow's.
I do intervals 3x a week and have 1 day rest between where I do upper body and core work and a easy spin. The Intervals are Intervals are various with 60 to 75 minutes steady state intensity like 4 or 5x15 etc. I also do a Z2 ride of 3 to 3 hours once a week. I have plenty of time available being retired.

Originally Posted by Hermes
Also, there is the Hermes first law of the conservation of weight which states that all human weight in the universe is conserved. So one mans gain is another mans loss. Also, there is the conservation of Zs. I do not do much z1 or z2 so someone else has to do my z1 and z2. I hope it is my competitors.
LOL, I like that!
Old 02-18-19, 05:33 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4410 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts
Ham and cheese sandwich with wheat bread usually two of them. I don’t know why but but that seems to work
Old 02-18-19, 09:14 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
Beer.
Old 02-19-19, 05:59 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4410 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts
After a Mon and Tue ride I feel like I got hit by a truck this is week 4 after a 5 month no ride. So a cup of hot coffee and 3 ibuprofens and the local San Antonio local news. Today is cold and rainy so a forced recovery day which I need anyways. I’m 51 but feel 21 most of the time
Old 02-19-19, 07:23 AM
fstrnu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sex
Old 02-19-19, 07:30 AM
ctpres

Location: Creede CO in summer & Okeechobee, FL or TX Gulf Coast in winter

Bikes: Zenetto Stealth road bike & Sundeal M7 MTN bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
Beer.
Beer on ice.
Old 02-19-19, 10:43 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I use a recovery drink after a hard ride or workout. I take recovery days when I need them, which is before a very strenuous ride or when I just get too tired. I don't necessarily, or even frequently, take a day off after a hard workout. I usually try to get my TSB (tiredness score) into substantial negative territory and leave it there for a few days in a row, then take a day off. I might do a recovery ride if I haven't been getting enough pedaling time, but that's pretty rare. It's usually just a day off. The object of my game is to get tired and stay tired for a while. Forcing myself to recover from day to day without a substantial rest improves my endurance.