Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Looks like NiteRider has new taillights

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Looks like NiteRider has new taillights

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-19, 02:34 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by 01 CAt Man Do
Auto dimming?....Nope, don't want one of those. I'll use my remote thank you. Why would I worry about a car behind me if I'm using a 500 lumen front lamp? The person driving the car is going to see hundreds of vehicles with 10x that much light on a routine basis. Don't know why you would call these "super flashlights". Yeah, some are bright when used on high but even at maximum output they aren't that annoying unless they are on some type of irritating strobe mode or pointed directly at you.

That said, last night I encountered someone using something like that. First thing I noticed was the guy was riding on the wrong side of the road. Secondly, the lamp he was using was set on a typically irritating disco-strobe type mode. While not as bring as something like the old MS-808's it was still damn bright, damn irritating and pointed straight at me. When he passed I could see he was using some type of small self-contained single emitter ( flashlight-like, for lack of a better term ) lamp. Likely something in the 100-200 lumen range but that was too much light on strobe for that time of night ( and the fact that he was on the wrong side of the road to boot... ). While all this irritated me for all of the 15 sec. it took for us to cross paths, in retrospect it really wasn't all that much of a big deal. Thinking this over, I'd rather be irritated briefly than be driving along and suddenly see a person riding a bike on my side of the road at the last second. That guy got seen well before he was in my danger zone. In my opinion, his safety trumps my momentary irritation so I'll not let it bother me too much. Would of been better though if he was on the proper side of the road and using a flash that was only 60 or so lumen. In the day, the 100-200 lumen would of been fine.
No, no. You don't want lights blinding motorists (or fellow cyclist) ever. For one, it endangers them and you. And second, as cyclist we need to cooperate and work with motorist, not against them.

Besides, all it take is one of two unfortunate mishaps blamed on bright lights and we all have to suffer the evil hand of government regulation encroaching into our largely free past-time/sport/hobby.

I don't know about you but I think law enforcement has enough to worry about than spending time pulling over and giving tickets to cyclist.