Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Prep for paint

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Prep for paint

Old 10-01-18, 09:34 AM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
a mask good enough for rattlecan paint jobs is not that expensive. 3m sells a really nice mask with many options for filtering. They will work for catalyzed urethane for a while. The fact that they fail silently after some period of use is problematic.

You want a mask that will take filters for VOC, they have activated charcoal
There should be a colour/life indicator somewhere on the cartridge that changes colour with exposure to the chemicals you are trying to filter out. It's kind of like reading litmus paper, so you can choose how far along the filtration cycle is good for you. I usually toss mine at about the 75% used mark.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/worker-h...por-cartridge/
Old 10-01-18, 10:36 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
Thanks for pointing that out, I was not aware of those markers.

AFAIK, nobody rates their cartridges for use with isocyanates so I feel like they wouldn't put detection strips on it for that. However, from what I read after this thread started, they stop working for VOC before they stop working for isocyanates, so maybe it's okay. Take that as internet wisdom though, wasn't from an authoritative source My asthma annoys me enough that I'm not taking risks with something like that, as enticing as the thought of saving $400 might be
Old 10-06-18, 08:04 AM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
I'm fortunate to live in a climate that's agreeable for painting outdoors. I set up some plastic screens on one side of my patio and have at it. There is lots of venting and airflow. When shooting the clear when my head may be in the overspray, I hold my breath and get in there and spray fast and then I back off. I use a charcoal mask, not a fresh air setup. I've spent some time in automotive paint shops and have seen them shoot small panel repairs using just a charcoal mask on their downdraft primer area. I questioned this and they said it meets their safety requirements. Anyway, as just an occasional user this is what I do. I don't recommend this for anyone else of course, just sharing a data point and my reasoning.
Old 01-16-19, 12:35 PM
Greener Cycles

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know it's been awhile but I finally painted my bike and it went nowhere near according to plan. After pricing automotive paint and then proper respirators I decided to use bike enamel. Then the bike enamel site didn't have some of the paints I wanted and I didn't want to wait. I ended up using Rustoleum Professional Enamel in rattle cans. Since I was doing a couple of different colors, I sprayed the grey first then the blue then finally the green. When I thought I was done with color, I went to spray non-professional Rustoleum clear enamel and the color immediately started to crack and bubble - the paint guy at Home Depot was wrong, they don't work together. Luckily I saw the bubbling quickly and stopped. I re-sanded those areas and resprayed the color.

Overall, even though it looks nothing like I originally imagined, I'm happy with how it came out. It's still really a 5' paint job but I'm fine with that. If I ever build another frame, I'll put more effort into the paint.
Old 01-16-19, 12:36 PM
Greener Cycles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mistake post.
Old 01-16-19, 12:38 PM
Greener Cycles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

And here's a pic. Again, if you don't look too closely it doesn't look bad.
Old 01-16-19, 04:35 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,835 Times in 2,293 Posts
GC- Even if I squint I can still see the colors and pattern

While not my cup of tea I'm glad you're good with both the work and the results. My next frame will go against my better judgment and get PCed due to cost and how it will get used. Andy
Old 01-16-19, 05:10 PM
Greener Cycles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
GC- Even if I squint I can still see the colors and pattern

While not my cup of tea I'm glad you're good with both the work and the results. My next frame will go against my better judgment and get PCed due to cost and how it will get used. Andy
Well, if I do another frame it will likely be Ti so I won't paint at all. If I do a steel frame, realistically there's a good chance I'd have it powder coated. At least I'd look long and hard into that option.
Old 01-17-19, 05:49 PM
pwyg

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Aside from sandblasting, is there a quick way to clean up a frame in prep from paint? Right now I am sanding the thing and it is time consuming and I need to prime it tomorrow. Ideas?
On bare steel you can give it a hcl wipe down . This will quickly remove carbon, rust in varing degrees of severity. Just rinse with very cold water and dry quickly. A great source of weak hcl is toilet bowl cleaner get the watery stuff not the gel or thick versions snobowl is what I was taught on. We would clean all our tubes, lugs and fittings in it before brazing. Just do not leave parts in too long or they will get eaten by the acid. This was a hand me trick from one of my predecessors and the great grandfather of a few of us MN frame builders Cecil Behringer
Old 01-17-19, 06:05 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
HCl may be fine for steel cleanup before brazing but I wouldn't use it before paint without neutralizing. Phosphoric acid on the other hand is a good option.
Old 01-28-19, 06:49 PM
Chopin

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some great advice here!