Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Drivers Should Look Left Before Opening Door

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Drivers Should Look Left Before Opening Door

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-19, 05:12 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by adablduya
with all due respect to your opinion, i call BS on that one. there's a guy laying on the ground, (presumably) quite injured after a crash at speed into an unexpected opening car door, (presumably) in great pain. honestly, you think his predominant thoughts at that time are "am i responsible / liable for my predicament, or is the driver who opened his door into the path i could (and should) have been avoiding ?" i doubt that laying there injured is NOT the time to be evaluating who was at fault ....
If the rider in question thinks they are seriously injured, I do think a whole lot of people are going to be thinking "what's this gonna cost and who's paying?." It's probably what I'd be thinking. Especially if could hear the wail of an ambulance siren. A trip to the ER is not inexpensive.
Old 01-14-19, 05:25 PM
adablduya

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
If the rider in question thinks they are seriously injured, I do think a whole lot of people are going to be thinking "what's this gonna cost and who's paying?." It's probably what I'd be thinking. Especially if could hear the wail of an ambulance siren. A trip to the ER is not inexpensive.
if a cyclist is laying injured on the ground after a collision with a car door, i'm sure a million thoughts are flying thru his head, admittedly. in my opinion, i would imagine the most pressing thought(s) would be along the lines of "i'm in alot of f-ing pain", or "how bad am i hurt ?". if he is wondering what it's going to cost and who is going to pay, those are thoughts he should have been having with himself before he mounted his bike, and certainly before he chose to ride in a door zone (in other words, having insurance). my whole point and opinion was that in the event of that collision with a car door, a cyclist will likely be having more pressing concerns than who is at fault, such as worrying about his own condition and injuries. THAT is the point.
Old 01-14-19, 05:59 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
I know the party line of a certain crowd is that hitting a car door will lead to death, or worse, missing classes or work.

“Finding Dooree” is a great movie.

When in doubt, blame the.....

(Less paperwork.)

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 01-14-19 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-17-19, 10:26 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
Let's re-direct this conversation away from the liability issues, contentious as they are. The reason I started this thread was not to point fingers or have a witch hunt.

My thought is, how do we educate drivers so that they voluntarily choose safer options that protect cyclists? This was my take away from the NY Times article to which I posted a link.

My point is, cyclists voluntarily do lots to accommodate drivers. Drivers should reciprocate by doing lots to accommodate cyclists. Share the road, and all that.

Last edited by parkbrav; 01-17-19 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-17-19, 03:29 PM
adablduya

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by parkbrav
Let's re-direct this conversation away from the liability issues, contentious as they are. The reason I started this thread was not to point fingers or have a witch hunt.

My thought is, how do we educate drivers so that they voluntarily choose safer options that protect cyclists? This was my take away from the NY Times article to which I posted a link.

My point is, cyclists voluntarily do lots to accommodate drivers. Drivers should reciprocate by doing lots to accommodate cyclists. Share the road, and all that.

nice re-direct.....
i think this issue is not limited to cyclists; unexpected door openings are a threat to passing motorists, as well. door swings open, BOOM, door is wiped out by passing car. perhaps not the same risks for injury as with cyclists, but we're talking driver behavior with regard to approaching whatever. unless drivers / people embrace a responsible attitude, in general, you can't MAKE them behave a certain way.
Old 01-18-19, 01:08 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by parkbrav

Well they're not going to do it because we asked them nicely. There has to be liability involved and punishment must ensue. That means law enforcement must take the first steps toward supporting cyclist safety and enforcing the law. Right now that's not happening.

Cyclist have the same rights and responsibilities as any other vehicle on the road. However, at the movement, the majority of motorists behave as if they're doing cyclist a favor; and they can literally get away with murder. Its not just incumbent only on the cyclist to do all the work to ensure safety, in fact, road safety is a two-way street for all parties involved.
Old 01-18-19, 11:10 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Well they're not going to do it because we asked them nicely. There has to be liability involved and punishment must ensue. That means law enforcement must take the first steps toward supporting cyclist safety and enforcing the law. Right now that's not happening.

Cyclist have the same rights and responsibilities as any other vehicle on the road. However, at the movement, the majority of motorists behave as if they're doing cyclist a favor; and they can literally get away with murder. Its not just incumbent only on the cyclist to do all the work to ensure safety, in fact, road safety is a two-way street for all parties involved.
I think the article was proposing some creative new ideas, like making the "Dutch Reach" mandatory in Driver's Ed, and re-designing the driver's side door so that the driver must turn left.
Old 01-25-19, 07:13 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Allowing yourself to get into herd mentality is dangerous.
Words to live by.
Old 01-31-19, 01:10 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I can't believe the people in this thread are still focused on the driver.
You're more likely to get doored by a passenger.

Stop riding in the door zone. Unless you wanna get nudged under the wheels on your left by a 6yo girl on your right...