Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Best headlight for an SP hub?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-19, 12:10 AM
cormacf

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 29 Posts

There seems to be a lot of love for the Edelux II overall, but I know it comes with SON-compatible coax. Is there a preferred headlight for an SP hub? Do the Edelux IIs work fine with them?

First dynamo. Mounting the headlight on a front rando rack, under/in front of the handlebar bag. FT all-weather commuter.

Thanks!
Old 02-02-19, 07:16 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
We have 3 bikes with SP hubs and B&M lights. Sorry I can't recall the model. But I made my selection after some discussion with the folks on a UK site. The # of choices is quite daunting.
Old 02-02-19, 08:25 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
if you want an edelux II, you can get it without the coax. Or get an IQ-X, it's brighter
Old 02-02-19, 08:30 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Almost all hubs are rated at 3 watt, 6 volt. But there are a few 2.4 watt hubs out there. Thus, the brand of hub does not really matter for your headlight. If you want to wire in a taillight, you should make sure you got a 3 watt rated hub.

Shimano and SP hubs use the same wiring connector at the hub.

I assume you already know that the light has to be upright. Some people try to mount a light upside down if they mount it under a rack, but most lights are not well waterproofed on the bottom and mounting it upside down lets rain water in.

Mounting it under a rack - don't mount it where tire spray will throw water at the bottom of the light. Should be mounted off to the side to avoid tire spray.

On the B&M website, for each light they show a beam pattern graphic. That graphic is small and hard to see, but if you right click on it and select open image in a new tab or view image, you can see a bigger graphic. That way you can compare light beams between different models of lights.

I am not suggesting a specific light because my lights are combination ones that include a USB charger for touring. For commuting I assume that is not what you are looking for. But I did buy one of these recently that does not have a USB charger, but have not used it yet so I can't say if I would recommend it.
https://www.bumm.de/en/products/dyna...di-silber.html
Old 02-02-19, 10:45 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Shimano and SP hubs use the same wiring connector at the hub.
No they don't, but they will interchange in a pinch. I would not use one on the other as a permanent installation. The sutherland manual used to have categories of fit. I would give this one a class 'c' fit myself. But the op obviously has the correct connector.
Old 02-02-19, 11:55 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
No they don't, but they will interchange in a pinch. I would not use one on the other as a permanent installation. The sutherland manual used to have categories of fit. I would give this one a class 'c' fit myself. But the op obviously has the correct connector.
For several years I had one dynohub wheel with an SP, but used that one wheel on four different forks. I zip tied the wires to the forks so that I could easily move the wheel from one bike to another without having to re-wire anything, so I needed some extra connectors. I could not find a seller of SP connectors, but the Shimano connectors were easy to find, so I bought them instead.

Since then I have bought another SP and also some Shimano dynohub wheels, I have been using Shimano and SP connectors interchangeably on several bikes with both kinds of connectors, no problem. Other than one being all black and labeled as SP and the Shimano one is partly gray instead of black, I can't tell the difference.

In the photo I have an SP hub with a Shimano connector which is partly gray. (The photo is a bit busy, I have a Tubus Tara rack mounted on the fork.)

Old 02-02-19, 12:00 PM
angerdan

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Lightbulb

The B&M IQ-X is the best choice nowadays.
bumm.de/en/products/dynamo-scheinwerfer/parent/164/produkt/164rtsndi-01-schwarz-164rtsndi-silber.html

Here are more front rack and dynamo first topics:
https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...ack-mount.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...endations.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...yno-light.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/long-dist...-lighting.html
Old 02-02-19, 03:58 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
'Best' is an opinion, after all 6v 3w is a very standard AC output from the hub.. eDelux is Metal, glass lens. , B&M plastic..

I own 2 Schmidt & 1 B&M (Eyc T senso.). I'm a JRA in town rider .. the Eyc on my Brompton.

I personally did not like the folded over wire type plug connector Shimano (& Shutter use)..

But It was thin B&M wire ... if one were to up the wire ga if only just at the hub plug that may be made tighter..

Then follow some of the inline plug suggestions, in other threads, to leave that hub plug undisturbed. .

Old 02-02-19, 04:07 PM
cormacf

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 29 Posts
Thanks, all. Went with the IQ-X and the B&M taillight with the brightening-on-braking.
Old 02-25-19, 02:54 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by cormacf
There seems to be a lot of love for the Edelux II overall, but I know it comes with SON-compatible coax. Is there a preferred headlight for an SP hub? Do the Edelux IIs work fine with them?

First dynamo. Mounting the headlight on a front rando rack, under/in front of the handlebar bag. FT all-weather commuter.

Thanks!
I had the Edelux with an SP hub on my bike. Works great! I don't know what special stuff needed to get it installed, I think the LBS just got a different wire or something.